Mountain Cycle San Andreas Frameset

Mountain Cycle San Andreas

Darren B   Weekend Warrior [Jan 10, 2011]
Strength:

Bought MC SA frame after years of wanting one really bad. Hands down the best bike I have ever had. You can see the quality of the frame build, over engineering and all out coolness in the design. Looks like a steel beam bridge with wheels.

Love this bike. It was one of the last original San Luis Obispo rigs before the company changed hands a million times. Sweet, sweet ride.

Similar Products Used: ProFlex Animal
Worrab   Downhiller [Sep 05, 2003]
Strength:

This frame is strong, I've never had anything go wrong with it. No maintenance required. It is also easy to up-grade or change configurations for X-C or Down hill

Noisy. you hear all the creaks and pops as you ride and the accessibility of the front derailleur is imposable (better with the new frame) Other than that there are no weaknesses.

I've been riding a San Andreas XC for about three years, but when it was stolen I looked around for a replacement bike. It did not take me long to start looking for another San Andreas. They kick ass... I decided to go with the DHS set up this time. It ended up being about 36lbs, but it hauls down hills and takes the drops and jumps like they are not there.

I have ridden a Cannondale Gemini, Jekyil, Norco Drop and some Ellsworth and it rides in the all around arena better than them all.

Matt   Weekend Warrior [Oct 29, 2001]
Strength:

Nice ride, wicked looks, cult following.

As you can see from all these other reviews the San Andreas is a top bike, and it has quite a following, its almost a cult bike...

I love my San Andreas but I have decided to sell it to help decorate my Kitchen. If you would like to buy a Black and Silver San Andreas, with Stratos MX6 forks, XT and Maguras, Adjustable R/C Piggy back shock, etc then contact me Via E mail. Price: £700 ono.

Mark   [Oct 18, 2002]
Strength:

excellent ride

bottome bracket flex, weak swing arm

I was thrilled when I first got this bike it handled and jumped among the best out there I had good faith in the bike, from what the other reviews say it has a strong frame and if it does ever break Mountain Cycle will back you up.

This was good till my swing arm broke, just above the main pivot, on the right side. After removing it and inspecting it I found four cracks on top of the break! 2 where the shock is attached, one huge one going across the weld below that, and another one on the opposite side of the central box. Now maybe the break was just from normal fatigue but the other cracks especially the ones going through the welds shouldn’t be there, something differently went wrong when it was built or designed or whatever. And I am not overweight nor do I go very big maybe 10 ft jumps at most.

So of course after hearing so many stories about their great customer service I am still not sweating it, until I gave them a call and found out “They don’t warranty second hand customers” and a new swing arm is going to be 500 dollars. That pist me off it shouldn’t matter if I bought the bike used or not, they made it, if its **** up they should take responsibility. On top of that there trying to pull in a profit off there weak swing arms considering a new San Andreas frame goes for a little under a $1000 form Cambria bike. Think of this the swing arm probably is the most complex piece to make on the bike but I doubt the cost of metal and labor involved equals as much as the cost of the metal and labor of the sub frame, seat tower, and shock.

So after this I am not happy with the company. A company that cant support second hand customers “people who are still out there riding their bike, showing off their name getting them out there”, That says they don’t have a 100% faith in there product. So my stickers are coming off and if anyone asks it’s a department store bike. It gets 2 chiles for a great ride but a structurally weak a** frame they dare to call a free ride bike.

david knox   Weekend Warrior [Jan 14, 2002]
Strength:

massivly strong fast stable looks the dogs bollox

in two years none

having tried six of the rest........no comparism its the best bike ive owned when it(if it ever)wears out i'll buy another one! if you are serious about freeriding this is one of the most awesome bits of kit you can buy (it even looks totally outrageous as well)

Similar Products Used: 3gts . kona cannondale marin
Lee Combs   Downhiller [Jan 26, 2004]
Strength:

Frame is awsome,piviot bearings are used instead of plastic bushings,makes for a very sturdy frame.adjustable ride highth

Awsome frame,bike looks like its going fast just sitting still,wife is afraid to walk around it,bike climbs very well,rides very plush,take bumps and dips smooth,sets up a lot higher than any other bike ive had.very quick and stable down hills.

