Intense Uzzi VpX Freeride Full Suspension

• VPP technology
  • Manitou 6 Way Swinger Air rear shock
  • Custom-drawn Easton/Intense aluminum tubeset

Dizzy D   Weekend Warrior [Jun 25, 2011]
Strength:

Overbuilt. Strong. Likes to jump.

Newer models don't look as nice.

I'm a weekend warrior who also makes time at least once or twice a week to try and ride. My preference for riding would be lift/freeriding, but I mostly have time for all-mountain type riding.

Built this last November for lift riding, and this setup is great. Fits exactly the way I want it and does exactly what I'm thinking on downhills, drops, jumps.

The one big surprise is the way this thing CLIMBS. The one trail here I like to downhill on is not lift-assisted, so I have to pedal back up. I'm not big on depending on technology to make up for my lack of skill, but this vpp suspension is DEFINITELY different than others. My build is just shy of 41lbs, and I can't climb as well as this Uzzi on my singlespeed nor my all-mountain rigs. The vpp suspension just sticks and grabs. All I have to do is sit and spin, and stay balanced, and the suspension doesn't disappoint! Now I pedal it xc too! I'm not as fast as my buddies on sub-30lb bikes, but I'm having lots of fun.

As for the rear triangle flex people have mentioned, I can't get it to flex. 150mm rear hub. I'm 165lb, so maybe I'm not heavy enough to make it flex. But it hasn't felt squirmy on me at all, and I can't get anything to bend laterally on that rear triangle.

Best bike I've ever pedaled!

One chili off for value, as Intense is not the most affordable bike out there! Otherwise, a perfect rig!

Similar Products Used: .
chatch   Weekend Warrior [Mar 29, 2010]
Strength:

Everything you would expect. Excellent finishing, versatile, durable, attractive, reliable (so far), and fun. It's a well balanced bike that can take everything from huge drops to cross country in stride with the correct components and settings. Tire clearance is massive and the grease ports really work.

The DHX air shock seems overpowered by the frame in the long travel setting with the longer wheelbase options. If you are heavier than 170lbs? then talk to Intense about this as the shock might not work for you.
The rear triangle is flexy, but it has never bothered me on the trail. The 12mm thru axle helps, but right now it's solid steel and heavy. Let's hope that Intense offers an aluminum one soon. Speaking of the rear interface, the G3 dropouts are boss, however, they have 2 drawbacks. Unless you grease the interfaces they squeak and they are way expensive, $150 each!
The fancy milled out bolt heads are fragile, don't over-tighten them or the socket bore will crack.
The BB is very low, particularly in the long travel mode you will sag quite low to the ground, making pedal strikes a common occurrence.
The rear tire clearance comes at a price. The rear triangle is so massive that with some crank and BB setups the crank arms actually hit the seatstays. This can be overcome with BB spacers, but it's unexpected and caused some paint damage before I figured it out.

In the short travel setting it's as firm as a 5" bike but can take much more abuse. Even though the long travel setting only adds 1/2" of travel, it changes the bike completely. The firmness disappears and is replaced by a the cushiness you want in a park bike. It doesn't pedal nearly as well, but since it's only one bolt, I've started changing this on the trail. Leave it short and dust your friends on the way up, then switch it to long for the rough stuff.

Propedal does help the pedaling considerably. I don't mind using it since it comes with the DHX air, but it's nice to have if you're using this as an all-arounder.

I'd recommend this bike for a small but aggressive rider who like the idea of having a bike that can take on everything on the mountain, from the climbing competition to the biggest stunts. It's direct competition is the Santa Cruz Nomad and the Titus El Guapo. No judgement of it compared to these because they are all good. If you are heavier go with the coil spring or inquire with Intense about whether or not an air shock is a good choice.

Similar Products Used: Giant Reign
freeride_waray   Racer [Jun 23, 2009]
Strength:

can take a beating. had a couple of wallrides gone bad but the frame is still alright. had cased some landings and landed on flats. frames and wheelset build is still ok. and one thing, it's an intense. :)

bearing maintenance at the pivots. but nothing horrible

probably my last bike. found my soulmate. im very happy with it. it's an intense. hehe

Similar Products Used: kona stinky, shawn h3, giant stp, gt chucker, da bomb tora bora
Metanoia   Downhiller [Oct 28, 2008]
Strength:

Build quality, durability, frame strength, and lastly, its an INTENSE!

Haven't figured out how to do maintenance work on the bearings yet :( Sticker set for the frame is a bit expensive.

Do anything bike that makes you do anything with it! 4x, downhill, all mountain, dj, you name it, this bike will

Btw, VPP really soaks up the bumps and pedals very efficiently, not to mention this bike rails!

I just hope that maintaining the bearings for the vpp system will be relatively easy :)

rafarider100   Downhiller [Jul 03, 2008]
Strength:

Strong Frame with a nice aspect , can take a lot of abuse

and pedals really fast with VPP and still climb good for a freeride bike .

none i can see

The Best Freeride Bike out there , its expensive but worth it
makes Konas and specializeds look like 50$ bikes x)

Similar Products Used: kona stinky primo
Ken   Downhiller [Aug 02, 2007]
Strength:

Beautiful, rugged, do everything machine that makes your friends drool and their girlfriends swoon as you ride by ;)

Umm.. doesn't actually do the pedaling for me? Your wife may never see you again during daylight hours? Seriously.. zero, zip, nada, none.

