Salsa Cycles Ala Carte Frame Frameset

Salsa Cycles Ala Carte Frame Frameset

Salsa Ala Carte Frame

[Sep 25, 2013]
Herb

Strength:

Incredibly balanced. With my 15.5 axle to crown fork it is a little quick steering - kind of like driving a 911, but it does exactly what you ask, so be careful. Lots of fun every time. Tracks like a freight train if you let it.

Are you kidding me!? The bike was stolen on Christmas eve, and I got it back unchanged 3 years later. I'd give this frame 10 stars if I could.

It is a little sketchy decsendin extremely steep, loose trails - but what isn't.

Single track, predictable and precise steering, great climber, stiff - yet supple. This is a majic bike. I am the original owner from 1994. It was a spur of the moment purchase - 1 of 125 made that year. Made the order to Ross himself - added 3 bottle mounts and rack/fender eylets. White with Jelly Bean of course. Shod with slicks it'll sail past 8 thousand dollar road bikes. Wearing knobbies, it'll pass top dollar dual suspension bikes climbing, descending, or single tracking. They always ask - "what kid of bike is that?"

Ross hit the nail on the head with this one. The Ritchey Road Logic is the only bike I've ridden that I like as much. I'll have it copied if it ever breaks.

Bontrager Race Lite, Rithy Comp, NORCO TNT

[Jun 07, 2013]
chikachik

Strength:

Butted steel frame - piping tuned and fettled by santa cruz royalty Ross Shaffer
Ross knows his market and buyer and this frame and fork combo is a fetlers dream
set it up geared or SS rigid or hard tail the choice is yours
geometry will be familiar to salsa and Bontrager fans
alternator drop outs work a charm
extra long fork lets you run rigid or suss without spoiling the trail and BB height
what's not to like

Steel isn't the lightest but the flex it offers easily makes up for the extra grams
the hideous green paint is growing on me - I think

If you want a bike to ride and thrash then pull to bits and reassemble
slightly differently and then trash again - look no further
lets face it we've all got several bikes now
retro, full suss, SS- add the alacarte and tinker to your hearts content
I built mine up from ebay bits n bobs and its great - hope chris king stans no tubes total £1000.00 or so
I have a 1994 Bontrager race lite - rigid and a 1994 bontrager race - front suss
so am biassed to butted steel frames, always fancied a salsa too.
the alacarte is set up SS. The ride and handling are easily up with the mid 90's bontragers
the extra long rigid fork really makes the package, as this was always a weakness when fitting a suss
fork to a retro frame, cocking up the geometry. Ross S knows what you want - get one

[Dec 19, 2011]
ranier

Strength:

quality steel frame, Alternator drop outs

none, really

The '11 Ala Carte is a hella nice steel frame that can wear different hats. Run it geared, run it SS, 26er or 650b... its pretty versatile. The Alternator drop outs make SS tensioning easy peasy.

Mine is set up 650b single speed with a 100mm WB Loop fork and it rocks. The ability to switch back to 26 wheels and geared make for one helluva bang for the buck on this steel frame.

Salsa no longer lists the Ala Carte in it's 26er line up which is a shame. The Ala Carte has been an icon in the Salsa range of bikes. Get one while they're still available!

Interloc 853 frame, Salsa El Mariachi, Fat Chance Bro Eddy

[Nov 27, 2011]
palerider69

Strength:

Design, geometry, stiffness

None at all.

Awesome frame, period.
No problems at all with the paintjob btw, and I don't even use a framesock. To the ones complaining about the paint when having a chainsuck: show me a paintjob that doesn't get damaged then....and hey, maybe learn how to adjust your front derailleur properly, might help.

[Mar 05, 2002]
tom

Strength:

reputation.....i f you consider this a strength

THE PAINT JOB IS THE WORST.
CHAIN RUBBING ALL THE PAINT OFF ON THE CHAIN STAY. I DISCUSSED THIS WITH "P-MAN" AT SALSA, AND GET THIS, HE SAID THAT HIS FRAME DID THE SAME THING...HE WASN"T SURE WHY?!!!!
I AGREE WITH PREVIOUS REVIEWS... IF YOU LOOK AT THE FRAME WRONG, THE PAINT CHIPS.

IT'S AN OK RIDE...BUT THE PAINT JOB REALLY, REALLY DETRACTS FROM THIS BIKE. ALL THINGS BEING EQUAL...LOOK ELSEWHERE.

[Aug 09, 2002]
Dirk

Strength:

Nimble, responsive, comfortable, clean welds

paint

I was looking for a quality steel hardtail to replace my venerable Teesdale-built Kona Hot, which was built out of no-longer-available Tange Ultimate tubing. The A La Carte wasn't at the top of my list, as it's rather pricey, but I ran across one for $300 new, so I couldn't really say no. The frame was built for a team but never delivered or painted, so I got a frame with no decals and what may or may not be original factory paint, so my paint job may not be representative of most A la Cartes. That said, the paint is not that durable.
The frame is beautiful in a retro way: nice Ritchey dropouts, not much slope to the top tube, Reynolds 853 tubing throughout without any frills. It does have a gusset at the head tube/down tube junction. It is fairly light for steel, right around four pounds.
I wanted a bike that climbed and accelerated well and was responsive without being harsh. Bombing downhill is less of a priority for me than climbing, low speed maneuverability, and comfort on long rides. The A La Carte does everything I want it to in a simple, yet very finely crafted package. If I was paying list for a U.S. built steel frame, I might have stayed closer to home and spent the same kind of money on an I.F. or a Wojick, but for what I paid for it, I am very, very happy with the Salsa. (My value rating reflects the MSRP, not what I paid)

Kona Hot

[Nov 20, 2001]
Mike

Strength:

Great ride quality. Has the comfy steel ride.

The paint job is worthless. It chips if you just look
at it wrong.

A little expensive. Paint job should be better for the
price, but overall it's a fun ride and I'm happy with it.

The steering is scary fast. It took me a while to get used
to it. You have to just have a little faith at
first and then as your confidence with the bike grows
it get's less scary.

specialized, cannondale

[Feb 06, 2003]
Tristan

Strength:

still rides like a dream. clims like a bat outta hell.

none- to all ya'll posers whining about crappy paintjobs, sell your salsa to somebody who really rides. paint rubbing off on the chainstays? that happens on all bikes-it's call "chainsuck"! sheesh.

the bottome line is the salsa ala carte is the real steel deal. can't go wrong with cali chromo! i've fixed my only problem that i had with the bike at first-the low bb height. i was riding rigid for the first 5 months i had it, which was still nice, but i was hitting my pedals on roots and rocks. now that i've got a Z-1 up front, i no longer have that problem.

[Nov 07, 2001]
Phatogy

Strength:

Great ride, cool colors, different, quality of construction, 853

Paint job quality is not that great.
Can't fit a wide tire in rear.
LOW BOTTOM BRACKET

It's great bike, great ride but the low bottom bracket just blows...I hit every rock and root in the trail with my pedals. Of course it wouldn't be that big of a deal if there weren't any of them. I guess I should have bought a "East Coast" frame. I though the East Vs West was B.S.
I knew East coasr bikes had taller BB than normal but I didn't know West coast bikes had lower BB's than normal. It makes the bike stable in descents but...
I can't believe nobody has commented about the BB before.

First steel bike

[Sep 17, 2002]
Tristan Moss

Strength:

rides great, pretty light(4 pounds for a 21') pretty color

low bottom bracket

this frame has made me a better rider. it just rides great. plus its got lots of personality and style too. you don't see too many of these around. i recommend the vino rojo color.

univega alpina506 (kinda)