Trek 8900 SL Frameset

muzikzohmbie   All Mountain Rider [Mar 20, 2012]
Strength:

very light,U.S.A.-made frame,Trek Alpha Red SL tubing,stiffness,durability,backed by Trek's great customer service and I am lucky enough to have a fantastic local bike shop(The Broken Spoke)to boot !

proprietary rear Hayes disc-brake set-up,but I have the adapter to upgrade to standard disc for future and run my XTR rim brakes anyways.

Great American-made frame with great "out-of-the-box" performance when it was in stock trim and even better when you add your own spec stuff.Solid XC hardtail with solid build quality !
I have ridden this on downhill,xc,cross-country,road bike courses and your standard urban routes on sunny,rainy and muddy days in the Pacific Northwest...and it takes them all in stride.I am 208 pounds and ride hard sometimes,but am a stickler for maintenance(checked before every ride).
I would recommend this for beginners to novice and even pros looking for an excellent XC bike capable of much more.
PROS=everything.
CONS=no complaints here :)

Similar Products Used: K2,Cannondale,Kona,Research Dynamics Coyote AF six.
ecubyrd   Cross Country Rider [Sep 19, 2009]
Strength:

light and stiff

none so far

I bought this to compliment my fs Jamis. It is mainly used as an urban commuter, as my Jamis is my trail bike. It is a joy to ride, even if I'm not using it on the trail. I've always been pretty partial to hardtails, and this one does not disappoint whatsoever. It was a great purchase. The value rating reflects what I paid for it used. It is in great condition and the previous owner added some nice upgrades (I added the Thomson stuff and it is still a good deal).

Similar Products Used: I've had an HT from too many manufacturers to remember.
Karl   [May 18, 2007]
Strength:

Light weight, stiffness

Bottom bracket spindle squeaks and moans...

I have really enjoyed this XC aluminum hardtail for around six years now. I use it mostly for commuting to work and school, so it lives an easy life (compared to what it was designed to withstand). The bottom bracket has always squeaked since it was new. Others have complained of the seat tube squeaking, but that has never been a problem for me. Unfortunately, I think my Trek 8900 may have rolled its last mile today. I noticed a small crack in the weld at the bottom of the left seat stay. I'm quite surprised to see this, since I am so gentle to the bike during my commute and only weigh 147lbs. If it weren't for this fatal flaw, I would rate the bike at either a 4 or 5 (out of 5), but a cracked weld is simply unacceptable. Don't get me wrong, this is an extremely fast and capable bike, so long as it remains in one piece.

Peter Nelson   Weekend Warrior [Nov 05, 2001]
Strength:

I got it as a replace from trek under warranty when I snapped my Trek 7000 Frame :). Since i have it i've never looked back stiff and strong and very light and brilliant frame design, super fast on everything.

No rear disc mount so having to use an adatper.

Even with all that heavier kit on it still seem light to ride. You just don't feel like your having to put effort into ride so you can just sit back and enjoy knowing that the bike will get you down anything in one piece whatever the speed. This frame ROCKS :)

Similar Products Used: Trek 7000 Orange 02 Scott and Marin Indian Fire Trail
Tom Tubular   Downhiller [Nov 18, 2001]
Strength:

Outlasted my expectations

First off, I didn't use this frame for its intended uses. Instead of pushing it up hills, I was pounding it down Bromuont (mountain bike/ski resort in Quebec, Canada). Therefore I am only rateing it on its durability. Last year, befor I got a real DH bike, this was my only ride. I rode it hard, very hard. Each time I went to Bromount people peerdicted that that would be the last day for the frame given it abused history. Well, the frame still works without any cracks or warps. I'm very impressed. The perfict score below is based on durability, I wont pretend to know it's XC charactoristics enough to write about them (though I heard its good for that to!).

Chris U.   Cross Country Rider [Jun 30, 2000]
Strength:

This frame is very light and very strong

I don't think it has any

this frame is the bomb the bottom line is that it is very light very stroung and is perfect for the hardcore cross-coutry rider------and also don't buy cannandales my friend SAM broke his frame

peter   Racer [Apr 11, 2000]
Strength:

Very Fast!! Great Components, Perfect set up for cross country Racing.

Disc Brakes are Heavy!!

Sweet Bike!!! You just got to ride one to understand!!

Similar Products Used: Cannondale Cad4
Kuhl   Racer [Mar 19, 2000]
Strength:

super stiff, fairly light

After two great years of use it snapped right at the chainstay. I only weigh 146 to and i didnt go off a drop or anything.

this wasnt isnt my race ride its just a weekend bike for fun but it gave out on my while riding so im no to happy with it.

Similar Products Used: trek 9.9
Çaðrý Eröge   Cross Country Rider [Feb 06, 2000]
Strength:

Light,looks great,Awesome!!!!!!!!

Well this is one of the best cross-country frame for HARDCORE CROSS-COUNTRY RACERS!!!!

Similar Products Used: Giant AXT 875,TREK 8000;Scott Team Racing'00,Cannondale Killer V800'98
Brian Buell   cross-country rider [Oct 05, 1998]

Oh man!!!! this is a beauty! I ahd a '96 Trek 850 frame for about over a year, put almost 3000 miles on it until *CRACK*!!! it broke on me!, then I got this one for about 50 bucks off the 400 dollar pricetag (WORTH THE PRICE!!) and when i first got all my stuff on it, Oh baby, I'm only 16 and I still love to ride I'm startin' to race soon, and this is the bike to do it on the colors I got on it match perfectly, got a '97 manitou SXTi fork, Shimano alivio shifters (upgrading) Alivio brakes(upgrading) Continental Traction Pro Dual (the Yellow one's) and I got red grips, blue bar ends, and with the Yellow and blue frame it matches PERFECTLY!!! (if you want to see it go to HTTP://www.angela.net/gizkid if you go too soon it might noe be on just yet) but this bike outcorners, out climbs, DEFINATLY lighter dropped about 2 pounds from my 850 to this one!! and MAN i can jump on this frame now, I suggest this to anyone who wants to have a Top-O-The Line frame. not only does it look good, it's got some good size tubing, very light weight 6013 Alpha Aluminum, and it climbs, corners, accelerates, and has literally almost no flex if ANY at all!!
THEREFORE it diserves 5 flamin' hot chili's