Outland Sports VPP5 Frameset

Outland Sports VPP5 Frameset

Outland Sports VPP5

[Nov 18, 2010]
johnathon seifert

Strength:

The bike is very well designed, but once Santa Cruz took over the vpp bushings became unavailable. So for the post by the guy looking to redo the bushings I went to a local machinist and he was able to make them and the bike rides fine now.

Not being able to get parts. You really have to shop around and make sure what you are buying actually fits. For example front and rear suspension, but bushings are the hardest part. I was actually thinking of selling it because its a large frame and I need a medium. The bike is loaded with all of the high end parts like XTR, CHRIS KING, HOPE DISC BRAKES, HOPE HUBS ETC. If any one has an idea of a starting price let me know.

Thanks
John

Basically I would like to know more about this bike. I know Santa Cruz bought the vpp but what are they worth if I wanted to sell it?

[Feb 17, 2009]
Rockoteer

Strength:

It is tough. Not too heavy. Smooth on rough downhills. It is a lot of fun to ride and I don't feel like i am out of control.

The bushings of course. Mine is now unrideable. Anyone that could help with new bushings i would be eternally grateful.

I think it was over engineered. It is definately a show stopper in that everyone i ride with is completely blown away by the looks. It is just no longer rideable. I paid way to much for this used. I don't think that i would do it again. Probably go for a nice Cannondale CAAD5.

I have not used any other mountain bike that has both front and rear suspension.

[Sep 21, 1998]
David Brady
downhiller

I have riden an Outland since they first came out. Being a 200 lb d/h racer my parts get rideen hard. My outland has never missed a beat. If you have never riden one, you are missing out!! You can ride over stuff that would normally put you on your head. The susp. works under power and braking, NO POGO!!! I can also climb better with my Outland than most can with a hardtail. Lopes and Donavan rode these frames and won championships for a reason, they rule !

[Mar 25, 1998]
Roß
cross-country rider

The VPP is without a doubt the best full-suspension frame I have ever ridden. Who wouldn't want a bike that has fully active suspension while sitting, standing, braking, etc, but still does not biopace AT ALL, even when pounding in the little ring?The corrosion problem noted below is not really corrosion, it's oxidization. Any untreated aluminum frame or part will oxidize if not cared for properly. I use Mother's Aluminum Polish and coat it with a good car wax when the polishing is done. The bike looks like it's chrome-plated when I'm done.The only problem with using this bike as a cross-country ride is finding an appropriate fork. With 5 of rear travel, the frame overwhelms most forks. I have a Z1 BAM on mine, and the fork bobs too much for serious XC riding. But, you can't blame the frame for that. I give this one 5 flaming dog turds for being the best FS frame out there, bar none. Name one other bike with 5 of rear travel that doesn't bounce when pedaled uphill?

[May 19, 1998]
John Collins
weekend warrior

The best full suspension I've ever ridden, and I managed a shop until last year(which did not sell Outland). It makes a great cross-country or downhill racer because the rear suspension is fully active but it doesn't bob when pedaling. I've met one or two people who had problems with the bushings but, as with many full suspension, bushings do take a little bit of care, but a very minimal amount. All you have to do is tighten them twive a month and spray some tri-flow in and you're fine. GREAT BIKE!!

[Apr 24, 2001]
Jon
Downhiller

Strength:

Incredible suspension feel 0 pedal bob and reletivly light.

What were they thinking with 1/16" titanium bushings if you use this bike for what it was ment for you are looking at a lot of repair.

Here is the kicker I have talked to reps at Santa Cruz Mtb and there is no hope for us. While they did buy the suspension design they did not buy the problems we all have. The new bike looks f*cking sick if you were lucky enough to see it at Sea Otter Classic this year. 9" of VPP travel what else do you need in life. Any ways there is no hope for the pivots and Santa Cruz Can't help. I guess the only option is to save up and buy the Santa Cruz when it comes out in a year. Buy the way if any one finds a pivot kit and wants to get rid of it for a good amount of doe E-mail the adress above.

[Jul 13, 1999]
M.Yoshida
Downhiller

Strength:

unique design

very week

I have been using this bike(vpp5-dual) for alomost 1 year as DH bike. It crimbs very well so I can use it for xc fun-ride, too.
That's why I like it. After about 6 months of riding DH once a week, pibots were worn out. I replaced shafts with ones made of cro-mori and bushes with ones made of somekind of special plastic(I don't know what they called in English.). Now rear suspenshon moves smoother than before and I am quite shure that the shafts will last much more longer than before because they are
stiffer and those bushes are softer than before. Those bushes might be worn out quickly but they are cheep(about 50cent each). But, I fuound THREE cracks on the head tube recently.... I was alomst going to forget about this bike. Luckily, I found a shop which will replace the head tube with quite reasonable expence. Reading this page told me that there are some people who keep on taking care of this bike even the company doesn't help them. It is nice to hear such a things. If you are interested in sruffs I wrote above, please contact me by Email.

[Jul 11, 1999]
Mark Gerrard
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

Awesome efficient design

No source for parts. Until now.

Anyone out there got a great bike, but nowhere to turn for improved spares now the factory is history? Read on.
Outland VP3 & VP5 owners, the recently defunct company has left you out in the cold, for more than one reason.
1. You were sold a wonderful design, however the materials and specifications of some of the components manufactured from those materials was not up to the standards you expected.
2. You are now left with little or no help from the factory with replacement parts to maintain the quality of the machine you expected when this purchase was made.
Do not go to your local blacksmith and have this marvelous piece of machinery butchered, there are bushing kits and shafts available that exceed the
quality of the factory originals. If you want to hear more contact me at mgerrard@erols.com

Ellsworth Truth (own both)

[May 12, 1999]
rusty

Outland Sports is in receivership and going out of business. There is a pereson there now selling bushing kits only, but I don't know for how long. I love my custom '99 DH, and purchased 2 kits. Luckily I have an extra dropout.Good Luck.Rusty

[Mar 21, 1999]
Frank

Strength:

Not there frames

Besides their bike, the company

Warning: If your considering the purchase of an Outland product there are some things you may be interested in knowing. Outland appears to be having some legal problems and are going through the litigation process. They are not returning phone calls made to 1-888-222-8981 or 360-398-2282. I have broken my VPP 5 at the front portion of the virtual pivot points. With the company being in limbo like this indefinitely who knows if my frame or anyone else's will ever be warranted. This also causes major problems in availability of the components that would be required to service the highly specialized rear triangle. Unfortunately for myself and all of the other Outland owner's out there, we may be in serious trouble. I hope that Outland can work out there problems and return back to business very soon. As for myself, I could not wait for this matter to be resolved as the litigation process could take forever. I therefore have ordered a new frame from Turner and hope this never happens again as I did not budget for a new frame so soon.
I was hoping to get at least 3 seasons out of the frame but instead find myself dishing out serious coin to replace it with something comparable. So I hope the readers find this bit of information valuable as it could save you from a major headache not to mention the thousands of dollars you could potentially end up spending.