Similar Products Used: none of my other bikes even come close to this one.
Steve   Cross Country Rider [Apr 14, 2003]
Strength:

Mountain Cycle San Andreas XC Air 2003
-Good climber, stable at speed, yet turns well. Like the adjustable frame geometry. Very stiff frame, light front end - great for wheelies. Handles great on tight trails and through technical sections. Very race worthy, great acceleration.

Fox RL rear Air shock constantly leaked down (100PSI per week!) until I purged all of the air out of it and bottomed it out (seals were not seated properly from factory) . After doing this, the shock stopped leaking air. I understand that a lot of RL's have the same problem.
Also a bit of funky drivetrain backlash when peddling through rolling whoops (chain will pull back on crank as frame geometry changes through suspension stroke) but nothing major.

I waited 2 months for this frame, but it was worth it. Aside from the rear shock leaking air at first (Yikes!), I haven't had any problems so far. With the rear air shock, there is just enough room to fit a long screwdriver throught the swingarm shock mount to adjust the front derailleur (unlike the DH model). The ride on the XC San Andreas model is like no other supension bike I have ever tried - it is supple without feeling mushy. The lock-out on the RL is also a definite bonus - it makes the bike feel like a hardtail on flat ground and up steep hills. Looks cool, too.

Similar Products Used: '97 Specialized AI Ground control (Rear shock was a nightmare - went trough 3 - finally had to get a machine shop to rebuild with automotive seals and make new brass bushings - still works today! ); '2000 Oryx ATX 250 FS
jeff angell   Weekend Warrior [Apr 18, 2004]
Strength:

I am not a serious rider but I weigh over 200lbs and this bike is very strong and seems to carve well in the single track that I normally ride.There is no creaking from the frame at all and this bike is going on 4 years old!!!

The only weakness I've seen is in other components,Not the frame!(stems,posts)

I'm leaving this review because I think it would be helpful for larger riders to know that there is a strong light weight bike here that is not just for downhill. Most people think of this bike as just a downhiller. It is as light as any I've had and honestly has been a great bike!

Similar Products Used: mountain cycle-shockwave,Amp B5,Trek 9000
Keith Suppe   Racer [Sep 23, 2000]
Strength:

What did they say in the review "...body of a jet fighter, soul of a junkyard dog." Juxtipose; body of a junkyard dog, soul of a jet fighter!!!

None, except you have to constantly grease the pivot.

Nobody has contributed more to the shape of full suspension freeride then Mountain Cycle. Their tried and true designs are as stable now as they were many years ago. They were the first to use aluminum box construction, and were selling freeride frames before people knew what freeriding was. I'll always respect and own a Mountain Cycle. Either a San Andreas DHS or a Shockwave. The San Andreas is absolutely the most durable FS frame on the market, today since it's inception. Thank God for San Luis Obisbo Dormant Domes and Pismo's cliff side. Inspires passion, Ive been.

Similar Products Used: Trek 5900, Cannondale Super V3000, Proflex 956, ScWinn Homegrown Carbon (sweetspot FS), Klein Mantra. Ti & Carbon Hrdtails.
christian   Cross Country Rider [Sep 20, 2000]
Strength:

the bike is rugged and well built, the design is simple but effective, upgradeability is amazing, lighter than it looks, beefy construction and monocoque still distinctive and bad-ass after a decade.

pricey, but worth it. could be lighter, but still not bad. wish the maon pivot had grease ports, but that's nitpicking.

meant to put a review in a long time ago. wanted one since '91 but couldn't afford it. finally bought one in '97. have swapped parts over the years for performance sake, but one thing remains, the frame still performs great. it's surpising just how upgradeable it has been over the years, and how tough it has been. I have crashed hard on it a few times and no problem. the bike is a closet downhill machine. if you set it up right, you can have a blast on the trails, but point it downhill and it rips, very stable and plush. I think it has been an excellent investment. I gotta say I still enjoy riding it after all these years. The design is simple and hasn't changed in ten years, but hey, it works well, and still does.

Similar Products Used: santa cruz tazmon and heckler, canondale super vee and raven.