Brodie Diablo Freeride Full Suspension

• Crank: Truvativ Holzfeller 22/32T
  • Pedal: LU-A54U DH Flat. Rep. Pins
  • Cassette: Shimano 8-spd. 11-32T
  • Rim: Sun MTX-S w/Eyelets 32H
  • Tires: WTB Timberwolf/2.5/2.7"
  • Shifter: SRAM X-7 Trigger
  • Saddle: WTB Power V
  • Seat Post: Brodie offset 2-bolt

pennywise   Downhiller [Jul 01, 2008]
Strength:

the brodie diablo 2006 is a smooth ride all the way...really beefy rig...

better rear suspension on it....

this bike rocks... I took it up blue mountain this past weekend and this rig performed wicked....... handles good around berms and drops...

jeff   Weekend Warrior [Jun 21, 2008]
Strength:

Beefy frame, wont break, the components do the job (but they are a lil basic), everything works

the x-5 rear shifter on mine broke relatively fast, but other than that, not much

This is a great bike that will not let you down. the frame will NEVER break, and the components are simple enought that they either will not break or will take like 5 mins to fix max. Great for all around freeride, and works great on downhill courses (i.e. keystone and winter park).

Similar Products Used: Kona skinky, specialized big hit
Rico   Downhiller [Jul 29, 2007]
Strength:

2007 Diablo Size Small- Shorter cockpit, 7" travel, strong frame, 1.5' Headtube, lighter than previous generation

wheels are soft, fork is very basic, rear shock is just ok, still pretty heavy

THIS REVIEW IS FOR A 2007 DIABLO

I bought this as an upgrade to my 2004 Brodie Thumper with a Jr T fork. I tend to ride up and down, so I was looking for a better climber than what I had, but also a bike that can take some pretty serious days on the Shore and Whistler. Surprisingly, this bike climbs pretty well. I love the 1.5" headset with single crown fork which lightens the front, but doesn't sacrifice stiffness. It is a great decender too.

My only issues with the bike are some of the components. The Rockshox Domain fork 302 is very basic and would be better if it were a higher model with U-Turn and Mission Control. The Alex Rims are way too soft and weak. I taco'd my front rim on a warmup run in Whistler and the shop tech who salvaged it said it is way too soft for that type of riding (took alarmingly little effort to straighten). The Nevagal tires are great for the Shore, but they are too weak for Whistler (I've had way too many flats for my liking).

I'm very happy with my Diablo; I just wish it had a few better components for my type of riding. My suggestion, if you have the extra cash, is to go for the Damian model. If this is all you can afford, then enjoy... I sure am.

Trails ridden: CBC, Corkscrew, Pingu, Pangor, Severed D, Neds, Whistler (all blues, blacks and some double blacks), Galbraith Mtn in Bellingham.

Similar Products Used: Norco Six, Transition Dirtbag
john   Downhiller [Jan 07, 2007]
Strength:

solid frame, nice bb / crank choice. Hubs/ wheelset are amazing, solid.

The metel-r shock is a piece of crap, blew fairly quickly, it cannot take abuse at all. The fork isn't that bad, could use an upgrade.

Not bad for the price, fork and shock aren't a great choice, but other than that, it's a nice bike.

kevin   Downhiller [Dec 24, 2006]
Strength:

EVERYTHING! This has been the meanest horse I have EVER mounted! Begs to be beaten...... Gets more stable the faster you bomb through technical sections.... eats big drops for breakfast lunch & dinner, once in a while a midnight snack!

Did you read what I read above? If I HAD to pick something? Yeah, no, I really can't.

Oh, I just thought of one. THERE ARE NOT ENOUGH OF THESE IN THE U.S!!!

If you are ready to go from light FR to full on DH, and still have a bike to suck up the skinnies and ride on walls with relative ease, this bike is taunting you to beat it. BUY ARMOR.

YOUR RIDING STYLE WILL CHANGE, YOUR BALLS WILL GROW & PEOPLE WHO DO NOT RIDE WILL STARE AS YOU ROLL PAST WONDERING WHERE THE ENGINE WENT.

I gave it a 4 chili value rating if you can score one for under $1500.... but upgrade your fork to a shiver or similar!

Similar Products Used: Kona Coiler, Norco A-Line, Big Hit..... none that could hold a candle to it really.
brennan striloff   Downhiller [May 13, 2007]
Strength:

it is pretty strong good bike it is the best bike i have had

none i cant think of anything it is sweet

this is a great bike and it is not to heavy and not to light i think this bike is sweet for all riders