Spot Brand Steel Frame Frameset

Brand Steel Frame

Spot Brand Steel Frame

Brian   Cross Country Rider [Feb 11, 2002]
Strength:

flat black powdercoat, tubing mix, custom SPOT dropouts, ovalized downtube, customer service.

none yet, doubt there will be any either, what could be weak about a singlespeed except the rider???

I demoed a bike for a few weeks. Then went and bought my very own. I really pimped this thing out, tons of flak from my friends at the trail head. This thing climbs like my Ti frame, maybe even stiffer, dunno how, but sure feels that way. Have it geared at 34/20 for winter, but down to 18 (I hope) this summer. The damn thing is so light in the backend (duh, no dinner plate cassette or derailleur) it skips down the trail. Better keep thinking about momentum on the way up, but out of the saddle gets your friends rattled. I love the idea of beating my bros up climbs on a singlespeed. I've looked at other frames, but I really can't see finding a better deal on a custom, handbuilt frame. The blokes at Spot are killer to work with and all my calls and emails were returned without hassle. They really did go the extra ten miles, or, kilometres. They're Canadian, eh!!! I gotta grab some of the woolies they put out too!!!

I'm really truly giving them five chilis on this. Period.

Similar Products Used: none
Eric   Cross Country Rider [Nov 14, 2001]
Strength:

Stiff BB from the oval downtube yet compliant ride. Low and compact it's a great bike for technical, twisty riding. Nice looking frame my black powdercoat still looks good after two years.

none.

I've been riding this bike for two years and it has evolved to it's present set-up. I really like the bike with a 100mm travel fork as, I prefer slacker angles. The Fox Forx 100 is awesome and really like it with this bike. It also matches the Spot matt black PC almost perfect.

This is a great bike that as built is very light and lively. Pure fun to ride on Midwest singletrack. I have a FS xc and racing hardtail but, I almost always grab the single speed now.

Similar Products Used: none. my first ss.
John Daetwyler   Cross Country Rider [Apr 13, 2004]
Strength:

Handles extremely well. Great blend of rigidity and flex. Soaks up vibration, yet still able to hammer hard with no flex.

I haven't found one yet.

The best steel frame for the $. I doubt I will ever part with this frame, but if I do it is because I bought another SPOT.

Similar Products Used: Kona Unit, Kona Exsplosif, IF Deluxe.
Agam Sharda   Cross Country Rider [Sep 06, 2001]
Strength:

Beautiful frame, very responsive, and great geometry and phenomenal handling.

Spot doesn't offer too many colors. I have a silver frame - very pretty, but something like the IF color palette would be awesome.

I have a full suspension bike too, apart from this one. After riding a single speed, 20 pound bike, the 25 pound FS with all XTR componentry seems so inefficient, I find myself riding it less and less. The Spot frame is the first steel frame that I have ridden - it is fantastic. It is compliant, but without the power sapping full suspension action.

I ride this bike on National Trail in Phoenix. Check it out - it is an extremely technical and butt busting ride. This bike gives me more confidence going down steep stuff than any other bike has. The bike will track true to where you point it and the really light rear end allows to flick it very easily.

Bottom lline - if you are considering going single speed, Spot should be a frame to consider very seriously. As someone else said: you could get a Sycip or an IF for about twice the cost, but why bother? Spot will do every thing and more.

Similar Products Used: Voodoo Nzumbi (single speed)
Steve   Weekend Warrior [Oct 16, 2001]
Strength:

Steel is where it's at. Nimble and fast, the bike loves the attentive rider.

None yet!

The pure freedom of true riding. A little finesse and alot of grunt, I don't think that i could go back to gears.

Similar Products Used: A very old Klien Adroit(great dropouts), full ridgid(and I mean ridgid), custom hubs, Kore, Cook Bros.......
Adam   Cross Country Rider [Sep 02, 2000]
Strength:

Light, strong, simple. Great handling. Great customer service. Black.

No clear coat on stickers so they rubbed off pretty fast. Minor bit of slag left on drop out but nothing to b*tch about.

