Cannondale Jekyll Freeride Full Suspension

Cannondale Jekyll Freeride Full Suspension

The Go Anywhere, Ride Anything, Two-Bikes-in-One Superbike. Indulge both sides of your personality – no potions needed. With the revolutionary DYAD shock, Jekyll is back with a vengeance and rewriting the rules once again.

[Nov 11, 2012]
Pierre
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Good geometry, climbed pretty well

flexy front fork, funky feeling complex rear shock, chain slapper of a bike, made the down no so much fun

I was not able to dial this bike to my linking for long steep climbs followed by steep rocky drops all the way down. Tried for over a week to no avail, it just was just not confidence inspiring.

Specialized Enduro, Trek Slash, Kona Satori, Trek Remedy

[May 25, 2012]
Doug

Strength:

Plush suspension
Light
Cheap (used)
Reliable
Tough

Proprietary shock (working great now & easy to rebuild but it may be a challenge to replace if this is ever necessary)
Head angle is a bit steep compared to more modern all-mountain bikes
Changing SPV pressure on the shock is harder than it should be

I bought my 2004 Jekyll 1000 in 2010. I mostly ride it for less than 2 hours at a time in technical forest singletrack. It is great for jumps / drops of 3 to 4 feet, probably more but I personally wouldn't say use it for fast and technical downhill riding.

I have rebuilt the shock and the Lefty. They are both relatively simple to rebuild at home without special tools.

This bike can be set up very plush for roots, rocks and downhill and you are still able to control the amount of suspension activity during on climbs and fire roads by twisting the rebound knobs on the shock and fork. They are both easy to reach from the saddle.

I prefer a plush feel to the suspension and the suspension can be set up to float over chatter bumps - wonderful!

Because of the orientation of the valve checking the SPV pressure in the shock (the lockout / anti-bob feature) requires you to disconnect the shock from the swingarm. This is not difficult but it is fussy and it would be great if you could just connect the pump like you can do with the compression valve.

I have the shock mount set to the "Freeride" end of the adjustment which slackens the head angle and lowers the bottom bracket. However, with the bottom bracket set at about 13.25 inches the head angle only slackens to about 70 degrees which is 2 to 3 degrees steeper than today's "All-Mountain" bikes.

However, with the 1.5 inch headset you could buy a fork with a conventional 1 1/8 or tapered steerer and use a Cane Creek angleset headset for another degree or so of slackness. Not sure I will bother doing this with an 8 year old bike.

With the bottom bracket @ 13.25 inches pedal strikes are infrequent but can occur when pedaling over roots/rocks. I don't suppose this is much different from more modern bikes. I have replaced the large crankring with a bashguard though because 1. I can't imaging using the large chainring for the riding I do and 2. the large chainring will take a beating if the bottom bracket is low.

Despite the bottom bracket being set low standover height and seating position seems a bit high (medium frame - I have a 30" inseam).

The bike is extremely reliable. It needed some work when I bought it but just regular maintenance / rebuilding that had been put off for a while. It has never left me stranded.

The rims work great tubeless with Stan's and seem to be bulletproof.

I think the brakes are powerful for 6" rotors but sometimes I would like more bite, especially at the back.

I do detect some lateral flex from both the front and rear wheels during hard cornering and deflections. I'm not sure if it's at the axle or the rim / spokes. The rear quick release is only 9mm and newer bikes have larger axles and are more stiff in this area. The frame and swingarm mount are very thick and stiff and the welding is beautiful.

The black charcoal finish is very durable (despite several crashes) and classy.

It weighs a bit less than 29lbs as I have it set up. This seems very competitive with current "All-Mountain" 5 inch full suspension bikes. (Actually both front and rear suspension are over 5 inches, the rear suspension is 5.5 inches).

This bike is a great buy used for a technical cross-country / all-mountain / enduro rider because it is reliable and easy to maintain / rebuild and most Cannondale parts for the bike are still available.

[Feb 26, 2012]
Hk_Wrex
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Strong , climbs amazing , descends amazing , fairly light for what it is

none thus far

If you are looking for an all around trail bike to get you up and down a mtn. this is the bike. it has seen tons of DH trails and rough rocky trails and took some bad crashes. Awesome bike

giant Trance

[Aug 05, 2011]
Lee

Strength:

XT dual control brakes/shifters, balance of uphill and downhill ability, looks horn, lack of maintenance required to keep it running, suspension, tubeless wheels.

Does not comme with full length shift cables, low spec cranks

This bike does it all. Before this I rode a Giant NRS 1 (still ride it occasionally) because of its pedalling efficiency, but soon began to find its downhill limits. Since I got the 2004 Jekyll 1000 the Giant has been ridden mostly on the road because I can still climb everything on the Jekyll, and it is so good down hill. XT dual control brake/shifters are awesome. You can easily change gear while braking, brakes require no bleeding/adjusting, and shifting is great since I put full length cables on. 130mm Lefty fork with TPC is super stiff, good at climbing and great at descending. 135mm Manitou Swinger shock with SPV resists bobbing nicely, gets heaps of traction when climbing, and feels terrific down hill. This bike is perfect as a do it all trail bike. It climbs well, it descends well and it requires only basic maintenance between rides. Bought the bike new in 2004 and have no plans to replace it with something new.

[Mar 16, 2011]
a0metal0edge

Strength:

Great starter bike. This will get you by until you have the cash for the right bike. Single pivot is really good to learn on. Really a tough bike.

"V" Brakes, Manitou Black Fork, Fox vanilla shock is not good for a all mountain/ xc frame. Proprietary shock is hard to change or find replacements for.

I am new and can tinker, bad combo. I tried building the bike into an freeride bike but really the truth of the matter is this bike is a great xc/ all mountain frame. If you want to buy an old jekyll look for one with an air shock (rp2, floaT). The vanilla on mine hurts my back. Bottom line is its a GREAT BIKE TO START ON! :))

none.

[Dec 13, 2010]
jekyll

great all around bike...have spare road tires

[Jun 30, 2010]
evmeter

Strength:

Solid frame, responds well.

brakes, cranks, bottom bracket

Great bike - even after all the years ahs been a blast to ride and never let me down. Takes all the abuse and keepsn rolling.

HD Super V but broke the frame - the replaced as advertised no charge.

[Feb 10, 2010]
Sergio Güell

Strength:

Excellent bike for my country. High stability. Fast, smoth, GREAT !!!!

Not found any yet !!!

If you could have it , GO FOR IT !!!!

A lot of several MTB brands bikes for more than 30 years

[Mar 11, 2009]
jezmar

Strength:

After several mods, the bike can be built very light. Its an amazing frame, it take everything, climbs like a goat and descents as fast as you want.

the cable guiding is a mess, my shock have the first version of propedal and climbs very well, butt sometimes it feels very linear and needs imo high pressure (180psi)

this bike is a do-anything, xc, long rides, it take dh courses some drops... it represents the All Mountain. Previously I had a 2005 Minute 1 with spv evolve but it felt very rigid, good for climb bot no for go down, with the 44 the bike transforms completely.. other than the shock I thik my bike is still between the new era of AM bikes.

Scott G-Zero, Giant Warp, ...

[Jan 20, 2009]
The JD

Strength:

Frame is solid holds steady even with the beating I have put on it. Factory components are decent for casual riders and the options to upgrade are limitless.

Front fork if a fatty is really weak in performance. The lefty is a step up but still a 100mm travel can only offer so much.

Great bike outperforms the kona's and treks I have tested. I cant say enough about the frame design even 5 years after being made its styling and feel fit me better then the scapel, rush, and other bikes in the category.