Banshee Bikes Rampant Freeride Full Suspension

Banshee Bikes Rampant Freeride Full Suspension

Banshee Rampant 4X Frame 2012: Big things can sometimes come in small pacakages, and the rampant 4X has the heart of a true champion. This competition 4X/dual slalom frame provides a firm pedal stroke as soon as you stand on it at the gate and...

[May 23, 2010]
Trekbro
Downhiller

Strength:

I love the attention to detail on the frame, how it has been build, everything was faced, ready for me to install parts, the clearcoat on the raw frame is nice, I love how the bike looks, and rides, best short travel bike I ever had, feels lot better and pedals lot better than many other bikes I had, the handling, the strength and the people behind Banshee makes this bike so amazing.

the Rampant is amazing, been riding the local spots and the handling on the air is really nice, well balanced, once in the air it goes by itself so you can do some tricks, I overshoot a few jumps when I started riding this bike, is very fast, in the berms the low bb and the stiffness of the frame keep you under control and shoots you out of the berms with a lot more speed, you can pedal after and you will have enormous amounts of speed; that's in the dirt jumps.
let see in the Freeride/slopestyle side.
I thought the bike will be hard because of the shot travel, when I'll use it on the freeride features, been hitting big drops, cased a couple of times, and the frame/suspension, helped me a lot, when I cased a gap jump off a drop, the bike felt solid, I used almost all the travel, I was afraid of destroying the XTR crnaks that time, but they hold up good but got me a bit worried so I changed them for the Racefe AtlasFR just to ad more confidence when I go big, so the biggest jumps I have done so far are around 20 to 25 feet drops to transitions, then big gap jumps at high speed, everything got handled really nice, the bike gave me the confidence to go bigger, so I'm building bigger features 35 to 40 feet gaps are my goals for this year, I know the bike can handle them and bigger jumps, it did help me a lot progressing in my riding.

now the XC/AM side of the Rampant.
XC Trails around here are flowy so not really hard but they get technical; haven't had the chance to do big mountain rides, or really long climbs; but so far in our local XC trails, I have been able to go in the pack with the fast riders, berms, and descends are the favorite of the rampant, the uphills are a bit hard but since the VP4 design make the bike feel like a hardtail when you pedal up, I've been able to stay with my friends on their lightweight XC bikes, my rampant weights around 38 pounds, the VP4 suspension helps me to not waste energy on the uphills.

I haven't ridden the Rampant on a real DH trail yet, but I'll take it to Snowshoe Mtn in WV, and take it in the Dh trails, I'll write about how it'd go.

Transition Bottlerocket,Double; Kona Stinky, CowanDS.

[May 10, 2010]
PaulGenovese
Downhiller

Strength:

I was originally going to use this as a sort of slopestyle/Dirt jump bike, but instead I put on gears and a front brake.
I was incredibly surprised on how well It rode on trails! It was fast and light, and could rip around corners faster than my old DH bike.
I have also used my rampant on jumps, and It rides good aswell. It was smooth on flips and 360s, and was light enough to do pretty much any trick on.
This bike is great on everything!

Single pivot rear suspension, suspension bolts come loose very easily after dirt jumping.

I would recommend this bike to anyone looking for a light fast versatile small full suspension bicycle.

Giant Reign, Banshee Wildcard, Kona Bass

[Apr 30, 2010]
jordan m

Strength:

Amazing paint, very stiff, perfect geometry.

Bike is AMAZING. Banshee did an amazing job with this bike. Corners like an Audi R8! With the bike's internally ribbed chainstay, hydrofoarmed tubing and bushings in the pivot points instead of bearings it is very stiff ride. Great paint, havent had one paint chip yet. Bike handles like a bird in the air! spins flips and tricks no problem. Hands down best bike I have ever ridden. Frame is pretty expensive, but what can I say, you get what you pay for!

transition double, transition bottle rocket

[Nov 11, 2009]
Jackf40
Downhiller

Strength:

Really flickable, accelerates crazy fast, dialed linkage, super light, perfect geometry. The frame feels really stiff and solid, yet very agile. The geometry provides a nice and low center of gravity with a low bottom bracket so you can RAIL corners! The color is awesome too! I have the raw and it has a great finish that you can't chip or scratch. My favorite thing about the bike is how well it jumps. Most fullys feel long or awkward in the air and this one feels solid from its low center of gravity and light weight.

Overall, PERFECT bike! I can't find a single thing to say bad about it! It truly is a do-it-all bike. There have been many days where I will ride dh in the morning and dirt jumps in the evening with no worries at all! The bike RIPS on trails, with it's stable low center of gravity and aggressive geometry. The linkage (Virtual Floating 4 Bar Pivot) is incredible as it lets you accelerate sooooo fast. That was the first thing I noticed when dropping into the trail on my first ride with it! It feels like it's locked out when you are pedaling but fully active when it is needed! The bike is amazingly light too! That makes it that much easier to accelerate out of corners and flick around in the air. It's very rigid as well, and instills confidence when thinking about hitting bigger stunts. I've hit some pretty big stuff with mine and never once worried about the frame's strength. The bike jumps soooo well too, even on dirt jumps. I jump mine at the Post Office jumps often without thinking twice. Not only that, but it's easy to trick due to it's low stand-over, light weight, and natural geometry. Overall an incredible bike! I recommend this frame to anyone riding fast trails, looking for a full-suspension dirt jump frame, competing in slopestyle, racing dual slalom or 4x, and hitting jumps and gaps of pretty much any size! This is the most versatile bike I have ever ridden and couldn't be happier with it!

