Waterford 2400 Frameset

Waterford 2400

elpaso   Cross Country Rider [Mar 09, 2011]
Strength:

Amazing steel frame quality and finish from the 90's, read head turner, all my buddies can't keep away their eyes from its lugwork and stainless dropouts; whoever tried it, just loves it! The mechanics at the LBS all circled me to see and touch this baby, once I entered their shop. It seems there are not too many around. I managed to get it second hand and built it using rigid fork and XTR M960 components and what a ride! Love technical trails and this baby allowed me to built a light MTB under 21 lbs. Reynolds 853 tubing is great for MTB hardtail, great for city use too.

Can't think of any...

Still one of the best hardtails frames for technical ride. Ride it to believe it!

Similar Products Used: Mid-90's Specialized Rock Hopper FS Nitium steel, Early 2000's Rocky Mountain Race and Rocky Mountain Element 30, 2006 Rocky Mountain Team Scandium
JD   cross-country rider [Mar 26, 1998]

Ihave raced xc in arizona and california. Big climbs, technical downhill and fast rolling courses. I love this frame. It has survied brutal crashes and is hardly dinged. Waterford is bulding me a new frame for this season because I want a flater seat tube angle. You can customise your geometry and that is a great advantage when your are fine tunning for better perfromance. I have ridden ti and aluminum and I don't think you can beat this one for overall ride.

Brian   Racer [May 17, 2001]
Strength:

Beautiful paint, unmatched ride, real head turner.

The paint is beautiful, but it scratches pretty easily for a mountain bike because it's a high quality enamel. Still, the scratches I have put on the frame give it character, and anyone who looks at the frame knows I ride it as it deserves to be ridden =) It's also a very expensive frame at $1600.00 retail, but you do get what you pay for.

where do I start... I'm nuts about bikes, so I've owned a lot of them in just about every discipline. No bike I have ever owned has come close to this one. I'm in the middle of my fourth season on my Waterford, and I can't imagine getting rid of it. I was thinking about getting a custom Seven Cycles soft tail made earlier this year, but when I started going through their (extensive) custom form I realized that I was basically asking them to build me a bike that would ride exactly like my Waterford!
As a side note, I have yet to run into another Waterford rider on the trail or at a race. I see the occasional road frame, but there aren't too many MTB frames out there. I love that about this bike; I'd really hate to shell out this kind of money for a Trek or Cannondale and see 30 others just like it every time I show up to race. So, here's the bottom line: If you want a high end hardtail bike, you simply can't buy a better one. Good luck!

Similar Products Used: You name it, I've probably ridden it
Eric Halvorsen   racer [Oct 09, 1998]

I love my Waterford...!!! I worked in a bike shop for many years, and Waterford makes the greatest bikes...!!! Light...!!! Handles great...!!! Etc...!!! If you want a bike that perfoms great in any area on riding, over any terrian, buy a Waterford 2400... I race on my bike almost every weekend now, and it's still going stronge...

happyboy   cross-country rider [Jan 31, 1998]

I've owned a Klein Pulse. It climbed like a fiend but was way too stiff for downhills. I've owned a Ventana El Habanero. Fun, fun bike but was a little too heavy for my tastes and it bobbed too much on the climbs. It also broke twice in less than a year. The 2400 frame is the perfect balance. Light (4lbs) and the ride is amazing. The 853 tubing is awesome. It seems to spring off hits and it's a really comfortable frame. I got the frame for $1050 and I can't see spending so much money on a ti frame when 853 tubing is so sweet. And you can't compare a low end frame like an Obed with this frame. I haven't ridden a Merlin XLM or a Tellico but they can't ride much better than the Waterford. At least to justify the $2400+ price tags on those frames. Consider this frame if you're looking into a high-end hardtail.