Ventana Marble Peak FS Frame Frameset

Marble Peak FS Frame

Ventana Marble Peak FS Frame

mark   Weekend Warrior [Jul 24, 2007]
Strength:

Superior overall quality, design and execution, incredible rear end stiffness with luxury automobile-type ride quality. Of course the renowned amazing customer service.

No such word exists at Ventana

I bought this very heavily used frame at the end of last year (2006)for my wife, to set up as a heavy-duty all mountain/trailbike (hence the weight). I restored it as best as I could without stripping the paint. It is 10 years old and rides better than most if not all brand new high end bikes. It's that good. I have another Ventana, a custom 6" El Saltamontes and the rear triangle is not as tight as the Marble Peak. Another gem from Sherwood, but kindly disregard all of the above, as I plan on buying up all of the used ones that I find, for myself, family and friends.

Similar Products Used: Other Ventana's, jamis, gt, giant, specialized, khs, etc.
Patrick   cross-country rider [Sep 21, 1998]

Awesome bike! The frame is very stiff, the suspension is always active but still it does not bob. The built-quality seems to be very good. Never had a problem until today (only half a year but I ride often).
It's a joy to ride the Marble Peak up- and downhill. It is light and nimble and it looks cool.
All I can say: Get one!!

Ken Burns   racer [May 12, 1998]

To be honest, I hated this this bike for the 1st 3 months I owned it. I have the 4 1/2 inch rockers & FOX 5R on the rear and Z1 Bomber on the front. I built it with super hi-end components & it came in at 26 lbs. Not a bad weight so I expected it to climb like the wind but it didn't. I could not stand the monkey motion while climbing. The excessive movement drove me crazy & made me much slower adding as much a 7 min to my normal 6 mile Time Trial (hardtail) time. I had to send my Noleen shock in to K2 to get rebuilt on my FS Giant team 990 which took 4 months, so I started riding the Marble Peak. With some setup changes, I got it to perform very nicely. Heavy springs in the Z1 and massive preload on the FOX. It is not very supple on the small stuff but will take large hit very effectively. After 6 months of riding it, I have learned to spin and climb smoother and absolutely love it. I just put my Giant back together (3 1/2 inches of travel) and it feels like a hardtail by comparison. If you set the Ventanna up soft it will downhill like a dream but climb poorly. Stiffen every thing up, and most hard core riders will love this bike.

Chris   Cross Country Rider [May 10, 2000]
Strength:

It looks awesome and rides like it looks: laterally stiff rear end (for a average weight rider) and climbing traction is brilliant. Descending: tracks like it's on rails and goes boing like a boingy thing should. Lovely balance between responsiveness and forgiveness.

Nothing major, ocasionally squeaky pivot which is easily fixed with a bit of lube.

A work of art, and the best general fun trail riding bike I could imagine. Sweet, responsive, won't throw the unwary. There are longer travel rigs around, but for a good balance of weight, response, climbing and descending this is the goods.

And did I mention it goes boing?

Similar Products Used: Various other ppl's fs bikes
Alvin   Weekend Warrior [Dec 20, 1999]
Strength:

weight, cache, looks, welder (Sherwood Gibson), customer service (Charlie Gallagher), design

a bit dated, bushings

This is my first full suspension bike and I have to say I'm probably the last HT convert on the face of the planet and I just have one thing to say, why did I wait so long? This is a trailbike, make no mistake about it. People say this can be used for cross country. These are hardcore riders not weekend warriors. I built this up to get it as light as I could within budget. It came in around 25 lbs. That's pretty light, but I also own a Dean Oscar and that weighs around 22.5 lbs. I'll take it on longer trips without missing a beat. Anyway, full suspension is nice uphill and down. Uphill, I feel more secure. The bike really grips the curvature of the path and I feel like I'm making a connection. It's the downhill, where this bike shines. It'll carve a corner and almost make the corrections for you, it's that accurate. The rebound clicker is set to 2 and there is no evidence of bounce. With the four bar design, this baby locks on the uphill and becomes full active on the downhill. Very good design Sherwood! Sure, there's plenty of alternatives out there, but when the dust of time settles, the aesthetics of this bike will take it well into the next millenium. Horst, URT, whatever, those designs simply can't hold a candle to a traditional diamond frame. Call me sentimental, but this thing looks and behaves like a work of art on wheels. I chose the parts selection very carefully and have to thank Cambria Bikes for making this bike a reality. I am building a website for this bike soon, so email me if you would like the address. All the parts mentioned in the setup will have a review, so check em out. I give truthful honest review. Sure, I could've reviewed these products the minute I pieced the bike together six months ago, but I wanted to see how well things held up over time. Read on to find out how the other parts on this bike faired. Peace and 5 flaming chicken grease.

