Haro Extreme X3 Freeride Full Suspension

Pedals: Haro DH Platform
Tires: Maxxis Minion DH 2.5

[May 20, 2018]
erictens

Strength:

Good front and rear suspension, shifts well

Very heavy, hard on climbs

Price Paid:
Purchased:
Used
Model Year:
2005
[Feb 03, 2011]
hanmojo

Strength:

great brakes, enough travel, fast on down hill and switch back.

weight, but once it gets rolling it not that bad. I weather lost 5lb then pay more for a lighter bike.

great price for a very capable bike at the time.
Took it to northstar many times, without any problem.

[Sep 20, 2005]
graham

Strength:

strong, super oversized bearings, very plush and just sucks alamost anything.

not enough front spention at all I'm bottiming it out on drops all the time, I would recomend buing a higher travel fork

A great bike all together and I would defininitly recomend buying one

Prophet, divinchi chilli pepper.

[Jun 13, 2007]
Eric
Downhiller

Strength:

the tires... about all that's good on it

everything, including the frame

The bottom line is if you're looking for a bike that can handle even the slightest of freeride, move along to a different bike. This one is nothing more than a waste of money, heavy XC bike. I used this bike for what it is supposed to be used for, light freeride/downhill and the frame snapped right where the swingarm attaches to the rear shock. The front brake went out within a year of ownership, had to buy a whole new one. Of course, right after buying that is when the frame broke. It's a piece of crap, just don't waste the money unless you plan on using it for trail riding.

[Mar 06, 2004]
Matthew Jackson

Strength:

Everything Dirt Jumper 2 fork is great at sucking up 5 footers and the vinella is sweet. great for weekend warrior types who like to do more of a technicle downhill with moderate drops and jumps

weight little too heavey but dont realy mind it pays off big time

This is one hell of a bike! if you like freeride or downlhill i would definitley buy it! the only thing i would up grade is the fork but its got plenty of travel for my needs. this bike is great for weekend warriors who dont mind a 40 pound bike

trek y26 (the worst bike)

[Feb 20, 2004]
Stark

Strength:

Strengths? Strengths? This thing is a tank... one of the toughest bikes around. It is the embodiment of strength. Everything about it is tough and heavy duty.

This thing is heavy! 40 pounds (and add to that lights, a real seat/seatpost, camelback, etc and you’re pushing 50+ pounds of stuff up hills. Of course, then you get to go back down the hills…

The only parts I have to gripe about are the cheesy seat/seatpost combination and the grips. The seat combo (SDG I-hurt) is light, but you can’t use the post with another seat. Do yourself a favor and pick up a Thomson Elite before you leave the store and match it up with your favorite saddle. The grips twist around on the bars, but I can’t tell if the guy who put it together is to blame or the grips themselves. Those are the only two real weaknesses I see.

The brakes got so-so reviews on mtbr but so far they've worked great for me.

Because of some unusual rain in so cal I've only taken the bike out once this first week, but I think I bought a winner.

The trails and guys I ride with are mostly XC types, but I was getting frustrated with my XC-type Big Sur and Sugar bikes. The hard tail Big Sur decended better than the FS Sugar and neither one felt completely solid to me (I've ranged in size from 210-230 lbs on those bikes). I wanted something fit for a clydesdale but with plenty of cush for the tush (not one of the new "big boy" hardtails from Kona).

All the reviews said this was the bike for me.

I tested the Enduro and Heckler along with the X3 and it was the best combination: the geometry felt good, it went over obstacles with almost no effort, and it was a good deal.

I'm not a weight weenie type of rider. I don't race, I don't mind being the last guy up the hill, and my ego is not bruised if I don't clear a climb in the middle ring. This bike will add a few minutes to the time the fast guys have to wait for me at the top... oh well! I ride a bike to have fun and stay healthy, and this bike is up to the task.

Going downhill on the bike is a dream. I used to have a nasty habit of braking all the time when the speed got above 20. On this thing, I don't have to touch the brakes and I still feel completely in control. I was breezing down rock gardens that used to freak me out. I can't wait until the snow clears out to take this thing up to Big Bear to really let give her a workout.

I can't think of a better bike for me that's out there. I thought the Heckler might be the one, but I'm glad I saved the $$ and went with the Haro.

If something changes my opinion during the year I'll let you know...

I went from Fisher Big Sur to Fisher Sugar to Haro X3.

