Spooky Cycles Darkside Frame Frameset

Cycles Darkside Frame

Spooky Cycles Darkside Frame

MIke Clyne   Weekend Warrior [Sep 12, 2001]
Strength:

Out the box it looks amzing. and is as light as a feather.. one of those bikes that you just don't want to buld up due to its beauty... a piece of art. it rides like a dream.. my whole riding style has doubled in skill, aggression and speed. I don't know much technical stuff... but this ride is the best I've had...although I can't hop up to the heights I used to be able to do on my Zaskar LE ..2ft+.OH and I'm not a weekend warrior.. I ride every day.. jump DH,5hr Epics, XC and V.hardcore trails and bit of trials.

ok I'm worried know.. I thought I was getting a bombproof bike..but having read all these other reviews. things look different. I have to agree the durability of the paint job is guff, the decals again just aren't up to standard.
Now the company is defunct, I don't have a leg to stand on if anything goes wrong.... eek!... and I ride very hardcore trails 5ft acid drops and 15 ft sloped drops aren't unheard of... oh and i weigh 85kg ... I think I shall check these welds again

need more time

Similar Products Used: Zaskar LE... V,V,Very tough
Michael Rowell   Cross-Country Rider [Aug 02, 1999]
Strength:

Geometry makes for a very agile technical bike (steep, short and high). Tubeset is superlight.

Poor tubing set for a technical bike (superlight and stiff but can't handle stress), flimsy dropouts.

It doesn't make sense. Awesome for really technical stuff but handle that kind of abuse. Scary if ridden fast as its not really stable. Worst of both worlds? Mine is currently broken and sitting at Spooky where they are trying their best to ignore me in hopes that I will go away. I must admit it was fun to ride if you paid attention. Light and super nimble, but a life of 1.5 yrs for a supposed East Coast woods bike, that I didn't use for that purpose (X-C only, 1000 miles max), just doesn't cut it in my book. I say the only thing Spooky is how fast you and your money will be seperated ;)

Similar Products Used: YETI ARC, Fat Yo Eddy, Serotta T-Max, Cannondale
Matt Gambill   Weekend Warrior [May 31, 2001]
Strength:

Nice Ride / Bad Company

Simply put, Spooky doesn't stand behind their products.

Bottom Line: Spooky points the finger instead of sucking it up and taking care of their customers. They perfected the East Coast geometry, but never learned CS. E-mail me if you'ld like the whole story.

Similar Products Used: Santa Cruz, Brooklyn Machine Works, Kona, Hutch
Richie Rich   Cross Country Rider [May 30, 2001]
Strength:

The geometry is light-years ahead of any bike I have ever ridden.Simply incredible ride,climbed fast,and was at home on technical singletrack.You don't steer the bike--it practically reads your mind.Light as titanium at 3 lbs.I loved the geometry so much I custom-ordered a Seven Sola with the same geometry,drawn in titanium.

Frame cracked at the drive-side dropout.I was surprised to see this.I don't catch much air(if at all)and take good lines.I didn't abuse this bike.Spooky claimed that it had to be done by "a high-speed impact."Not hardly!I was on a fairly smooth trail.
Speaking of Spooky,they refused to refund my frame or even deduct the price of a future frame,claiming that Easton didn't warranty the tubing.Well,it had Spooky's name on it,they should be responsible for defective frames.
Other issues were with the shoddy workmanship:The paint is terrible and is scratched everywhere,the welds are sloppier than expected for a $1500 frame,and the decals are poor quality.For $3300 complete(and hand-made in US),you'd expect much better workmanship.

I was very disappointed when my Darkside broke.I have yet to ride a bike that impressed me as much as this one did(barring the sloppy workmanship).I was willing to overlook the bike's faults because it rode and handled so well,but when the frame suddenly broke,Spooky would not cover their product or their customer.To me,good service is everything(I had messy dealings with AMP's customer service 3 years prior to this),and dealing with Spooky was a nightmare.They did not return my calls or attempt to make any sort of follow-up.When I finally got ahold of them,they refused to warrantee my frame.Spooky won't ever see my business again.A real shame,because the Darkside is a fabulous bike(while it lasts).3 chilies for the bike itself,0 for the company,rounds out to a 2.

