Brodie AWL Freeride Full Suspension

• Shifter: Shimano Deore M510
  • Saddle: WTB Laser-V Comp
  • Seat Post: Truvativ Double XR

Will   [Apr 17, 2013]
Strength:

I loved it while it lasted, It was light, a good climber. It was also plush with 5 inches travel front and back. Unfortunately....

I broke the frame where the left seatstay joined the brake mount.

I bought the frame used and built it up, I didn't see any cracks when I bought it, but you never know. I broke the frame landing a two foot drop, nothing major. If you are buying one used, check for cracks around the stays and (by the sounds of it) around the downtube/bottom bracket too! Great bike, buyer beware!

squalidae   Weekend Warrior [Aug 02, 2006]
Strength:

I have an 06 frame built with 05 components, which makes it more on the aggressive XC than the freeride side. With the manitou fork and shock this bike climbs as good as my hardtail, even though it weigths 29 pounds. Downhill on this bike is great. Very fast and very responsive, the laid back stance really helps in sketchy technical terrain.

If you pedal this bike at low cadences putting lots of pressure on the pedals you WILL brake this frame. So far I've broke 3 in the same spot, down tube and BB weld. For some reason this bike is not very laterally strong. My second warranty frame lasted 5 weeks. But the great side is that brodie is awesome with warranties and just keep senduing them back.

In all fairness this is a very nice bike that only has one weakness, the frame cracks as soon as you start pedaling. I started with a Brodie Cyclone 05 which broke after almost a year of use, the next frame lasted 5 weeks, then I got an 06 frame that lasted about 6 months and then broke in the same spot. In brodies defense I can say that I have been using this bike for XC racing, but then again this is an "all mountain" bike that should be able to take this. All my frames have been broken while pedaling uphill, and believe me where I ride there are no epic climbs, I'm talking about 2 minute dirt piles. So bottom line, if you are considering buying this bike do yourself a favour and get on a powermeter computrainer, if you can produce more than 700 watts then you WILL break this frame.
Value is ok, this bike is a bit on the expensive side, overall it's a great ride that just happens to break. But then again it might only be me since I have only heard of one other rider who has broken 3 awl frames.

Similar Products Used: Rocky mtn element, cannondale rush
Mike   [Jun 29, 2006]
Strength:

Reasonable weight for a trail bike of 5+5 coming in at about 31 lbs. As with past Brodies, it climbs like a billy goat. Great all-round geomety for climing and bombing back down.

Chain slap like you wouldn't believe when descending. Have tried different chain tensions as well as chain guides and nothing seemed to help.

This bike is what I've been waiting for; a nice blend of XC and DH geometry making it the perfect bike for my back yard - Mt. Fromme.