Steelman Manzanita 853 Frameset

853 Reynolds Steel Tubing (Available in Mtb Frame and Single Speed)

BIKE4PHUN   Weekend Warrior [Jul 31, 2001]
Strength:

Fast, great geometry, beautiful paint, expert fit, steel!

Fat ride, go call Brent and order one!

Similar Products Used: Klein, Bontrager. NOTHING IS SIMILAR TO THIS (except maybe an IF or Cherry, haven't ridden either yet)
Michael Phipps   Cross Country Rider [May 22, 2000]
Strength:

How much time to we have?

Is this a trick question?

Lets make this real easy, Brent Steelman makes the sweetest steel frames around period. I explained to Brent what I was looking for and he delivered the goods. If your looking for the ultimate singletrack machine this is it. The front triangle is stiff just point and shoot, long seatstays smooth things out in the rear. This frame just begs to be ridden faster and faster making me feel younger and alive. I brought the bike to my current LBS(who deals with IF)everyone turned thier heads. Some kept quiet while others admitted is lushness. One truely amazing ride, Brent is very knowledgable will take your weight and riding style into consideration when builing your frame. This frame as to be the best kept secret in MTB. Do your self a favor call Brent he's just a phone call away. Want to know more feel free to email me.

Similar Products Used: Rhygin JukeSS
Litespeed Ocoee
J. Curtis   Cross Country Rider [May 30, 2001]
Strength:

As good as a hardtail mountain bike frame can be. Everything you need, and nothing you don't.

After about 2 months and 400-500 miles of riding, I finally feel like I can write a full review of my Manzanita. Had I written this when I first opened the box and pulled my beautiful persimmon sparkle (read: metallic orange) out it would have been something like: Sweet, Sweet, Sweet. Emotional and glowing, yes. But, somewhat lacking in objectivity. Now, with a few miles and a couple of crashes uner our collective belt, here is my review: Sweet, Sweet, Sweet, Sweet!

I actually like the frame more now, than I did when I first unwrapped it. The Manzanita is the perfect hardtail: light, stiff, comfortable et cetera. And the ride; well, the ride is better than any other frame I've ridden. I have an affinity for steel hardtails, and have owned a few superb examples: Serotta CMS (which, although a very well made and beatiful frame, I never felt 'right' on it), a full custom Rock Lobster (circa 1990, Columbous OR tubing, fillet brazed; awesome bike, it just got old), and a few others. The Manzanita is, in its own subtle way, the best I've ridden. I can't describe the ride, other than to say it's exactly what I wanted it to be. And the craftsmanship is topnotch, as much art as function.

Also, Brent Steelman was a joy to deal with. He promptly responded to every email and phone message. He patiently answered all of my questions and made me realize that he truly wanted me to be 100 per cent satisfied with my frame. He made me feel very comfortable with handing him more than a thousand dollars for a frame, sight unseen. This level of trust is rare, I think.

I could ramble on for hours about why I love my Manzanita. But I won't. Suffice to say that it is exactly what I wanted, and I am confident ... no, convinced ... that my frame is as good as ... and probably better than ... any frame from any builder, made from any material.

Jealous of those riding ti Sevens? Nah. Envious of those on aluminum Ventanas? No way. My Steelman blows those bikes away. It's simply superior. At any price. And the fact that it was an utter bargain at a little over a grand only sweetens my satisfaction.

Steelman has a lifelong customer in this rider from the plains of Kansas. Now I'm scheming how to slip a Eurocross under the wife's nose this fall!

Marshall Howard   Cross Country Rider [Apr 16, 2001]
Strength:

Strong[Does not bend or break like the others], Mobile, Fast[Up and down], Extremely agile, Handcrafted beauty, Perfection everywhere

NONE- This bike kicks a--!!

This is the only bike that has stood up to my abuse. It does everything right and is very predictable. There are no flaws in this bike at all. This is the bike you didn't think existed!! If you want the best, this is it!!

Similar Products Used: There is no similar product. Other bikes tried:
Peugot
Diamond Back
Specialized
Fisher
Victor Fung   Cross Country Rider [Jun 20, 2000]
Strength:

Craftmanship, Simplicity, Aesthetic Beautiful, One of a Kind, and Hand Built by the Man Himself ... Brent Steelman

weakness ?? What is that ?

