Ted Wojick Frame Frameset

Ted Wojick Soft-trac DS Frame

Philip Keyes, Dirt Rag   cross-country rider [Jan 29, 1997]

This is a high performance cross-country bike suitable to both racing and backwoods exploring. It is not the plushest of the dualies out there, but it is stiff and responsive, like a good mountain bike should be.
The Fox Alps 4 shock is the only weak link in an otherwise perfect bike, and I gather this is going to change for '97.

Steve   cross-country rider [Jan 13, 1997]

The Best! I’ve been riding the trails of New England since the middle 1980’s on several different frames. The Wojick is the best I have ridden.
The geometry, high bottom bracket and quick handling, is just what our root and rock infested trails need. My bike built up at 24 pounds, with no exotic parts, just good old XT and Manitou forks. The welds, paint and finish are perfect - bike art!
After riding generic frames made to handle all things acceptably and nothing outstandingly, riding the Wojick on the singletrack of New England is finding the right tool for the job.
If your riding is like what we have here you cannot do better. There really is a difference.

Ryan Parlin   Cross Country Rider [Apr 25, 2001]
Strength:

Good quality suspension
Awesome welds - how does he do that!?
Has great traction when climbing

My Risse Genesis didn't work when I got the bike, can't really complain, though, as it was used, although it does raise some questions about durability.
Handles a bit sluggish with a four-inch fork up front.
A bit overweight, but not bad for a fs bike.

This is a great bike! I may go back to hardtails because I'm thinking of getting into racing a bit more... Not sure, though, as this one has been great. It is a bit heavy compared to a Turner Stinger or a fs race bike like a sugar, but hey, that's not what this was designed for.

As for the craftsmanship, I couldn't ask for anything more. The welds are the best I've seen anywhere! As far as steel bikes go, there's just no comparison. Durability seems good, mine's a 97 and it's still going strong (though I'm not the first owner).

One more good reason you should get this bike if you have a chance: Ted Wojcik is ALWAYS willing to answer your questions. I've sent a few emails and he always gets back to you overnight. That's not something that can be said of everyone!

If you're a racer, you may want to look elsewhere, but if you are just looking for a great all-around bike that won't sap you on the climbs, this is it.

Similar Products Used: The only other bikes I've owned are hardtails.
T.K. Malone   Cross-Country Rider [Apr 01, 1999]
Strength:

Otherworldly welding work. Person whose name is on it actually built it. Ted is always willing to listen to your input. Proven longevity. Beautiful paint.

The virtues of craftmanship, personality and steel frames are severely undervalued. Not enough people know about Ted, much less own one of his bikes.

You know the cliche - if you can only own one bike, make it a Ted Wojcik. If you can own more than one of these gems, you are lucky, indeed. My unconditional and highest recommendation.

Similar Products Used: Owned and sold over ten other bikes since 1992. Guess which one is still in the garage?
Vlad   weekend warrior [Mar 08, 1999]

I had DS frame for a couple of years now and every year the bike seems better and better. Workmanship is superb. The bike is a pleasure to ride. I am at a loss to explain Cliff's experience (or the lack of there of :-) If you can afford the Ted, go get it!

Hunter   weekend warrior [Jun 28, 1998]

WOW, this bike got some good reviews. I am looking forward to getting mine tomorrow, shipped to my home. I traded my Litespeed Ocoee for a DS with Risse Terminator air/oil shock. Hope it's worth it. Ok, i'll be back when I get the frame and build it up. Five stars for the excitement.

Victor Wieburg   weekend warrior [Jun 17, 1998]

I have never seen a more perfectly constructed frame. The Tig welding is perfect, the paint is perfect. My frame with a Risse rear shock weights about 5.3 lbs. The rear suspension has remained tight and slop free for the last two years that I have owned this bike. I would highly reccomend this frame.

Eric Adams   cross-country rider [May 06, 1998]

Craftsmanship is outstanding on this work of art. If you have never seen a TED
you would be amazed by the fact that you would not see a weld. The painting
process he uses is also amazing. You can have any color you want. As far as the
performance of the frame you would be hard pressed to find a better cross-country frame. This a cross-country frame and people need to keep this in
mind. My TED is XT equiped and weighs in at 25lbs. Not bad for a full suspension work of art. Do yourself a favor and buy a TED. Highest possible
rating. Love it!!!!

Murph   cross-country rider [Jul 08, 1997]

Swwweeeeetttt Rig!! Replaced a C-dale F700 with a hardtail Ted. This bike is configence inspiring on any downhill or flat, winding single-track. Very nice when teamed with Bomber Z-2. I don't like it climbing quite as well as my C-dale, but the overall gain in performance far outweighs this minor fault. The quality of contruction is unmatched (welds, what welds?). And, Ted has two different colored eyes...how can you argue with that?

cliff   racer [Jun 10, 1997]

I bought mine a couple of years ago with an AMP rear triangle and Mag 21 forks, 14.5 frame. I'm 130 lbs and pretty aggressive. The rear end flexes a little too much for my taste when I'm bombing downhill, but feels pretty good for XC riding with its geometry and steel frame. The frame quality is top notch. Although, it's not the bike I would buy now if I were shopping around for a new ride, but I needed a custom size a couple of years ago.