Sycip Production Hardtail Frameset

Production Hardtail

Production Hardtail

Frank   [Apr 15, 2012]
Strength:

Reviewed 11 years ago. Still going strong!

Only steel will do it for you after you've experienced it. Carbon what?

This has been my only mtn bike for the last decade and it has held up to everything I throw myself into. Granted I don't huck or anything like that but between the parts I chose then (XT/XTR, Race Face. Thomson, Manitou, Time) and Jay and Jeremy's work, the longevity and value for the money is clearly there. The parts may be obsolete or discontinued and steel may have fallen out of fashion in favor of these newfangled 3X10 and composite rides but I see no reason to "upgrade" when my Sycip still gives me the performance and reliability I need.

MikeO   Racer [Jul 13, 2003]
Strength:

Perfect handling, great climber, professional craftmanship.

None.

This review is for the Custom-Steel frame Sycip. The first time I pedaled this bike it felt like I had been riding it for years. It handles better than any other bike I have ridden. It's super comfortable and has a very balanced ride. The steel frame feels "lively" on the trail, it's responsive and stiff enough to hammer yet doesn't chatter your teeth on the rough stuff. If you are thinking of getting a custom steel frame don't hesitate, you will swear by it like I do now. It's the ultimate fantasy - how many bottle-mounts do you want? What color? The Sycip's even made a custom-bend on their "Sycip seat-stay"....plus you get a real head-badge with all of their bikes. A very spicy ride indeed.

Similar Products Used: GT Zazkar LE alum
Mark   Cross Country Rider [Jun 21, 2003]
Strength:

Fast, responsive, beautiful craftmanship, climbs great, carves up downhils, confortable, light.

Zip

Got this thing off the craigslist for dirt cheap and it's the best bike I've ever ridden I'll never suffer with an al frame again.

Similar Products Used: Gary Fisher Mt Tam, old Fisher CR-7, Rochhopper
Burt   Cross Country Rider [Jul 05, 2002]
Strength:

Great balance on the trail. Fit and finish are perfect, too. Damn thing fits like I was born with it attached to my body.

Uh...give me a few years and I'll try to figure one out.

I'm a clydesdale so I was somewhat afraid of buying a steel bike. Shouldn't have been though. The Sycip guys built a bike for me that is compliant, balanced and beautiful. It smooths out the trail but I can still stand on it and hammer without it getting noodly. And it comes in at 26 lb. (a lot for some guys but I weigh 230 so percentage of body weight it's perfect...and quite durable..which is what I wanted...a beefy bike that I could ride for years to come). I didn't go with anything light because I wanted stuff to last. I'm sure I could have trimmed the weight by a bit.

Jeremy spent hours on the phone with me helping out with small details. Even after doing a fit test at my shop, he made a couple of suggestions on changes he thought might really help...and he was right. A real pleasure to deal with and an exceptional craftsman.

On the trail the bike just glides along over tough, technical terrain. In winding, smooth single track it carves corners like it's on rails and climbing is exceptional too. Perfect for XC riders wanting an all day long bike that can whip tail on race day also.

While this bike has already proved to be excellent in every way, perhaps the most fun is hearing people try to pronounce the name.

Get one of these bikes. To heck with the cost. You'll be glad. One problem though: you'll need to find more time in your life because you'll spend many more hours riding.

Similar Products Used: Haven't really done steel since the late 80s. Glad I came back. Used to riding alum. hardtails. No comparison.
jeremy sarrow   Racer [Mar 01, 2002]
Strength:

Smooth ride, very light for a steel hard tail, carves the single track and climbs like a goat.

Wish it was free..!!

Very sweet ride, I race this thing and its vey fast in all conditions, especially the tight stuff. Comes in at 23.5 lbs (21" frame) with no silly light stuff on it. The Sycip Bros are very cool and have great dinning tips on their web site, sycip.com. Cool seat stays.

Similar Products Used: Gary fisher hard tail, giant hard tail, lot's of BMX bike
in the day!
Frankinator   Weekend Warrior [Jun 24, 2001]
Strength:

You gotta try real hard (or live in the Bay Area) to find someone else who has one.

Costs ALOT more than similar 853 frames.

