Tomac 78 Special Frameset

Tomac 78 Special Frameset

Tomac 78 Special

[Jul 05, 2002]
Chris

Strength:

Quality, construction, stiff, no pogo, looks, JT & Doug!

Lack of replaceable Rear D Hanger - haven't needed it yet but makes me nervous. Other than that - NONE.

I too ws a hard tail hold out but when CC had these on sale I had to do it. I have never looked back. I thought I would miss the super light and stiff Zaskar on the climbs but not so. This bike RULES! It climbs like a dream. Once I got the shocks all dialed in for my weight I was set. Getting rid of whatever my last tires were and going with the Pythons helped glue it to the ground in the corners - I thought it was the suspension washing out in the rear but the tire change fixed it. Of course I am a fashion statement with the yellow Pythons and the red Tomac but who cares?

I've probably got over 2000 miles on this bike and would buy it again in a heartbeat. And those are almost all single track miles.

Zaskar for 5 years. Before that Scott. Rode various Trek's and a borrowed Sugar. Tried Yeti and Titus.

[Jul 31, 2001]
Seymore

Strength:

bullet-proof build quality, plush (without the pogo), excellent handling, climbs like a hardtail, looks that kill, Vanilla RC

This is a great, great bike. Climbing ability is not dissimilar to my Zaskar; it has very little bob, and does not pogo like some other frames. It's super-smooth and fast on the descents, and easily the best handling bike I've ever ridden. I don't notice any weight difference. The bike does generate a lot of head turning, even from the SC Superlight riders. The linkage design is ultra-clean, and the paint job is beautiful. And it is a TOMAC. I know there are better downhill bikes, and a titanium frame is a little easier to climb with, but this thing does it all. A first rate cross-country bike. Hats off to Tomac and Bradbury.

Zaskar, demo'd Sugar, various GTs. Considered purchasing the SC Superlight

[Sep 18, 2000]
Fred

Strength:

Very efficient design, suspension works only when you need it. The frame is very beefy, so you can jump and go fast downhill and feel relax at the same time

Well to be honest, i was expecting that my bike would be lighter, but nothing dramatic (27 pds). The bottom bracket seems a litte bit too low.

This bike is really great. With the fox RC shock, it is really a pleasure to ride. It is way more efficient during uphill than my old LTS. On very steep section, i have no problem to handle the beast. I did some serious drops (4-5 ft) and the bike felt really secure. When you look at the details, the frame is close to perfection, the welding job is excellent, the paint job is brillant (i also like the deco), the geometry is very functional, what else do you want? The only thing I would maybe suggest is to elevate the bottom bracket psoition, cause there is now rocks that i hit, that i did not hit before. The bottom line is this bike is a rocket, a strong rocket, are you ready for it?
If you want one, try Bill Bowers bike shop (PA), I got mine for 1250$, in addtion this guy is really nice.

GT LTS1, Scott G-Zero, Litespeed Toccoa.

[May 27, 2001]
jason williams

Strength:

excelent craftsmanship,plush travel,you don't see one that often.

none as of yet,although I have had to take the frame apart to find a creek noise,it turned out that the main support bearing shaft just needed a little lube.

this bike is the best bike I have ever ridden.I've never owned a dullie but have test ridden a lot of them,and until this one they all felt "off" a looked dam funny.Once I saw this bike I fell in love with it,rode and was amazed.I never though I would "sell out" and leave the steel hardtail clan,but this thing decends,well FAST,and I can out climb just about any one on this thing I even use it to commute 23 miles each way to work once or twice a week.All said anyone kind of on the edge of buying a dullie or converting from the hard tail crowd should try this bike.It does'nt hurt to be endorsed by one of THE bike legends either.

davidson hardtail

[Mar 30, 2001]
George

Strength:

Cross country

I live in an area that is laced with hundreds of miles of single track. I ride Five days a week and average fifeteen to twenty miles a day with four or five thirty plus mile epics a month. The riding is a mix of smooth single track to technical knarly uphill and downhill.I've test rode a few full suspension bikes in all conditions and have felt that the handeling in tight situations and loss of power on the uphill was not a fair trade off for some extra speed on the downhill,untill I rode a Tomac 78 Special. This bike climbs like a hardtail especially when out of the saddle and decents are as smooth as you would expect from a FS MTB. The construction of the frame screams durability from the sealed cartrige bearings to the multi coats of paint and clearcoat. I've managed to keep the weight down below 26 lbs and with a few more weight saving upgrades I can easily see a sub 25lb bike. If you are a hardtail hold out like I was,I suggest you give one of these bikes a try.

Intense Tracer,Pro Flex,Turner,Santa Cruz

[Nov 20, 2000]
James

Strength:

Love the Fox lockout for climbing and commuter trails. Climbs great, descends smoothly.

Getting a viable seatpost quick release. Use the Tomac collar with the QR/skewer from a Salsa combo.

So far I love the versatility of the bike. Feels great on railroad beds or steep single-track. The machine work is a piece of art and the finish seems very durable.

Specialized FSR

[Oct 31, 2000]
fred

This is an update on my 78 special after 6 months of riding.
The frame has been proved very versatile. I did recently a local competition of XC, DH, DS. I did all 3 with my 78 special, and it worked rather well: I finished 5th in XC, and 4th in DH. This bike is a wonderfull toy, you can almost ride anything you want with it. This frame do not show any sign of weakness, the suspension is still very plush and adjustable (fox rc). No doubt i really love this frame.

[Mar 25, 2003]
Alastair

Strength:

Solid Build, stiff rear end, good all round ability both in climbing and descending

Requires a lot of fine tuning to get suspension right

A great all round XC frame and I love riding it on twisting single track. Climbing is excellent in the saddle - descending is definitely faster than my old hard tail. Durability is top notch - no problems of any kind and I have put 10,000 miles on it, all off road.
I've used it in 24 hour events and while it isn't a racing frame, the rear suspension cuts down rider fatigue a lot. This is a frame that you need to spend time on setting up the rear suspension. For my weight (158lb) I have it set up with 120psi in the shock, rebound damping on maximum and compression damping halfway. These settings set the rear suspension fairly firm with only a little sag. The suspension design has a low amount of leverage on the rear shock, so the shock needs much lower pressures than in the AD10 user guide. The Cane Creek shock also benefits from moving the volume adjuster plate to the highest volume setting, which gives the most linear shock progression. All instructions to doing this are on Cane Creeks's internet site, but BEWARE you must have the patience of a saint to do it. Also order the replacement seal kit before you start and replace the seals while you have the shock apart.

[Oct 01, 2000]
Jason Urlich

A follow up from my previous rant. Well after 6 months I am in love with my Tomac even more. Have done few races on it and it performed faultlessly. Everyone comments on it. Everyone likes it. Some @#$%head liked it so much that they stole it from out of my garage last night. So now I have to get a replacement. Guess what! It's gonna be a Tomac! No doubt about it.

[Jul 19, 2000]
Rick

Strength:

Tomac/Bradbury design
Nimble and comfortable

Just a quick follow-up on my previous review: All of my initial comments still hold true. It's quick, stable, climbs well (w/ or w/o using the lockout on the Fox shock)and descends like a banshee. And after almost 8 months it is very durable and remains maintenance free.

I take care of my bikes but the average owner could expect this to be the last bike you'll ever need to buy !!!

Not to mention that it is a very distinctive bike and looks great to boot !!!

Litespeed Tsali