I'm not even sure why this is listed in the "downhill" category, it truly is a "do anything" freeride machine. Mine spends time on the ski lifts one day, takes a 12 mile trail ride up and down the mountains the next and then finishes up with a day at the jump park. You will need to get your weight right up to the bars for serious, mountain goat style climbs, but this bike will do it while still breezing over 6 footers on the way back down. It takes a little bit to dial in the right sag with the VPP design but it pays to get it right. This thing makes you smile just thinking about the next ride.

Similar Products Used: Specialized, Ellsworth, Santa Cruz
gravitykid   Downhiller [Mar 28, 2006]
Strength:

Burly frame. Beautiful workmanship. VP suspension.
Really instills confidence when you're riding.

Rear gear cable keeps popping out

I’ve always ridden a single pivot suspension bike, the same one for the last six years, and I loved it. So, moving onto a VP suspension design was always going to be different.

As soon as I got on the Uzzi I could feel the difference straight away; the whole bike seemed to sink down, as one.
The suspension felt too soft; it was way more active than I was used to and it didn’t feel right. First ride and I threw the bike into its first berm and the whole bike just sunk down into the corner, this unnerved me a bit and consequently I made a hash of it. Time to try again, and remember if a bike sinks down into a corner it probably giving you more grip. So, I hit the same berm again, no hesitation, and the bike railed it, I was gobsmacked. I put my foot down and pedalled like git out of the corner, the pedalling response was like a hardtail, but it totally soaked up the lumps and bumps of the following rooty section. I continued on and attacked the rest of the course, jumps, drops, roots, rocks and all. Ok, so my run wasn’t perfect but after it I knew that given time I would dial this bike and be riding better than ever.

A few months later and having ridden in snow, wind and rain I can say that I am riding better than ever. I carry so much more speed over the ground and can attack things with much more confidence, knowing that the bike will soak up what I throw at it. Tight technical terrain is great too. The bike with my 7” boxxers is well balanced and manoeuvres great; the instantaneous pedal response gives much more direct control, especially at slower speeds.

What about the too soft suspension? Turns out that the suspension wasn’t soft enough, I ended up having to get a softer spring. As this is a totally different beast to my single pivot bike I would have been stupid trying to get it to ride the same. I’ve got used to the plushness, adapted to the bike and changed my riding style to suit it.

The result? I’ve got myself a bike that makes me grin from ear to ear and I’m sure that it will be another six years before I think of replacing this one.

Similar Products Used: Orange Patriot LT
Jim   [Sep 21, 2005]
Strength:

Supple on the drops/babyheads and efficient on the flats. Incredibly capable as an all around bike.

Not touted by MBA bike testers "yet"

If you value bottomless suspension and XC pedalling efficiency BUY IT. Seriously, I bought this for a resort specific bike but I ride it every time I go out now. Still have 3 other bikes hanging from the garage ceiling. Unbelievable how good this bike handles singletrack and technical climbing. The SPV in the fork helps the XC performance and I'm sure the platform in the DHX is an assist as well. Heavy for a XC specific bike, my large is 35lbs, but if you are interested in the VPx you ain't really looking for a weight weenie bike. IMPORTANT: When I ride DH the 729 wheelset and 2.5 tires weigh in at about 8lbs each. Set up for XC the F219 and 2.1 EpicWolfs weigh about 5.8 lbs each. This wheelset difference makes all the difference in riding effort. Hmmm, I'm working to validate the bike as a XC capable ride, but the DH abilities flat kick ass ... but I think you knew that.

Similar Products Used: (Owned) I-Drive, Turner 02, 5 Spot, RFX, ASX(tested)
Drew Dillard   Weekend Warrior [Feb 06, 2007]
Strength:

Don't know where to start. Hairy Chested, Silver Back Gorilla bike. Pedals like my Nobad, no bob, suspension just tracks over rocks, roots, street curbs, little animals, you name it. Gotta dual chain ring with e13 guide for the rough stuff. The suspension feels like it has no bottom, set it up so that you get that sweet sag spot (about 25%) of the travel both front and rear. Make sure your high speed compression is set to prevent bottom-out, low speed to track the small stuff and your golden.. Rebound is a personal thang, I like mine a bit on the fast side but that can toss the faint of heart. The bike can be scary fast when you point it down and let off the brakes, the ridiculous thing is that it will track like a F1 car on the knarliest of trails. It inspires confidence on the scariest of stuff. My first ride was a shuttle run down JPL in the Angeles Forest area and I was picking the sickest lines becasue the bike didn't care, its was sick, and i was scared shtless. It'll climb but the slack head angle will have your chest up on the bars to clear the steep stuff, for for steady climbs, just click in your gears, raise your seat and peddle over anything you see. the xc guys will be pissed that they can't drop you.. Now this ain't no 25lb xc racer, so your quads will look serious after a sesson of pushing this gorilla.

Not enough time to enjoy... Price is worth every penny. Didn't get the Works version

What else could you want? Ask yourself if the fun factor is worth it, the bike is dope...Period.

Similar Products Used: Roucky Mountain Switch (own), Santa Cruz Nomab (own). RM7 (demo'd).. V10 (owned)
Eric Easterly   Downhiller [Oct 15, 2005]
Strength:

It's an intense....nuff said

was only available in red at the time of purchase, other than that NONE.

The bottom line is this, this thing is built like a tank, I'm sure it can take anything I can throw at it and MORE. I have never been more happy with a dh bike than this, it's pedals great, handles like a rally car. The bike loves for you to let go of the brakes and hammer the hell out of it. buy one if you can YOU WILL NOT BE DISSAPOINTED!!!!!!

Similar Products Used: santa cruz bullit, heckler, super 8, cannondale gemini, giant faith