Banshee Bikes Scythe Freeride Full Suspension

The Scythe capturesThe spirit ofToughness. It was madeTo beTheTool ofTheTrade forThe no nonsense rider. Nothing stops Scythe riders from gettingToTheTrails. Everything onThis bike is engineeredTo let you ride it hard, withstandThe elements, all with minimal maintenance. You dont needToTreatThis bike with any respect, but you can always count on itTo get you home.Features: Adjustable geometry: Go from FreerideTo DHTo suit your riding environment AdjustableTravel: Go from 8"To 7"To suit your s

Nasmasha   Weekend Warrior [Aug 04, 2011]
Strength:

Geometry - aggressive yet agile; adjustable; durable (this bike is not treated gently and other than 1 pivot bolt breaking in 2 years of park riding, I've had no issues at all (knock on wood))

Not super heavy, but there are lighter comparable bikes out there. Reasonably expensive (but you get what you pay for IMHO).

This is a lively and nimble DH rig that will eat up as much steep and dirty as you can feed it. I generally keep mine in the long-and-low 7" travel position and ride mostly at Whistler, Silverstar and on Cypress. My Scythe feels just as much at home on jump trails and stunt trails as it does carving berms and gobbling up rock gardens. I hope we are together for a long time.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Big Hit, Rocky Mountain Switch, Norco A-line
mountaingoat111   Downhiller [Aug 03, 2011]
Strength:

AWESOME , stiff , tracks awesome, pedals awesome !!!

NONE...

Banshee Bikes is an awesome company !!! The bikes are great !! Go buy some !!!

Similar Products Used: Bullit and Scream
Kane   Downhiller [Apr 13, 2011]
Strength:

The bike handles great, pedals great. The geometry/travel adjustments work well and makes heaps of difference. It looks good. Not every one has one. They are cheap

Now i love my Scythe but there are weaknesses (literally) The frames crack at the bottom bracket/seat post junction. I know of 2 scythes that this has happened to(including mine)and a frame repairer said it is common. My bike has also developed a hair line crack on the bottom drive side chain stay, i also know of another scythe this has happened to. And this next one may be my fault but i have heard of 2 other banshee frames breaking here. I came off a pretty fast large jump/drop hit a foot deep pot hole and cracked the frame just below the cable guides which sit above the top shock mount. Given this was a pretty heavy stack but my 09 boxxers survived and so did my front wheel and i would have though both would have given way before the frame. The other weakness is that the rear suspension doesn't work to well under brakes, but this is pretty minor.Bear in mind that i bought my scythe second hand and it had been raced for a season so who knows what happpened to it before i got my hands on it.

The banshee scythe is a great frame to ride, the adjustability makes it really versatile.Very well priced, I looked for a new frame when i broke mine and anything comparable was a couple of grand for a frame only so i got mine fixed for a couple of hundred instead. The frame is fairly light but i feel it needs extra gusseting especially at the seat post/bottom bracket junction. Even with the issues ive had i think its great and i would recomend the frame, it rides well as both a downhill bike and a free ride. the extra off set i got with the reducer cups has made it handle the downhills even better. If banshee were to release one with a bit of extra strength ide buy it straight away and recommend them to every body. But because of the breakage issues ive had i have to subract 2 chillies

Similar Products Used: Im sure theres some about but i havn't ridden any of them
Rockhucker   Weekend Warrior [Sep 20, 2010]
Strength:

Lightweight, stiff, active suspension, and hadles very well

Headangle is more aimed at freeride than downhill so I would reccomend a Cane Creek angle set to get your angles slacker for DH.

A very solid bike that is able to rip downhill while still being able to be an agressive freeride bike. I would strongly reccomend this bike if your into drops, jumps, and rock gardens since it does these things very well. I have pedaled this bike up quite a few hills but it really is a chore and I wouldn't reccomend it unless theres some solid downhill at the top. I have my bike built up pretty burly and it weighs 43LBS but it wouldn't be hard to drop well under 40 with the proper part spec.

Solid, strong, lightweight, and of course really fun to ride= awesome value.
Thanks Banshee again

Similar Products Used: Banshee Scream, RM7
RBrady   Weekend Warrior [Sep 04, 2010]
Strength:

Great strength to weight ratio. Suspension feels bottomless.

Havent found any yet. Very solid frame w the 150 rear and the 1.5 headset

Been on several bikes in my 20 plus years of hard riding. So far Banchee Skythe is by far my favorite. Looking to soon replace Fox shock w custom Elka w ti spring. Should be the icing on the Birthday cake.

