Devinci Frantik 3 Freeride Full Suspension

Devinci Frantik 3 Freeride Full Suspension

• Frame: Frantik
  • Fork: Rock Shox Totem 2-Step 180mm, 1.5"
  • Pedals: Daredevil AM
  • Seatpost: Race Face Evolve DH 31.6mm

[Dec 10, 2012]
JP
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Stiff, Burly, Uphill is acceptable, Downhill is yet to be tested (but so far i've tested it on a few small steep sections on my local trail and it feels great and gave me a lot confidence on going down on a steep angle).

Stock setup is heavy (based on other riders posts it weighs 40+ lbs), No spare derailleur hanger (its a dropout/hanger combo), Hard to maneuver on tight corners.

i'm posting my review here with the older model because i can't find a review for the 2010 Devinci Frantik. i bought the frameset from ebay for $699 and right there then the look of the frameset grabbed my attention, checked the geometry and weight and i knew this frameset has a lot of potential for an all-around bike. The geometry for the 2010 frantik is identical with the frantik 3, weighs 9.5 lbs. you easily end up having a 40 lbs bike with this frame if you don't have the patience to set it up right but then again if you just want to use it dowhill then it's fine.

i managed to reduce the weight to 35 lbs with my setup which allows me to climb reasonably well although it's going to wear you out faster than a real trail bike or all-mountain bike. The only problem with using this bike with this much travel is maneuvering around tight corners and climbing very steep angles but i solved this with the fox talas adjustable travel, i can adjust it from 180 when going down and 140 when going up. the downside is i have to stop and adjust travel but its the only way. My rig is yet to be tested on a real downhill park next year when MCBP opens on may. I'm pretty sure it's going to perform well. overall i have to give this 4 chillis just because Devinci cannot give me a solid info on where to get or how to replace this hanger and because they stopped producing this bike.

overall is spent $2800

OVERALL
[Jan 30, 2009]
HermanH

Strength:

Takes 6" drops very well, stiff, predictable.

To harsh on small stuff, though this may be due to setup, Heavy - all part of the price

As I only rented this bike, I can only give my short term impressions: After 3+ hours of downhill at Whistler, my fingers were going numb, as I mentioned it leaves something to be desired in the small stuff sensitivity. On the other hand it took the big stuff well, never felt a complaint or bottom out, horst-link is always very active.
can't say much about climbing ability, never climbed with it, it felt quite heavy on straights.