Santa Cruz Heckler Frame Frameset

Santa Cruz Heckler Frame Frameset

Santa Cruz Heckler

[Jul 14, 2003]
mike willis

Strength:

balanced. stiff. fun.

i didn't buy one earlier.

i had no idea. the last full suspension bike i had was a '92 rob role proflex with a mag 21. i've been hardtailing it ever since. friday night i built her and saturday i took her to foresthill and YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAA! climbing, both in and out of the saddle, was no prob. she just ate it up. things i useta have to pick lines through just disappeared. and going down, oh man. aside from missing the gate and having to climb back up the road to the car with no water and 100 degree heat, it was the funnest ride i've ever had. seriously. it was a God praising kinda day. if you have never ridden suspended, please do.

[Jun 21, 2003]
Scott

Strength:

Damn strong. Big, fat tubes. Nice welds+polished aluminum is an eye catcher. It caught mine!

F*&# OFF!

I received the rear shock w/the frame. If you like to beat the living crap out of your bike, this frame kicks back just as hard. I'm up to a solid 4 foot drop without a problem. The weight is not an issue for me because it is pretty well-balanced. The design is ingeniusly simple. Very comfortable. Imagine what the 03' is like?

[Sep 02, 2003]
Dale Spencer

Strength:

Tough bike. My first full suspension, and it has not let me down. It climbs just as good or better than my old hardtail and is a much more comfortable ride. A joy to ride.

None yet.

A great frame if you are a person that rides both cross country but wants to be able to handle rough sections. A very enjoyable ride.

None.

[Jul 02, 2002]
Dave Glasheen

Strength:

Good looking workhorse

SWINGARM CRACKAGE, TWICE, SAME SPOT-swingarm weld just forward of the right dropout.

I wrote a glowing review in May of '99. I still love the bike but I would be concerned about the swingarm weld cracking incidents. I've broken it for the second time in a year now. I have the polished version of the swingarm and I wonder if the polishing takes too much material away from that weld. I'm contacting Santacruz about the second break today, I hope that one year warranty applies to the replacement swingarm, it's only been on there for about ten months. I will by another santacruz if they stand by their product.

mostly hardtails, Kona Stab

[Aug 09, 2001]
Tom Dibley

Strength:

Smooth, rigid and strong. Relatively light and rides like a dream.

Nothing, except the bridge on the seat stays. Why is there such little mud clearance. I have to get an upgrade to install a 2.25 tire.

This is by far the best bike i've had. My FSR Elite was very good, but does not compare to my Santa Cruz. It's 30.9lbs with a sturdy freeride setup, so it's light, but strong enough to do some dirt jumping. I have the last Heckler I could find in the UK. I didn't want a superlight because i was scared of breakage. It is fully pollished and looks great. A 20inch frame is large enough for me at six foot for XC, but has loads of standover height. It rides uphill as well as it does down. I'm gonna get another bike for jumping so I can buy a Superlight as my next bike. That's if I ever get fed up with my Heckler. I doubt that. It gets a 10 out of 5 in my eyes.
Weekend warriors apply here. Light downhillers apply here as should hardcore trail riders as myself. If you're a wieght freak then go for the superlight (u have to now anyway, 'cos they don't make the heckler anymore). If you have a rep for breaking bikes and enjoy riding more than you do looking at your bike and throwing money at it, get it.

Specialized FSR. Four bar linkage is more active but does not climb nearly as well and is not as stiff.

[Jul 19, 1999]
Barry
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

everything else

cheap decals
paint chips

BEST FRAME PERIOD!!

crack and fail, I mean cannondale Lefty
Jamis Dakar
sh@it, I mean schwin homegrowns...

[Jul 15, 1997]
PC
cross-country rider

One word that best describes this bike is SWEEEEEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I've had my Heckler with Judy SL with White Bros catridge,XT rapidfire, kooka DH cranks and a pair of Crosslands for about 9 months now. Since I
got my RS super deluxe fixed(2 day turnaround) actually they sent me a new one,
I ride twice as much. The heckler just eats up ruts, rocks and just about everything that gets in it's way. If you are trying to decide which bike to buy,
GET THE HECKLER!!! You will be just as stoked as I am..(and no I dont work for Santa Cruz)
one last thing, this bike is SWEEEEEET!!!!!!!

[Jul 19, 1997]
AC
cross-country rider

The Heckler is my first full suspension bike and I am very impress with it so far.
I can't see myself getting back to a hardtail especially as I get older.
The only problem I have so far with the bike is ghost shifting when I am
standing up to hammer up hills. One unexpected attribute of the bike is that
many people (even non-bike people) find it very attractive. I get compliments
all the time and people stop me to ask questions.

[Jan 13, 2000]
Nathan Heronen

Strength:

Very solid design that can tackel it all with ease. Handels well and inspires confidence when it gets nasty. The travel is plush and very progressive. it doesnt linger in one part of its travel, it uses it all all the time. The simple design makes it great when u get way out there. It is mantinance free unless you want to clean the dirt off.
Also the larger frames have the same stand over as the smaller ones due to and angled top tube, this makes it eaiser to finesse for us with long legs.

I have been extremely happy with this bike and have no want for my "next bike"

This bike has held its value for as long as i have been aware of its existance. 950 It's a grat bike for those who want to go all over. You can set it up for cross country, beef it up fot DH or find a happy medium with a fun bike.
I have seen more and more of these on the trails sine i got mine and have never heard a bad oppinion. And Hey its made in the USA!!!

[May 12, 1998]
Jake
cross-country rider

I have ridden a friends Heckler a few times. It is a great ride for the most part. However, we both agree the suspension really firms up during hard braking, a very common occurrence going down very long and steep single track. Its not a real serious deficit, but it does get a little bouncy and skittish in tight situations. My LTS-1 does not have this annoying trait. You can cruise through the same sections with a little more ease, comfort and speed. A plus for the Heckler is less chain-suck when it is wet and muddy. Plus you don't have to lube the pivots all the time. However, if given the opportunity, my friend would swap rides in an instance. No chance. I give the LTS 5 stars and the Heckler 4 - (minus 1 star for the braking issue).