GT i-Drive 5 2.0 Freeride Full Suspension

• Pedals: Shimano PDM-520
  • Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore LX
  • Rear Derailleur: Shimano new XT rapid rise

AlexStunts.com   Weekend Warrior [Dec 28, 2010]
Strength:

components, climb,all around great bike

no lock out, weight which doesn't bother me much

I have been into motorcycles for the past 12 years and haven't purchased a mountain bike since 92 93 (trek 9000), they have come a long way, I love this bike and it does everything well. loves to climb and is a good descender, haven't really beat on it yet but so far its great for what I use it for. thinking about upgrading the rear shock and front also a little soft for me plus no lockout in the rear. Awsome bike for what I paid for it and was pretty much brand new.

Similar Products Used: N/A
tritious   Cross Country Rider [May 20, 2010]
Strength:

This is my 3rd season on this bike and I still love it. I used to live in Bend and posted a review 2 yrs back. Salt Lake area has steeper trails than Bend so this bike gets to f#(*in hammer downhills more better and often; which it likes.

wt, fox vanilla r has no lockout

this bike was an awesome deal for $1350

Similar Products Used: kona dawg primo, trek fuel 8, yeti, specialized
mtneertim   Cross Country Rider [Dec 14, 2009]
Strength:

Price, components and ride.

Tioga tires

Love the feel and ride of this bike. Had issue with suspension side to side play, but upgraded free of charge by dealer. Can ride endlessly with this bike. I am 6' 3" and 210 pounds all components have worn well. Have put approx 3500 miles on bikes since purchase. Component mix is excellent for the price. Will upgrade crankset and replace freewheel and chain with Shimano XT this spring.

Similar Products Used: Schwinn DS 2 2001
skid_woo   Cross Country Rider [Apr 14, 2009]
Strength:

Rear suspension design, plush forks, seated climbing ability, rear end grip, ability to handle drops, stiff crank arms

Rear shock (prefer open and pro pedal settings like on RP23 to help with rough descents and climbs, also managed to break the shock by pushing it too hard so required substantial service), out of saddle climbs, bottom bracket, deore shifters, brakes, slightly 'washy' front end, cable rub, adjustable dropouts, tyres in british conditions, weight

Please note I have the 2006 orange bronze/orange coloured model and I purchased it for £600 GBP rather than USD.
This bike is a brilliant descender in a straight line. Point it straight through a rock garden or rooty section and it will plough straight through it. An upgraded rear shock with a more open feel will prevent the rear end getting bucked heavily upwards when the going gets really rough but its still easily controlled. The bikes ability to absorb drops up to about 4-5 ft is impressive as long as you carry speed. I belive a slightly shallower head angle would aid this bike's descending and cornering abilty at speed as it currently has a tendency to start washing out at the front wheel when really pushing it around a non-bermed corner but not enough to slow you down too much. The brakes are fine for moderate use and are good considering the price of the bike, but when used on fast downhill sections they overheat nicely and do lack control/modulation when used on steep scree slopes or rough, rooty sections.
The seated climbing ability of this bike can only be described as epic. It pedals beautifully for miles and miles under enduro conditions. However, the fun stops when you attempt to stand out of the saddle and 'power' it up an ascent. This is where the overly enthusiastic suspension design shoots itself in the foot and seems to be more like a trampoline than a bike (I weigh 152lbs or around 72kg so it can't be said I am too heavy for it). Another possible reason for upgraded shock?
For what this bike can do it is an absolute bargain, however don't expect to be able to push it too hard for too long or it will break :)

siscoOGpimp   Weekend Warrior [Nov 15, 2008]
Strength:

The fork on the bike is amazing. Floats over everything.

The Deore isnt to nice. Maybe I need to adjust it, but the shifting isn't to crisp.

This bike is amazing. I have never bottomed out and yet I have tried to do the hardest stuff to the bike.

tritious   Cross Country Rider [Aug 23, 2008]
Strength:

Everything on this bike is the shizzle, except for the Truvative crankset which I replaced w/an appropriate Saint from Jenson online.