If you are looking for the perfect custom bike for cross country, the Manzanita is the bike for you. Anyone who has been in Manzanita Trail knows how tight and fast the single tracks can be, thus the name for the bike. The sloping top tube gives plenty of stand over height for those "holy-molly" situation, and the the custom top tube (23" on a 14" frame)provide plenty of comfort for on the saddle climbing without the sensation that your buttocks are behind/over the saddle. Match this frame with a custom stem and there will be no single track you can not conquer or attempt. Aside from the frame, you will not find a finer group of individuals on the shop that will provide excellent customer service and expertise like John and Catherine. They love what they do. If they are not too busy building frames for the world, who knows, they might invite you for a bike ride. They invited me. Now, where else can you find that type of interaction and attention ??

Similar Products Used: Kona Explosif
Kona King-Kahuna
Kona Cinder Cone
Keith Anderson Custom Frame from Moab, UT
Ron Bolds   Cross Country Rider [Jun 08, 2000]
Strength:

Imagine a bike that rides and handles exactly how you want it to. Add to this the ability to have your bike custom made and craftsmanship rarely seen these days, then you will know what its like to have a Steelman.

The only weakness I am aware of is "Rob Schmidlen" can't ride it fast enough.

I'll be short and to the point. Once you go STEELMAN, you'll never go back!

Deserves more then 5 stars if others out there are getting 5.

Similar Products Used: I don't think there is a similar product.
JW BOUCHER   Cross Country Rider [Jun 09, 2000]
Strength:

Ride, custom options (HAYES DISC Mounts, custom top tube, and triple bottle mounts), finish, craftsmanship.

This is the best riding mtb bike I have ridden. It just rides right. Brent built it right for me, exactly the way I wanted it. Weight distribution is perfect. BB height is perfect for the fork I told him I was using. He makes his own disc brake mounts. Each frame size requires a unique mount and it is in perfect position and alignment. Details like this are rare.

Finish is great. Powdercoating has come a long way. Welds are perfect.

Did I say the ride?? Oh yeah, it rides great!

Similar Products Used: owned fat chance wicked and yo, bontrager, IF, & SALSA
Rob Schmidlen   Cross Country Rider [Jun 06, 2000]
Strength:

Workmanship
Craftmanship
Steelmanship

I cant ride fast enough

Get off your Kmart specials and get a Real bike!
Words alone cannot describe the feeling you get when you ride a STEELMAN. It has put the fun factor back in my riding. Descend like an out of control kamakazi pilot, climb like a goat.
If you have to ask you would'nt understand.
It's a STEELMAN thing you would'nt understand.
Yo quierro STEELMAN.
Once you go STEELMAN you'll never go Diamondback.
All B.S. aside They make the best handbuilt bikes you could ask for. Do your self a favor Ride one.
Have STEELMAN go fast. Rob

Similar Products Used: Schwinn
Specialized
Dimondback
Mahnke Tom   Racer [May 08, 2001]
Strength:

This bike rips! It does everything that I ask and more. It makes me feel like I am a better rider than I really am. Great powder coat colors. Make sure you have him make you a stem...a nice touch.

Riding the bike for a year still have found no weakness, except the rider.

This is the finest steel frame available. I have had two of his road bikes and they are also amazing. Brent will talk to you until you are satisfied with what you are getting. It is good to know that there are people out there like Brent that still care what they are selling and take a great deal of pride in their work.

Similar Products Used: Bontrager and specialized.
Eric   Cross Country Rider [Jan 30, 2003]
Strength:

custom size,mix of tubing sizes,geometry, just about anything.

not a single one

NOTHING EVEN COMES CLOSE TO THIS FRAME! Brent built this bike with Dedacciai front triangle and columbus foco rear. The chain stays are as large as a klein and look sweet with the massive taper to the dropouts. Bottom line....Best custom steel frame around. If you are in the market for a steel frame dont waste your time calling anybody eles.

Similar Products Used: voodoo bizango 853, but this was mass produced so its not even close if you think about it.