Spooky Project X Frameset

Project X

Daniel Schurek   Downhiller [Jul 24, 2001]
Strength:

everything ultra strong gussets the machining is sweet can fit good old tractor tires
the frame is the thickest i've ever seen

nothing

sweet
best bike in the world
hopefully cant break it like my other bikes(santa cruz)

Similar Products Used: super 8,vps1,marin dh
Kevin   Downhiller [Jan 15, 2000]
Strength:

Beautiful welds, incredible strength, smoooooth strong bearings/pivot, BMX (yankee) bottom bracket so you can run Profile cranks for strength (if you've snapped BBs, you'll appreciate this one!)

weight? but it's DH, so don't worry!

saw the Project X at Mount Snow, and I've seen them at all the races all around New England. This is the strongest, meanest, fastest bike on the East Coast. The frame is 100% adjustable, and there is tons of innovation built into it. FTW does a great job on these and designed and races one himself. just a sick DH bike that's not gonna blow up on you like bikes have done to me in the middle of races :( If you're looking for strength, craftmanship, innovation and a reliable, functional, bombproof design, save up enough dough for one of these frames because it will be the last frame you buy. The crazy chainguide that is integrated with the frame is the best chainguide design I have ever seen. It protects the sprocket as well as guiding the chain, and the PX has the best chainline too... you can use all your gears!

Similar Products Used: Supergo Max Link fs frame (suck! - I cracked it in one season!)
Kevin   Downhiller [Oct 19, 2000]
Strength:

Bearings, insane head tube, good powdercoat paint job, replaceable drops, 3" stroke shock (fine tunes better), lower standover height, high BB, adjustability, attention to detail, absolutely BEAUTIFUL welds, STRENGTH

the rear has a tight fit with any tire above 2.6 I am running a 2.65 Kujo, and it rubs. So Frank The Welder is going to make me some custom dropouts that will place the wheel where it wont rub on the swingarm. however, this may not be a weakness because HOW MANY COMPANIES WOULD DO THAT?!

This frame is worth every penny I have put into it. I have had some problems with setup, but there is not other frame on the market with the simplicity, strength, and especially customer service. I am only 16 and have been working in a bike shop for 3 years. I make only 7.50 / hour, but saving my money for this long has been more than worth it, and i am feeling really good about next season.... hear that? YOU'RE ALL SCREWED IN 12-18 EXPERT DH in the NORTHEAST!!! just joking, but there is no question that this bike will allow me to ride one step higher than I ever have before. Frank The Welder YOU ARE THE MAN!!!

Similar Products Used: Intense, Kona, older Spooky Project Xs
Kevin   Downhiller [Aug 06, 2000]
Strength:

The company as a whole - especially Frank the Welder.... He is the man behind the X, and a downhiller himself.

I just wanted to say how much people can appreciate Spooky's customer service and the company as a whole. I talk with Frank the Welder regularly, and with how many companies can you actually talk to the person that is going to build your frame? not many... the X that i will have built by the end of the year (it takes a while, working at 7.50 an hour to buy this bike!) will be my fourth Spooky frame, and if these things would break it wouldnt be my last! but with the care that the frames are built, i dont need to worry about any one of them breaking. so THANKS FRANK and everyone at Spooky, and goodluck Adam with your new Schwinn deal...

Similar Products Used: Intense m1, Kona Stab Deelux
Mark Swanson   Downhiller [Feb 10, 2000]
Strength:

BEST DH FRAME THERE IS. Frank the Welder is awesome at what he does, I highly recommend you pick one of these frames up. Anyone who thinks otherwise does not know how to ride DH, this bike handles like no tommorow and is extremely versatile and adjustable.

Get one NOW, if you can find one....

Similar Products Used: Intense, Mt. Cycle, None of them compare
Tim Burton   Downhiller [Feb 07, 2000]
Strength:

This bike is unbreakable and handles perfectly.

None.

Best DH bike there is.

Similar Products Used: Intense Uzzi and Schwinn Staight 6
Tim Buffet   Downhiller [Feb 09, 2000]
Strength:

This frame is the best on the market in my opinion, and I would never get another DH frame. If you have a chance to get one, go for it, Frank the Welder in a pro and his frames kick some serious ass ripping up the downhill trails. Beefy welds and great design make this frame a perfect DH beast.

None.

Best bike out there, get one now!!!!!!!!!!

Similar Products Used: Intense M1, Chumba Zulu, Schwinn straight 6
Kevin   Downhiller [Aug 11, 2002]
Strength:

just an update/word of advice on the Project X. two years later and it is still rockin. after bending an outer leg on my Stratos S8 fork, however, I have switched to a fork I thought would never work well on such a beefy/long travel bike: a Boxxer, and it is perfect. other X owners told me that a Boxxer was a great fork for this bike, but I always saw this beefy frame coupled with a beefy fork, such as a Stratos, Avalanche, Risse... etc. if you are considering this frame, consider the Boxxer to go with it. I have been extremely impressed with how well they match and how the bike rides like a bike, not a chopper.

cant think of one!

the bottom line is this bike rules. the risse jupiter 5 shock with the big shaft is superb, and i am psyched on the boxxer with this frame. you wont be disappointed with FTW's work.

Similar Products Used: stab, gemini, M1, etc.
Booty call   downhiller [Dec 11, 1998]

This thing is the biggest overpriced, under-engineered, sloppy, flexy,piece of shit that you can buy for $2000.00 . I feel sorry for anyone who bought into the hype of this company only to get screwed right back by the fight the power attitude that defines them. This bike couldn't be a more archaic design. I don't care how many gussets you put on this wet noodle, it still is gonna corner like a rhyno. Speaking of rhynos, this thing weighs about 41 pounds, which wouldn't be that bad if it worked, but for that weight it should be a bit more solid than it is.... This is a poor representation of what frank can do. I feel sorry for anyone who trusted the hype.