Santa Cruz Superlight Frameset

Santa Cruz Superlight Frameset

Santa Cruz Superlight

[Apr 26, 2011]
Benedict Nagy

Strength:

Ride, Stiffness, Fairly lightweight, Long top effective top
tube, Stable geometry

Low bottom bracket, Easily marred finish, not THAT light
(plan on dropping some serious dough on upgrades to get an
XL under 27 lbs), ummhhh not much else

I've owned 4 Cannondale aluminum hardtail mountain bikes over
the last 20 years. I had about 5000 miles on my last one
(2004 furio frameset custom built) when I was preparing to
throw a bunch of new parts on it. Wouldn't you know that the
chainstay was cracked! Already had purchased new drivetrain,
etc. Long story short, I decided to throw the new parts on
a dual suspension bike. I was limited to the brands available
at Walt's (since they are the bomb, far and away the best
bike shop on the planet). None of their big brands, like
Trek, Fisher, GT, etc. really sell JUST frames. So, Santa
Cruz or Felt. Though they offered me a great deal on an 07
Felt Virtue, I decided to go with the simpler single pivot
design of the superlight.

Bottom Line, A stable climber, descender, all around great
Cross Country race bike (Oh yeah, just finished 1st in
class at the 2011 Bone Bender 3/6 hour race in Lawrence,
Kansas. My class was Solo Clydesdale 3 hr) That was a very
technical course where I passed dozens of people as they walked up climbs. As long as you mind the low bottom
bracket, this is a great marathon race bike.

Gary Fisher HiFi, Cannondale F1000

[Jul 02, 2002]
Kevin

Strength:

The Superlight simply puts you in the mood to ride. It charges up hills and floats back down. The quick but predictable handling instills confidence. The single pivot design is reliable and maintainance free.

Sometimes instills too much confidence - keep that helmet handy. I suppose it bobs a little but I never notice it unless I actually look at the rear shock. I've heard concerns over the lack of a replaceable rear dropout but I've never heard of anyone breaking one.

An excellent choice for cross country and rough trails and for people who would rather ride their bike than work on it.

demo'd several full suspension - this one rose to the top.

[May 15, 2003]
Michael Warren

Strength:

Light, FAST, Strong, great anodizing, simple maintenance, looks killer, rides even better

none yet and I do NOT expect any...ever

Best bike I have ever been on hands down!! I liked my jekyll (even better than the tsali) but it felt like a sherman tank compared to this svelt machine and I had it down to 25 lbs which is incredible for a jekyll. The Superlight is crazy fast accellerating, yet highly stable on the tightest of turns at speed. So sweet looking it gives me wood. I do have a top of the line component setup, but I can tell its the frame that does the work. Mine is built up at about 23 lbs with pedals and feels even lighter. When climbing I get no pedal feedback (cause I stroke like a steam engine :-)..)and it is scary fast on the descents. I buy and sell bikes like cigarettes on the black market, but I am keeping this one until it disinegrates to dust. $2200 is no chump change but it is not the most I have ever dropped on a bike and the superlight is worth very cent and more. I recommend this bike to anyone who wants to take their riding to the next level and get away from mass produced lines. This bike makes you WANT to ride!... Anyone who complains about this bike simply does not have it set up right, period. Santa Cruz ROCKS!!

gt lts 1, gt I-drive, moots ybb, litespeed tsali, kona stinky deluxe, c'dale f2000, c'dale jekyll,

[Mar 16, 2002]
Jimmy Lee

It's been about a year and a half since my last review and I've abused this product for about two and a half years. The bottom line is, I FALL IN LOVE WITH THIS BIKE OVER AND OVER AGAIN. I am not kidding, man. I'm 5'9" weigh 160lbs. This bike has saved my un-talented little arse so many times. But when I've made mistakes, it's been through a shattered collar bone, strains too numerous to mention, and other crashes. It gets up like a champion dog, ready for more.

I'm partial to the simplicity and durability of the single pivot and this bike will not disappoint.

