Spooky Pit Boss Frameset

Spooky Pit Boss

Geoff   Racer [Mar 19, 2007]
Strength:

After 7 years its still a solid and burly frame. FTW would be proud.

They aint made no more. Get your own.

I was an idiot and sold my Pit-Boss sometime back in 2001 or 2002. I thought I would never need a hardtail again. Well, Spooky went out of business and that frame became a lot more valuable to me and I wished I still had it.

Fast forward 4 years, and after thinking I would never find one again, My buddy found a full bike on Ebay for $650. I bought it within 5 minutes of finding it. It came in a sh!tty box with the pedals sticking out and scratched upper tubes on the fork, but what mattered most was that the frame was still tits and it is baby blue, or "Smurf Blue" as Spooky called it. I got a brand new mirrored sticker kit, so at some point I will have the frame repainted and re stickered.

Similar Products Used: Chuck Norris
Rob   [Jan 17, 2001]
Strength:

FAT ASS TUBING, Full suspension tubing on a hardtail. Hand made. USA Baby. Riding it will make you grow more hair on your nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Try calling Spooky and talking to someone, granted they are moving.

Havent rode it along time, but man WHAT FUN! Jump it, Ramp it, Cross it, Downhill it, most of all ride it!!! and by the way my wife hates it. I ride diff from what the locals here ride. I have access to alot of land. It has a lot of steep hills, crazy tech spots that i have made myself, Sky bridges, and good creek beds that have good drops (no water). my buddies ride CC, the nice thing is with this bike i just raise the seat post and bam i got CC action. It climbs like a goat on crack thanks to that good old east coast single track short wheel base. Riding technical is a easier than geting laid with a fist full of $50's. I stepped down a frame size due to the riding i do, if was going to do mainly hard core CC action i would stick to my normal size. The paint is not the best but not that bad(satin black). The stickers suck!! I rode a Metal Head that my LBS owner has it has a euro BB, on the bottom no serial just PROTO (one of the first). The stickers on that were holographic, really neat looking. I like it so far, if your caught between free ride and CC buy it. I bought it from JB Mountain Bikes, Justin was a good guy to talk to and i received it when he said i would. I bought my fork from Kalo and the experience was not as good. Got one story from Fed-Ex and another from Kalo. HMMMMMMM..... Which one shoud i beleive?

Similar Products Used: Spooky Metal Head
SJ   Weekend Warrior [Nov 28, 2000]
Strength:

-The best long-travel hardtail,EVER!!
-Custom craftmanship(gorgeous welds,smooth finish..)
-Super-beefy Easton DH tubing!!
-Light enough for general use--only 4 lbs!
-Same kickass geometry as the Darkside
-Awesome baby-blue paint!!
-MADE WITH SOUL IN UPSTATE NY BY PEOPLE WHO CARE!!

-Costly,but worth it
-Spooky's service isn't great..according to rumors anyway
-RARE,even here!!
-Hayes disk mounts(I prefer the universal standard--I don't like Hayes)
-Some hiccups in finish and production consistency(because Spooky handbuilds its frames rather than using robots like the big corporations)
-Not for posers or the faint of heart..(WAIT A MINUTE--that doesn't count)
-I DON'T HAVE ONE!

Spooky has a winner here!It combines the 2 following elements:

a)Darkside-XC/trail bike;awesome geometry that loves technical riding,but not tough enough to stand up to the rigors of freeriding
b)Metalhead-Trials/DS/freeride bike;beefy,but its geometry is really suited for jumps and DH riding,and really isn't a hot prospect in the East Coast forests(unless you ride at places like Platekill!)

Take the Darkside's bred-for-the-east-woods geometry,add the Metalhead's heft,and....
PRESTO!You get a bad-ass,ride-over-any-damn-thing-I-don't-care,Cannondale-eating BEAST!!This is the baddest hardtail ever made!!!

No,it's not for gram-weenies...
Yes,Spooky is a indie company...
Yes,it's a little pricey...

But if you are a freerider like me and DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' REAR SUPENSION,this will be your cup of tea!!You could throw on flat bars,barends,vee-brakes,clipless pedals,semi-slicks,and a 3-in travel fork...but then wouldn't be the type who would buy this bike,now would you?Be a REAL man!!Slap on that Marzocchi QR-20,slide in the riser bars,chuck the spuds in the trash and throw on platforms,add Gazzoloddi Jr. knobbies,bomber wheels,and the Hayes disk brakes..THEN HIDE THE WOMEN AND CHILDREN!!!

This bike is freeriding perfection!!Forget the corporate knock-offs--the Pitboss is the ONE!!

Similar Products Used: I haven't really seen anything similar...probably the closest thing to the Pitboss in concept is the Cove Stiffy..another one might be the Rocky Mountain Reaper
CyberJay   Cross Country Rider [Dec 01, 2000]
Strength:

Awesome geometry. Really one of the best rides I've ever been on. Absolutely incredible.

The company that made it. heh. I broke the driveside dropout of my Pit Boss about one month ago. Sent it back to Spooky immediately after I broke it. So far I have sent around 12 e-mails and placed 20 or so phone calls(only left 3 or 4 messages). They have actually answered the phone ONCE of the 20 or so times I've called. And the guy that I talked to told me to call back. They have answered ONE of the e-mails I sent and that was just the mailling address for the company(I had asked for the return proceedure). Honestly I can't even begin to comprehend a company treating it's customers like this. I wouldn't go ANYWHERE NEAR Spooky until there is some serious reform in their customer service department.