I've been using my Spot for about two years now and every time I take it out I'm always happy I did. It is one of the best technical trail bikes I've ever ridden (I've owned two Diamond Backs, two Ibis, a Mongoose and I've spent a couple of hours on Whicked Fat and a Yo Eddy). In some ways it reminds me of a cross between a Bontrager and a Bridgestone, it has the same sort of agressive tail manners as a Bontrager, fast and nimble, but the fit of a Bridgestone, low and long.
Let me not forget to say that it climbs very well too, step on the pedals and it seems to leap forward.. and I'm not a stellar climber by any stretch of the imagination.
The best thing about Spot is their customer service! Any time I've had any technical questions (I wanted to find out how they calculated thier head angle so I could have Sicyp make me a rigid fork) or needed a replacement part they have gone out of their way to have been helpful.
I can't say enough good things about my bike or the company.
One F*cking Speed!

Similar Products Used: Bianchi BASS. Sicyp single speed. Voodoo single speed (modified Hoodoo), FAT CITY single speed (modified FAT CHANCE), Specialized single speed (highly modified Rock Hopper).
Nick Wallis   Cross Country Rider [Mar 10, 2000]
Strength:

Strong, stiff and light

Lack of disk brake mount

Light, stiff, strong, lively. Handles the jumps at the BMX track and the trails at the weekend. Direct transmission wastes no power when you're racing.
The lack of gears makes it a perfect all year round bike, and my maintenance schedule is frankly embarrasing, but what is there to go wrong (except those poxy V-brakes)?
Buy one and understand what this one-gear lark is all about. It's not as if it will break the bank.
With rigid forks and shorty stem it requires concentration to ride. Let your mind wander and it will spit you off, but the rewards are direct tracking and when you get one of those days when you're hitting the lines it delights like nothing else I've ridden.
Don't buy it if you've come to off-roading from the plush and mush of full suspension or it will bite. But if you appreciate that sweet steel feeling and rewards to match your effort then you should give it serious consideration.
Visit www.spotbikes.com to see pictures.

Similar Products Used: Dave Yates singlespeed for about 18 months before the Spot
Warwick Gresswell   Please Select [Jan 21, 2000]
Strength:

Unbeatable value for money / great customer service / really light for a steel hardtail / dialed geometry

Gloss stickers on a Matt Black frame....?
Singlespeed only - can't convert to geared - bummer...?

You can't believe the quality of this frame for the price. It's astounding. It's light and the welds are even and also of good quality. The geometry is dialled - nice with a 80-90mm travel fork. A fantastic bike for commuting if you live in a flatish city. I'd give it a full 5 stars for overall except that it's not the ultimate singlespeeder -- but as far as quality for the dollar, it's fantastic. You could spend just under double the ammount for a Sycip or IndyFab, but why bother???

Similar Products Used: n/a
cooldaddy   Cross-Country Rider [Oct 08, 1999]
Strength:

The feel of steel. Very comfortable yet very responsive. Nice welds. Good 'paint' job. Unussual tear-drop down-tube.

None so far.

My first (good) steel frame and I love it. It feels so comfortable compated with my geared frame, an M2, but it doesn't flex. Even if it does, maybe on the uphills when I really have to mash, I don't feel it. It just that special steel feeling that makes this Columbus tubed bike feel so nice. The quality of the welds and the powder-coating is very good. It's worth the $625.
Oh and riding single-speed is an absolute blast. My geared bike is collecting some dust right now...

Similar Products Used: my first single-speed, so none.
Tim Daniels   Cross Country Rider [Jan 30, 2003]
Strength:

A frame that fits. Not all bike manufacturers recognize there are those of us over 6' tall. The compliance of the steel frame is almost like having suspension. Point and shoot tracking accuracy.

None yet but I'm wondering if the frame is TOO compliant. If I look down at the BB while I'm mashing on the gas pedals I can see very noticable flex. If this were an aluminum frame I would be very afraid to see this. Steel is much more forgiving but I'm wondering how much of this it will take before it fails...time will tell.

I had some problems getting it dialed in initially due to the rear axle slipping in the dropouts. If I understand correctly, they are building with eccentric bottom brackets and vertical dropouts so it's no longer an issue. I solved my dilemma with a pair of BMX style chain tensioners/tugs. With that out of the way I finally got to put it through the paces. It performs flawlessly. I get a kick out of flying by riders climbing AND decending. I'm not an exclusive single speeder but more often than not I pull the SS out of the garage to go for a ride.