Similar Products Used: Seven Sola Ti with identical geometry,'95 Fat Chance Wicked,'98 Klein Adroit Race
Brad T   Cross Country Rider [Mar 31, 2001]
Strength:

Fast. Nimble.

Spooky sux. They have poor customer service. This is my second spooky. I broke the first one like it was a pencil. They blamed it on Easton. They gave me my second frame at cost (I think). They did not even put decals on the second frame Gee, thanx spooky.

STAY AWAY FROM SPOOKY. VERY RINKY DINK COMPANY.

Similar Products Used: You name it
Keith   Cross Country Rider [Feb 20, 2001]
Strength:

Lightweight 3 lb Easton Elite frame; excellent handling and climbing characteristics. High bottom bracket, short chainstay, and long top-tube.

Extremely lightweight (3 lb) and very quick handling bike for tight singletrack. Geometry well suited for climbing due to long top-tube combined with short chainstays. High bottom bracket definitely helps to prevent grinding the chainrings over rocks, logs, etc. Overall, excellent hard-tail frame that definitely gets noticed.

Similar Products Used: M2 Stumpjumper (no comparison) and various other hard-tails
Jim   Cross Country Rider [Aug 25, 2000]
Strength:

I love the way the bike handles in tight singletrack. There is not a better handling bike in the tight woods. The bike is light and people love the bike. The extra bb height.

The frame lasted 1 1/2 seasons before bending. For the amount of money I spent I thought I was getting a special bike. As it turns out I was, for about a year and a half. The trails this bike is designed for are tough, so should the bike. Spooky says I had a high speed impact with something to cause the damage. I hit nothing that my friends don't hit and nothing I have not hit on every bike I have owned. Spooky also told me they could not replace the frame because Easton does not warranty their tubing. I bought a Spooky, it has Spooky's name on it so Spooky should take responsibility and not blame it on Easton's decision not to back their tubing. I don't believe that Spooky is the company that it makes itself out to be. If I was you I would steer clear of this company. Oh yeah they did offer me reduced price on the two lower models if I was willing to wait 2 months. Thanks Spooky.

If a company could use the Darkside Geometry in a strong bike that would last let me know I would stand in line to buy it. The bike is the best woods bike in the world until you use it up.

Similar Products Used: A couple GT's, and a specialized m2 s-works,
Jon   Cross Country Rider [Mar 10, 2000]
Strength:

Unbelievable handling manners. Climbs like a champ. Tapered stays take off just enough of the edge. Who needs F.S.?

Weaknesses?

Spooky customer service is top notch! Bent the derailler hanger, fixed it while I waited. Committed to making great bikes.

Brent   Racer [Mar 01, 2000]
Strength:

The frame tears up tight single track. I ride eastcoast stuff and when it comes to the typical off camber decent in loss dirt(or mud) going over roots and rocks, nothing does it better...the bike feels like its on rails

Decals are cool, (mine are holographic) but i wish they were clearcoated for durabilities sake.

If you ride east coast, and want a top of the line alu hardtail...very few beat it, if even come close

Similar Products Used: Fisher Big sur
Jerry Taylor   Cross Country Rider [Feb 12, 2000]
Strength:

Exellent geometry, standover height vs. tt length, craftsmanship, paint, decals etc.

For me there are none.

I have owned over 20 different bicycles, and I have never met a quality cycle that I didn't like. I love the Spooky.
It fits like a glove for one, and there are no flaws anywhere that I have found, not even the paint. In fact it has the most durable paint of any bike I have ever seen or owned. The geometry is exellent for all around riding, and the tt length vs. standover height is exellent. If you are average height, but like a long tt with plenty of stand over height this is the bike to purchase. It is by a measurable margin the most agile technical bike I have ridden, and I plan on riding it until they come out with something better. Needless to say that will be a while. Ride the earth!