If you are looking for a do-anything-it-is-asked-of-to-do kind of cross country bicycle, try this one. Do yourself a favor. Try the others first. The Superlight climbs better than my GT Avalanche (hardtail), then descends like a light weight downhill bike.

Mountain biking will grow a hole new dimension. All of the same 'ol trails you've been riding will transcend into a Mother Nature's own amusement park.

You'll notice that I initially gave this bike 4 chili's. But with all these new designs coming up without a single competitor for plushness in a mountain bike, my appreciation has really grown.

[Mar 13, 2002]
FritzMan

Strength:

Looks, weight, strength, low maintenance

Ummmm..... Maybe some chipping, but 1986 Chevy Camero Red touch-up paint perfectly matches my powder coated red frame.

This is a follow-up for my earlier posting (10 months ago). I still get as excited to ride this thing as the first day I got her. I've since added a (flexy) SID 100 which definitely balances out the bike compared to my previous 80mm fork . I run the rear suspension exactly as spec'd by Fox for my weight and use the lockout on out-of saddler efforts, smooth climbs, and flat stuff. Although many don't need the lockout, I setup the bike fairly plush to get a little more comfort during enduros and yet still get the jump when needed. This bike is sensitive to rider weight, so adjust the rear shock if you shed poundage.

I tried to follow SantaCruz's recommendations on stem length, but I find them too long. My setup is (I'm 5'9" and 178 lbs) medium frame, 100mm 15 deg RF stem with 1/8" spacer (rather than the 120mm recommended stem), and offset post. It's a tight cockpit with little wheeling' issues on climbs and rocketship decending abilitites. I've had three of the four water bottle mount rivets fail (spin in the tube), but $40 at the local shop fixed that quick.

This is an awesome dual role trail/race bike, and has given me several great results in enduros.

[Mar 24, 2002]
Martin

Strength:

Simple, great build quality, works amazingly well, very responsive.

None, except perhaps a minor one in that routing disk brake lines is a bit of a pain.

Recommended for anyone looking for an all around XC bike. Build quality on the frame is excellent, great looking welds, quality finish. The single pivot design is deceptively simple but works! These is almost no bob when seated, the suspension soaks up both small and large stuff equally well. Once set up correctly it is a pleasure to ride and is extremely responsive. I differed from Santa Cruz's recommended frame size, I am 5' 7" and rode both a medium and a small frame, preferring the handeling of the small, also ended up using a 120mm stem and straight bars. This combo is a fair bit smaller than they recommend but since I have heard that a few others have found this also wonder if Santa Cruz's recommendations are based on riser bars?

Nuff said, do yourself a favor and try out a superlight!

Giant Yukon

[Nov 28, 2001]
Rick Osbon

Strength:

Light weight, very responsive, the singe pivot design assures minimal bobbing when climbing or sprinting. Tracks great, no problem following your best line descending, I thought I would have to use the lock out on my Fox RC when climbing, but it would have to be one steep hill to require it. Also, this bike is very low maintenance.

Sorry, I know how important this section is when your looking for a new bike, but this bike is just to sweet to find anything wrong with it.

The bottom line is this: High Quality, Great Performance, Better Lines, Quicker Handling, Faster Finishes, all with Low Maintenance. Have you read enough? What are you waiting for? Buy this bike you want regret it!

Tested: Gary Fisher Sugar, Giant NRS-1, Trek Fuel

[Mar 01, 2002]
Vincent Tan

Strength:

Light -Plush -Sweet Ride.

Not yet.

After riding my hardtail- Schwinn Moab 3 for 8 months, I decide to have a 2nd bike based on my riding style & I finally got my first FS bike.

Fully satified with frame & my choiced components.

Thanks for all those contributed your views.

Hard Tails- Schwinn Moab, Cannodale CAAD & Specialize

[Feb 28, 2002]
BOB C

Strength:

VERY SIMPLE DESIGN BUT WORKS EXCELLENT. VERY EASY TO MAINTAIN. AWESOME PERFORMANCE YET SIMPLE DESIGN.