I test rode an 03 SC Heckler in "freeride" setup and a Specialized Enduro when I bought the Haro, and I thought the X3 was the best of that group. The SC was lighter and still tough, but wasn't worth the extra $1000 (especially for being made in taiwan). The enduro felt like my Sugar... a lightweight XC bike. I wanted tough, and that's what the X3 was. The geometry of the bike felt the best of the three for me.

[Apr 08, 2004]
Chris Smith

Strength:

Their is no way to beat the parts spec. on the X3!
Geometry is slack enough, but not too...

The seat and post have to go!!!

I, like others, was shopping for a general abuse sled when I came accrossed the HARO. The first thing that caught my eye was the part spec. It's the kind of stuff you would build a bike with not buy a bike with.I took it for a test ride which turned into a two hour adventure and all was right with the world. The X3's geometry is perfect for a fast/hard play bike. Not as slack as some, not as steep as others. I have been on many rides in the woods with it and some street stuff and every time I am out it makes me smile like a little kid!

An important point to people who are shopping for a trail bike but are a little to burly, like myself, for what the rest of the world call's a "trail bike." The Minion DH tires are awesome!! but weight 1150g each. The Maxxis DH tubes weight 600g each ect. Their is room to take a lot of weight of the bike and still have an awesome trail/abuse bike.

I have been happily abusing my new ridw and have had NO problems thus far. Can not see how you can go wrong with this bike? Even if the frame broke in half it would be worth the monwy for the parts alone!!

Lot's

[Apr 15, 2004]
Andrew

Strength:

Frame geometry is very good and the stock components are good but you may want to change some parts depending on the rider you are

This is bike is great. No matter what type of riding you want to do the bike is awesome. The frame is light so long rides are doable and the bike also holds up to some good downhilling and free riding. For the money you get a great bike and for the most part you dont have to change any components on the bike. Kind of expensive if you are somewhat of a new rider but great for the veteran rider not wanting to dish out 2 thousand on a new mountain bike. I've had many bikes and none compared to this bike when i rode it for the first time. it just feels good riding it.

gary fisher

[Mar 15, 2004]
Tony

Strength:

I'd have to say that the components are the strength of this bike. You can always swap them on to a better frame.

The swing arm crumbled like a saltine cracker, it snapped in 5 places and that was only off of a 3 foot drop. the chain slap can always be resolved with an inner tube or a lizzard skin. The grips tend to slide around a bit and the seat/post combination could be easily replaced for something better.

I'd have to say that i was surprised when the swingarm snapped, other than that, the only complaint i have is about Haro. They have had my bike for two weeks and have not resolved the issue. I've been bikeless for about 2 and a half weeks and the company has not been able to give me or the dealer a clear answer. Their response was that i rode the bike too hard. This is florida for crying out loud and i snapped my collar bone three weeks before i bought it. In any case, make sure you know what youre getting into and dont buy this bike if you're a serious rider.

[Feb 26, 2004]
Mirage

Strength:

Bang for the Buck! I got allot of bike for the price. Pedals great for a heavy bike. The stock parts package was great.

Grips, Chain Slap. Friend of mine snapped his swingarm in 5 places on his 2004 X3.

Only complain I have with this bike are the grips. They slide around and I just don't see the quality in them, though I will wait until they wear out before replacing them. The X3 rides great on Urbans. For a heavy bike, it is easy to pick up, great for benches and picnic tables, etc. Also great on dirt jumps, easy to handle, even for a 150 pound rider like myself. The bike is fine the way it came. I did not have to replace anything immediately.

The chain slap is trivial and can be taken care of with a simple Lizard Skin. Though Haro has placed some padding on the swingarm to address this issue, the padding is out of place and the chain misses it completely.

I'm also a bit concerned about the rear swingarm. I friend of mine also bought the X3 and snapped the rear swingarm in 5 places within a week. Yes, 5 places! He basically broke the main shaft on the swingarm, which lead the rest of the weldings to break away from the main shaft. He's sent it back to Haro and will most likely get a whole new bike out of this. I found myself checking the swingarm every so often during dirt jumps because of this. I'm glad to say that I did not have the same problem. Hopefully, this was an isolated incident that will not result in a recall.

Santa Cruz Bullet, Giant AC1, Santa Cruz Heckler, Canondale Chase, Specialized P2.