Other negatives on the frame itself, the stickers and paint suck but that was something I knew before I bought it and I was totally prepared to deal with. Also a metallurgist looked at some extremely high resolution pictures of the break and said it was most likely fatuigue that caused the break. I rode a Giant ATX-890 for three and a half years before it broke. I think I rode the 890 about the same as the Spooky. I really think it should have lasted longer. Spooky should make beefier dropouts for this bike!

Don't buy a Spooky until their customer service improves tremendously.

I am currently preparing to have a custom steel frame made with the same geometery and sizing as my Pit Boss. I like the frame that much.

Spooky has this whole tough guy attitude like they're above everything. Fact of the matter is, they're a company and they must take care of their customers. I don't care if I get my frame back in one week or three months, I just need someone to call me or e-mail me and TELL me what is going on and what to expect. I know of at least two other Spooky frames that broke and recieved horrible customer service. They may be going out of business, another good reason to stay away.

I honestly feel bad slamming them like this. I like the ride of my Spooky better than my Chameleon for most of my riding. I think there is a HUGE openning for a company with terrific customer service to come along and make a knock off of the Pit Boss and take over the market. If you do, e-mail me, I'll buy one of your frames!

Similar Products Used: ATX-890 for three and a half years. Didn't ride as nice but it didn't break either.

Santa Cruz Chameleon, just got it, rides about the same, looks like it has a beefier dropout. I've only had it two weeks though so I can't comment.
narlus   Weekend Warrior [Oct 04, 2000]
Strength:

excellent geometry - head angle is steep enough to take a 5" travel fork and still climbs well. tracking on tech stuff is a breeze.

spooky name - dedication, excellence, perserverance.

light for a frame built to withstand punishment (4 lb)

fairly inexpensive too (not sure where the $1200 MSRP came from, but i got my frame for $750 when myself and 2 friends bought frames direct from spooky).

badass factor. let's face it, would you rather ride a trek, a specialized, a kona, or a spooky? case closed.

truth be told, my bike failed @ the chainstay. broke in front of the disk mounting pad. it is currently being warrantied. hopefully this is not a design flaw but instead an overzealous weld.

other than that, the bike itself really has no flaws. maybe they could have run hydro-specific cable mounts instead of having to ziptie the lines down. also, the non-die cut decals are pretty cheesy. avoid the stickers at all costs if you can.

customer service (post-sale) from spooky was a little weak too. took too long (imo) for the frame to get delivered. does 3 months sound long to you (esp after we were promised 2-3 weeks when we were down @ NY)? in fairness, i brought a fork w/ me to get painted to match the bike, and they contract out the painting, but phone calls and emails were routinely ignored when i wanted an update.

however, spooky has been very good so far in terms of warranting the broken frame.

after i get my warranty frame and put a few months on that, i'll give another update.

this bike is a lot of fun to ride. after getting it, my fullie (ted wojcik) languished in the basement, unused. it's easy to wheelie hop and wheelie drop stuff. my bike as built is no svelte ride, but it's not unbearable to pedal uphill. i do miss the extra climbing help that a fully offers, and your margin of error for drops is less when you're on a hardtail, but there is no maintenance for springs, shocks or pivots either.

if you are looking for a beefy hardtail, and something a little different, i'd recommend looking @ spooky.

Similar Products Used: kona hot, cannondale M800
Marshall Hance   Cross Country Rider [Feb 29, 2000]
Strength:

Sooo stiff: Tracks like a champ, no stay sway when stomping
Divine Geometry: Experiance the east coast ledgend, SPookY!
Impectable Craftsmanship: All the love that went into this frame shows through on every ride

When used as an indestructable east coast trails bike...none

If you ride hard, get a serious kick out of tech trails and huge doubles, and you don't mind eating spam and beans for the next six months as you pay it off: Buy this frame!

Similar Products Used: No mountain bikes, closest thing is my S&M bmx bike
Don   Cross Country Rider [Feb 06, 2000]
Strength:

Most comfortable hardtail I've ever ridden. Last 2 bikes have been dual suspension bikes. This bike can handle any thing you throw at it, from downhill-hardcore city fun-dirt jumping. Second Spooky I've owned and hopefully not my last, but as strong as this frame is I might never need another. Beautifully handcrafted frame. Not the lightest hardtail but most definitly one of the strongest and most durable. Not for the weight conscious xc racer. XC racer for those who are hard on equip....

Pricey but but aren't you worth it!!!!
NONE!!!!! Smurf Blue color. Custom paint job coming soon.

Nothing Comes Close To This Great Hardtail. It's As Much Fun As My Kona Stinky DLX. Love this frame. Love this frame. Love this frame.

Similar Products Used: Haro A-1, Jamis Dakota AL, GT Xiang
Marshall Hance   [Oct 06, 2002]
Strength:

Nice Geometry
Good Lookin

Down tube.
It cracked after three years of hard riding.
Just in time for my EndlessBikeCo. frame to come it.

Nice bike.
Aluminum is gunna break, so I wasn't surprised.
I guess theres no more SPooky, though.

Similar Products Used: Quite a few
Greg Van Rixel   Weekend Warrior [Aug 13, 2002]
Strength:

Strong as F$@k! It has handled 15 stairs. I love the geomety, and easton DH tubing. Its a great bike. Its so light too!

The stickers aren't the best but who cares about stikers. Would You rather have a trek with sweet stickers? NO

its the best hard tail you can buy ( If you jump urban ride, or free ride). But I wouldn't pay 700 whatever for it like some people I know. Unless you see it for super cheap, just get a DS1 instead. ( It wont be the same though. )