THE LACK OF REPLACABLE DERAILER HANGAR. I BENT MINE OVER 6 WEEKS AFTER I PURCHASED IT. SANTA CRUZ SENT ME A NEW SWING ARM IN LESS THAN 10 DAYS. I THINK IT WAS CRAPPY LUCK.

THE BIKE ROCKS. IT CLIMBS WELL IT DESCENDS WELL. BUT MOST OF ALL IT IS SUPER EASY TO MAINTAIN. I HAVE HAD TO SEND THE REAR SHOCK IN FOR NEW BUSHINGS AND A REBUILD.I DID NOT WANT TO BE WITHOUT THE BIKE SO I LOOKED INTO A NEW SHOCK. I GOT A NEW FOX VANILLA R THROUGH MY LOCAL BIKE SHOP AS A SPARE FOR A GOOD PRICE IN TWO DAYS AND THEY GOT IT FROM SANTA CRUZ. THEY SENT IT WITH THE CORRECT COIL AND SET UP FOR XC RIDING.THAT IS AWESOME CUSTOMER SERVICE. I LOVE THIS BIKE. IT TAKES ABOUT 15 MINUTES TO SWAP THE SHOCK OUT.IT TOOK ALL OF 30 MINUTES TO PUT A NEW SWINGARM ON WHEN I HAD TO REPLACE IT .
THE BIKE ROCKS I LOVE IT. I RIDE ALOT A REAL LOT. I DONT BRAKE PARTS AS MUCH AS WEAR THEM OUT FROM ALOT OF HARD RIDING.I CAN SAY MY SANTA CRUZ IS AWESOME IT TAKES ALL I DISH OUT.
FOR MY SECOND MT BIKE I BOUGHT A SPECIALIZED FSR IT WAS A PIECE OF CRAP. I SOLD IT 6 MONTHS AFTER BUYING AND WENT BACK TO A HARD TAIL. I SWORE NO MORE FULL SUSPENSION BIKES. THEN I SEEN A SANTA CRUZ. WHAT A SIMPLE DESIGN. THEN I RODE ONE AND READ REVIEWS. I BOUGHT ONE. I AM A AIRCRAFT MECHANIC AND I KEEP MY BIKE PERFECT. I AM NOT A FAN OF THE MULTI LINK SUSPENSION (HORST LINK ) FROM A MAINTENANC STAND POINT.IT ( HORST LINK) MAY OUT PERFORM THE MONO SHOCK DESIGN BUT IT WILL NEVER SURPASS THE SIMPLICITY OF THE MONO SHOCK.
THE BIKE FITS ME BETTER THAN ANY I HAVE EVER HAD AND OUT PERFORMS ANYTHING I HAVE EVER HAD. I AM 5 10 AND 19D LBS AND IT JUST FEELS PERFECT CLIMBING AND DESCENDING. IT IS THE PERFECT BALANCE OF PERFORMANCE.IT IS A AWESOME DESIGN AND I DO NOT SEE MUCH OUT THERE THAT COMPETES FOR THE PRICE . IT IS FOR THE SERIOUS TRAIL RIDER. I LOVE EXPLORING NEW TRAILS AND LONG RIDES AND THE BIKE IS PERFECT FOR ME. I WILL BUY ANOTHER SANTA CRUZ WHEN I BUY ANOTHER BIKE.

98 SPECIALIZED FSR

[Feb 21, 2002]
steve Van Landingham

Strength:

Impeccable welds, stout gussets,long top tube (XL), lightweight (hence the name) and Anodized finish to boot !

Derailleur hanger failure could be costly. Cleaning the nooks and crannies on this bad boy is a nightmare. No real weaknesses to speak of. Needs a more powerful motor!!!

This bike weighs the same as my hard tail, and the comfort level is four times greater. Ride ON, RIDE ON!
Gotta go! I'm burning daylight. Got Spider webs to bust.

Big Wheel, pedal car, go kart & Voodoo Bizango.