No lockout feature on the Fox Vanilla R, weight

Second season with about 2,500 miles and I love it more every ride. Been riding a 20# hard-tail for 10 years, so I had to get stronger to get used to the extra weight, but the plush ride is totally worth it. The GT is very agile, responsive, has lots of travel, and can stop on a dime, which is good because she just wants to go faster. This bike would be comfortable on almost any terrain, anywhere.

Similar Products Used: Trek Fuel, Yeti, Santa Cruz, Specialized...
Cyclopes   Weekend Warrior [Sep 26, 2005]
Strength:

Great spec, Vanilla R forks, Float R shock, Magura Julie brakes.

Rapid Rise

Awesome handling, great brakes, able to change line wthout compromise. Plush suspension did I say great brakes.
Hidious rapid rise, due to be replaced soon.
Not perfect but pretty damn close.
Try this bike you'll either love it or just like it a lot.

Similar Products Used: GT i-drive 5 3.0, IronHorse Warrior Pro.
PaulD   Weekend Warrior [Aug 25, 2007]
Strength:

Suspension Design, Parts Mix, Value for money

Rapid Rise(for me), Heavy, Cable Rub, External Bottom Bracket

This is the 2006 model in Gold as show on the GT website. This is my first Full Suspension bike after some time away from MTB. I've had a blast riding this bike the suspension design works well uphill and down. It's not a freeride bike more an enduro/all mountain I would say. The newest model has a bit more suspension travel. The component mix works well except for the Truvative external bearing crank which is creaky and as below prone to failure (read the BB review section). The Magura Julie on the rear lacked power when I got it so I had to play around with cleaning the rotor and bedding in the rear pads but it works fine now. I paid $1800-00 aussie at the liquidation sale and there are still plenty of these in shops around melbourne so don't pay any more than that. The Fox shocks are quality items and easy to setup and adjust although I probably need a firmer front spring.

Cables are rubbing on the seat tube quite badly however I'll probably scratch it worse crashing.

Only 4 overall as the crankset should have been better

Bill   Cross Country Rider [Jul 18, 2007]
Strength:

Looks good, climbs great, not too heavy, idrive system is easy to overhaul, good brakes, good tires, locking grips, crisp clean shifting, fork is awesome

could have a better rear shock. fork could have an easier travel adjust

This review is for a 2007 iDrive 5 2.0 - I dont know why the descrip from mtbr says it has a vanilla r or shimano pedals or how the there can be reviews from 05... Anyways, I got this bike from the gt vendor at pedros fest last weekend really cheap. So my value rating is super high. I set up the cockpit dimensions as close to my older gt idrive as possible (lowered the stem and brought the seat back a bit). The handling and climbing is better than my girls superlight. On tight smooth switchbacks, it handles great, but be careful of the wide bars trying to squeeze between the trees. This is also in the freeride category here. I dont think its really suited for freeride, but more for all mountain or hardcore xc use. The 5.5 inches of rear travel is very smooth and there is no bob when climbing. I only said the weakness of the rear shock because I would of liked to see a propedal model on it. But to be honest, it doesnt really need it. It climbs that well. I took it out yesterday on some steep techincal ascents and decents at south mountain lehigh. The rear tire stuck like glue when climbing. The travel adjust on the bomber is a little stiff and takes a bit of effort to use (compared to the new fox 90 degree lever and rockshox uturn), but it does work well. I drop it down on the steep climbs and it keeps the front end down. Crank it back up for the descents and it soaks up everything. I couldnt bottom it out. The air is set to marzocchi settings for my weight (195). I like this fork better than the fox that comes on the idrive 1. It really is that good. The juicy 5's stopped me on a dime when needed but have good modulation. Zero fade. The big front rotor is nice. The idrive also uses 1 1/8 headset bearings and an allen key to get at them. eezy schmeezy.