Similar Products Used: FSR-XC, K2
Larry Magoo   cross-country rider [Jan 29, 1999]

I have been riding a Marble Peak FS for almost 4 years now and love it just as much as when I first got it. I have White Bros SC 90's and the 3.5 travel kit on the rear and thru careful choice of components got the thing to 24.00 LBS! With the ultra stable rear end(yes they had some evolution with different bushing materials, but at least they were always willing to repair it for free. They inspected my frame after my first bearing replacement, and found a crack in the downtube/head tube junction. They never hesitated to replace, for free, the front tube set!) Now they have a material that is to last a while. Other large companies would not respond that way, thats for sure. Besides, the owner, Sherwood Gibson personally welds all tube sets! What a commitment! I very much LOVE this bike! In fact, I just got thru building a brand new EL Fuego. Think of this bike as an even MORE Responsive, but ONE POUND LIGHTER Marble Peak! By the time I get my soon forth coming White Bros. UL 90's and Mora-Ti Crank, I will have a ride that weighs 22.25 LBS! Do you know how to spell awesome!!!VENTANA RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Slim   racer [Jan 09, 1999]

Ventana makes some of the best bikes in the world. Well at least thats my opinion. I started out with an El Habenero in '96. I raced it for a full year and beat it up in Moab, but sure enough it started getting a litle loose in the rear end. I called Ventana and asked about it, they told me if I sent it to them they would replace them for free and pay to ship it back. A few days after they received it they called me to say the frame was cracked. After I finished freaking out they said they could send me a new Marble Peak for a couple hundred bucks. I've been riding my new frame for over a year now and the bushings are still like new. It's amazing the customer service you get from small companies,and I really enjoy supporting the little guy. The frame is stiff, has excellent ride characteristics, is fairly light, and all around kicks ass. I'd recommend this bike to anyone who is serious and has the funds for a custom frame.

Slim   racer [Jan 09, 1999]

I believe the Ventana Marble Peak is one of the best bikes made. The frame is fairly light, has excellent suspension action, and is very simple and reliable.I had an El Habanero that I sent to Ventana to get the bushings replaced for free, and they called me to say that the frame was cracked. After I finished freaking out they told me they would warranty it and send me an upgraded frame for nothing, oh how I love small companies that stand behind their products. I've put over 1500 miles on my new frame with no problems and virtually no bushing wear, and the powder coat paint still looks like new. All in all a great frame.

Jeff   cross-country rider [Nov 28, 1998]

Got a Marble Peak at the begining of last winter(Dec 1997)
Needed to get a dualie because I was recovering from a broken back and could not ride a hard tail. WOW.... this has been a great bike! It climbs very similiar to a hard tail and when you go down hill, look out!!!
The only comment on the negative side is the maintence issue of any dualie, you have to keep them clean to expect the best from them!!BTW...I am selling mine, a 20 trans purple with 4.5 travel kit, and Sachs front derailleur...$950(why am I selling? Two reasons, one my wife bought it for me as a getting better present and we have since divorced and it is a painful reminder, and two, the damn thing scares me on the down hills-having broken my back I tend to be pretty careful now, however this bike makes it feel like you are going slowly even when you are blowing past all your ridding buds on every descent!A great bike!!!
e-mail jkellogg@bcn.net if interested

Bob S.   cross-country rider [Nov 28, 1998]

I just finished building a Marble Peak. I got it on a deal, but it's a 20 and I'm sure an 18 would fit better. So no crotch room - but does it ride nice! Yes. I am very pleased. Downhills way better than my old Manitou FS. Climbing is very similar with slight rear movement and a plush feel. Cornering is excellent. Way better than the Manitou. I didn't realize the difference in newer suspension technology. Probably shocks and dampening are the most important. I put good stuff on:
White Bros 70 UL fork
Race Face Crank
XTR derailers
Bontrager Mustang rims, Chris King Hubs
Total weight 24.25Wasn't cheap. Would I do it again? Yep.
I like it alot. I might trade someone for a shorter frame size.
I give it a five.