My frame differs a bit from what's pictured on the Sycip website (which could use some updating) image: htpp://www.southbaybikes.com/charlotte.jpg

The pennies are painted over like in some of the frames in their printed catalog, and the 853 decal on the downtube is AWOL.

The workmanship is very nice, the finish is perfection. My rear wheel mounts a tad off center, being closer to the left chainstay. I know this coz I have to put frame saver tape on that side so my 2.1 tires won't rub the finish. I am not sure if the frame is off because the handling isn't odd at all. Could be the wheel. The rest of the components of the build kit dropped right in. The $50 charge for disc brake mounts got me the tabs and braze ons for the hoses along the top tube. They also did away with vee bosses.

Ride: Welp, this is my first steel frame, having been weaned on a Stumpjumper M2 and a Cannondale CAAD4 and I can honestly say that there is a difference. Steel definitely has some lateral flex. It's nothing bad, it's just something that when combined with the rest of the frame's give, adds up to a ride that "rounds off" the bumps and hits. Vertical flex/give/compliance is not as bad as some ppl would have you believe. You can hammer this frame, just don't look for that solid feel of Al. It's cushier. This is a good base for an all day trailbike. Which is what I built it up as.

Handling: I don't think any 2 custom bikes will handle the same. Mine is set up slack, with a 4 inch fork and still agile.

Bottom Line: Sure, you could get a Gunnar or a Salsa or an Ibis Mojo for ALOT less money than Jay and Jeremy's frame, you will also see more of those brands on the trails. Exclusivity has it's price. Besides, Ferraris and Porsches are relatively common. Be an individual and drive a Maserati instead! Get a Sycip!

One chili off the value rating coz of price. 5 hot ones overall! I'll get a Ti frame from these guys when I can afford it.

Similar Products Used: Stumper M2, Dale F2000SX
Yablo   [Sep 07, 2000]
Strength:

Great frame. Quick but all day comfortable.
Meant to be raced.

The only weakness is the rider

This is what Mtn. Biking is all about to me. Used to ride a Yeti ARC until some punk stole it from my garage. Started riding my old steel frame and decided to test ride a Sycip. WOW!! I won't ever go back to aluminum again.
I'm not very good with descriptions of ride quality or anything but this bike is just great. Comfy, fast, whatever you need. Not only is it an incredible ride but it looks great too. The pennies are a great touch.
The guys are great as well. Wandered into the shop one day and they took the time to sell me some shirts and helped a friend with his frame. If you're looking for a great mtn. bike ride one of these.
Now to scrounge pennies for one of their road bikes...

Similar Products Used: Yeti Arc
franklin mattei   Cross Country Rider [Feb 22, 2000]
Strength:

climbing, stiff bb helps power up climbs

nome so far besides they ony make about 30 production mtb frames per year.

This is one sweet ride. i like the fact that if you dont need a custom size the small production runs are made. the sycip brothers are the coolest bay area builders i have evr met.
they will take youon a ride and then make you eat way to much spicy food...
the bike has great detials like the 2 pennies.
go get on

Similar Products Used: fat chance yo eddy.
rose fiorentino   Cross Country Rider [Feb 23, 2000]
Strength:

climbing fool. what goes up must come down and sweet it is

zero

quality workmanship. limited nubers. special colors.
wonderfull service.
I like to support the small guy, they really help you getwhat you want and explian that wants and need are 2 different things in the world of ridding.
got find one pick a color and just go ride, ride ride.............

Similar Products Used: voodoo.
Frankienator   Weekend Warrior [Sep 20, 2002]
Strength:

Exclusive. I have yet to meet a fellow Spicy rider.

Expensive and yet does not perform oral sex.

Image: http://southbaybikes.com/meslickrock.JPG

This is a follow up review for my baby. It's been over a year since I got Charlotte (the Harlot). We have ridden in Brunei, Bali Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, Hongkong and Hawaii! She has proven to be a very comfortable but efficient trailbike for me. She was trouble free throughout our Asian jaunt. All she asked for was a new chain.

Her relatively slack geometry makes her a tad lazy on the climbs but are we really here to enjoy the uphills? When things point down her steel frame, hydro discs and 4" fork keep it all nice and cushy.

Bottom line: This frame (at least mine ) is very good.

4 Chilis for value E-X-P-E-N-S-I-V-E!!!
5 Overall