Similar Products Used: Foes Inferno and Foes Fly
krisdaphrk   Weekend Warrior [May 21, 2010]
Strength:

Light and durable also at very reasonable price. Great function and low maintainance.

None found yet

First time i opened the box i noticed the clean lines and quality of details that are specific for Banshee. Frame looks really simple first sight but after that you start to realize its well engineered. Felt light in my hands. Got i assembled with low stack headset and a DC fork set to 555a2c and front end feels great in terms of stability in corners or tech sections. On the 7" DH setting rear end feels really lively and tight and a bit more stable than the 8" setting. Once you set your rear shock right with a proper amount of compression to not compress unnecessarily after passing obstacles and proper amount of rebound damping to track the terrain better, you will get good amount of confidence to ride more aggressively. Feels like its utilizing more travel over obstacles letting the energy escape somehow easily and not bring harsh feel. Linkage feels progressive enough and not too much, gives confidence for big stuff. Pedaling is is quite unique and i was amazed how independently the rear end was reacting under pedaling. Never felt pedal kickback on landings or riding over big rocks. Under braking it performs good enough for me because i always trying to do braking when i should. It provides enough maneuverability in occasional bottom out if you need to do an emergency change of direction. Bearings are still like new after a season. My advice - don`t spend too much money for something fancy and flashy. Save more money for riding. Get this one and you wont be disappointed cos function here is over fashion.

Similar Products Used: Banshee Scream
fighterkyle   Downhiller [May 20, 2010]
Strength:

Pedals great, but still plush

some brake jack on the rough stuff

This bike has done great on the techy rough downhill trails but i also love to take it to the jumps and more freeride stuff. It's my only bike and i take it on the XC trails near my house and it does great. don't get me wrong, you're not taking it on the epic 30 mile rides but its gonna do fine at your local state park. This bike is good at most types of riding and GREAT at the more extreme stuff

Similar Products Used: iron horse yakuza
DQ   Weekend Warrior [Oct 06, 2009]
Strength:

The Scythe is a fun bike that tames the toughest downhill courses.
Jumps very well
simple, strong and stiff

There is a reason I now own 3 banshee's (mythic here in UK). their products are as good as any out there, and their customer service and attitude is secnd to none.

I snapped a bolt head off... but you get a spares kit with the frame so was an easy replacement. In fairness I had overtightened it

I'm not a DH racers by any means, but I do feel I can ride faster on this bike than I ever have before. What I really love about this bike however is the way you can jump it around the trail with ease, and how good it feels on big jumps. it inspires confidence, and I've had a great summer on this beast, inclding a week in the french alps. The rune is a great choice for a DH worthy bike that is fun to ride.

Similar Products Used: Demo 8
Gruntled   Racer [Jul 20, 2009]
Strength:

Four bikes in one! (Seriously, all the settings really do work!)

None.

Simple, strong, light and adjustable. I use the FR setting when I want a really "sharp" responding bike, and the DH setting for when more slack and deeper sag is required. Each of the settings creates a new feel to the bike, but the essence of the Scythe is fast, agile, light, responsive.... and it pedals very well too. I keep a granny ring on mine and can get up long and steep climbs, almost like a XC bike. The frame has proven itself VERY solid, and all the pivots and bearings are like new, with only one greasing. I ride this bike offroad at least 5 days a week, and have punished it severely, and competitively in many DH races. It remains immaculate.

Bottom Line: I cannot fault the Scythe for a DH/FR bike (which is also somehow amazing on XC trails). This bike is the King on my stable. For a pure DH race machine I'd choose the Legend; for more versatility choose the Scythe.

And then try and wipe that silly grin off your face :)

Similar Products Used: Many different DH and FR bikes. This is my "do everything" bike, and is the best so far (outshines my Ventana La Bruja for FR, for example, and keeps up with my Turner DHR at the same time on DH).
msisle1   Downhiller [Jul 11, 2009]
Strength:

Simple, bombproof and confidence inspiring, sum it up. The adjustments make a noticeable difference to head angle so easy to setup how you like it. Ridden it hard for an entire year at Whistler and the North Shore, with no maintenance and still running sweet! What more could you ask for?

The frame came with an allen key seat clamp, rather than a QR clamp. This bike pedals well uphill, and has an uninterrupted seat tube so why not speck it with QR clamp? After all, uplifts aren't available all the time! Yep that's it.

A brilliant bike that keeps you riding all year round without requiring time consuming maintenance. The geometry and suspension is so good and confidence inspiring that you soon find yourself hitting bigger and gnarlier terrain without a seconds thought.