Specialized SX

[Oct 09, 2009]
deejaybee_101

Strength:

Light, small, very direct geometry that corners very well and lets you move around the bike easily. Effective rear suspension for it's intent

Rear tyre clearance only just fits a 2.35 High Roller; there is about 4-5mm clearance on the drive side which could easily be clogged with mud. Sure given the nature of the bike this may not be an issue, and I have not had an issue to date, but it's worth you knowing if you are considering; high rollers are thin already.

I'm 5'10" and need to use a 410mm seatpost to get enough extension to ride *to* the trails, and for me I wouldn't want to be doing substantial XC on this bike, it becomes uncomfortable after a while.

But point it towards tricky technical singletrack, jumps, drop and downhills, and I can honestly say that this is most fun I've had on a bike in ages; it offers access to a whole different world compared to trail bikes: it's easy to pick up on the trails and throw it around, it pedals well, bottoms out well and corners superbly. This is what its designed to do, and it does it very well.

32T front is fine for both up and down in the UK, but I suspect it would ride better with a larger ring up front (to be tested).

The Raw finish looks superb and is the subject of much trail envy.

Can't fault it for value, and I can live with 2.35 ST high roller rear.

Variety of hardtails, Marin/Orange full-suss trail bikes.

[Jul 04, 2009]
JayneEm
Downhiller

Strength:

This 2009 frame looks sweet! The paint job is quality, the Candy Red/Raw colour sparkles a little in the sunshine (not too much boys!). :)
It feels light but also robust.

I currently only have the frame and I am building it up. No weaknesses with the design or paint job.

Although there are probably cheaper 4X frames on the market, this one stands out as a quality product worth the extra $.

It isn't a bike that was pulled out of the factory and quickly slapped together and put in a box. It has obviously been made by a company who pays attention to detail and cares about their products. It was lovingly wrapped inside bubble wrap and padding, which took me a good 20 mins to unwrap!! Just like xmas!

I am so excited to ride this bike out once its built. When I get it out on the trails and jump park, I will provide more feedback.

Norco one2five, GT Brian Lopes, Mini DH Commencal.

[Sep 11, 2008]
heppy

Strength:

Light weight (27lb), stiff rear end, geometry is low and tight making it super fun and fast in corners and jumps.

Bottom line this is the best most fun bike i've ridden to date, I've ridden every kind of terrain on it now DH/FR/dirt jumps and its been a dream to ride in every aspect. At first i thought it would only be good for DJ's and smooth single tracks but i soon found that it could take a good hit from a drop or fast chundery DH. The suspension is really progressive it was sucking up all the small bumps on the DH , as soon as there was a hard hit it would use the 4inchs of travel extremely well to maximize the smoothness and control of the ride. This also applied for Freeride and drops which i was very pleased with. The biggest areas it excelled in was definitely corners and any kind of Dirt Jump. Because its so light and tight it makes it a joy to throw around and show who's boss in both corners and in the air while doing tricks. The Rampant helps a lot with tricks too, tailwhips,360 and general style all became easier and more natural because of the tighter rear end and general low stand over height of the bike.
At the end of the day the bike is a blast to ride and inspires extra confidence.

Banshee wildcard

[May 31, 2008]
Claus Wichmann
Downhiller

Strength:

Light weight. Lateral stiffness. Fun factor.

Hmmm none really.

After finally getting the bike assembled, I have used the Rampant at my dirt jump spot and pumptrack. Being an old man at 45, I have ridden many different bikes in the past 15 years but The Rampant stands out as defiantly being the most fun bike I've ever ridden. The Rampant has helped take the "spikes" out of my back on sketchy landings and will let me go further and higher than I would with out it. A little more work on the pump track than a hard tail but with a very lateral stiff rear; so super quick out of the gate, that even a BMX racer got impressed trying it. A real dirt bike for any 4X - Dirt Jumper or "Hack around" race dude out there. The Banshee guys does it again.

Identiti Mr. Hyde (old 4x) Identiti Dr. Jekyl. Revell 450R Rotec. Banshee Scirocco. DDG Shooter.

[Nov 07, 2007]
Kevin Jones

Strength:

Oh my god, the Rampant is a beast of a machine!

It is like riding a perfect 4X hardtail, but when you need it you get suspension to cussion any impacts! Seriously, this bike accelerates and jumps better than any other bike!

amazing suspension system, plush on the hits and rough stuff, but doesn't move at all under pedaling! It corenrs like it is on rails and is so nimble and low! I love it!

N/A

The best 4X bike that I have ever had the pleasure to ride! I thought that my yeti was fast, but the Rampant just blows it out of the water! If you are a 4X racer get this bike! you can also use it as a great little jump bike and even shred down the local trails, man it is just so much fun! This bike has enabled me to go faster and higher and push my limits much further!

Yeti 4X
Commencal meta 4X

[Feb 14, 2008]
Brent W.

Strength:

The thought and effort put into refining the design is readily apparent. Quality of materials, construction, fit and finish are excellent.

none found

After a few rides, I can say without doubt that the Rampant is the most fun bike I've ever ridden. I am impressed by the lateral stiffness and instant power transfer - the bike just hooks up and goes. I would classify the handling as well balanced and the steering as highly responsive without twitchiness. And it just rails through the corners, amazing and SO MUCH FUN. The guys at Banshee nailed it with this bike.

Transition Double, assorted hardtail DJ bikes