Brodie Thumper Freeride Full Suspension

• Crank: Truvativ Ruktion 22/32T
  • Pedal: Wellgo DH Flat
  • Cassette: Shimano 8-spd. 11-32T
  • Rim: Sun Rhyno-Lite 32H
  • Tires: Kenda Nevegal 26 X 2.3"
  • Shifter: SRAM X-7 Trigger
  • Saddle: WTB Power V Freeride
  • Seat Post: Alloy 2-bolt adjust

Craig   Weekend Warrior [Sep 04, 2008]
Strength:

The Frame is bomb proof and Brodie's warranty is awesome

The weight is pretty excessive, a 5/6 inch bike that is 43 pounds is just a little on the heavy side. Subpar B.B and Hubs not designed for this type of bike.

The bike is burly enough for those that are just starting to get into a little freeride, As you progress this bike will just be to heavy and not nimble enough. It served its purpose getting me into mountain biking but i have upgraded

Similar Products Used: Devinci Frantik, Devinci Ollie, RM Switch
Jack   [Sep 03, 2007]
Strength:

Strong frame, good geometry, tough bugger

the front fork that comes with it is pure garbage
manitou stance just flat out blows
pulled it 1 day after riding with it

I got it for cheap at $1200 brand new so i cant complain

swap the stock front fork for something with a bit more travel and you got a great DH / FR bike

Andy   Downhiller [Jun 10, 2007]
Strength:

Strong as hell, great geometry, suspension feels endless, decent climber (for what it is)

no ISCG tabs (but it is an 03), maybe the 3:1 shock ratio is a weakness - it's hard on shocks, or so i've heard...

I picked up this 03 thumper frame for a steal. It's simply the best freeride frame I have used. Has an FSR link so it's stays active under braking and doesn't climb too bad either - for a forty+ pound bike that is. All bearings are sealed and have remained quiet and smooth for the two years I've owned this bike. This thing is burly - I hit 6+ feet to flat all the time and haven't done anything to the frame. I keep breaking other stuff - pedals, cranks, BB's, shock is blowing, wheels, etc. but the frame holds up! Geometry is great - this thing loves to catch air and hitting drops is just effortless. Climbing is a chore but f**k it - this is made for going downhill, and I'll suffer a bit for that. My buddies on lighter bikes can generally climb a bit faster but that can't touch me when the downhill starts.

Don't get this bike unless you wanna climb slow and hit some burly drops on the way down. This is not an XC frame in any sense. I ride epics with it but mainly I can't stand a lesser bike on a downhill. It's not a light frame - my freeride build comes in at a little over 40 pounds.

Overall the prefect frame for me. I plan on getting a platform shock when the crappy Vanilla R finishes itself off and probably a 66 when I can afford it. Can't wait!!

Similar Products Used: Heckler, Chapperal
Andy   Downhiller [Mar 23, 2008]

Pre-05 swingarm cracked

This is a followup on what remains my favorite bike ever. I have since upgraded to a DHX 5.0 (for 6.75" in the back) and a 66 Light. The platform shock really tames this thing on the climb. a 66 is by no means too tall of a fork for this bike either.

I did manage to start a crack in the swingarm near the BB. I hear this is fairly common on the 03-04 swingarms, but Brodie hooked me up with a revised swingarm from the newer frames that corrects this. I've been on that for a year with no problems.

Get this as a frame and build it sweet. (the Brodie build sucks...)