Mongoose NX Series Frameset

NX Series

BMF   Cross Country Rider [Nov 13, 2001]
Strength:

Monocoque Frame design, large tubing, strength, and stiffness.

BB height is too low. Strength of frame is over kill for XC riding.

This frame was designed very well. It is a bit heavy (weighing just over 4 lbs.), but very strong and stiff. I do wish the BB was an inch higher (I tend to crack my pedals on rocks with 175mm cranks). Over all I have been very pleased. To bad Mongoose sold out.

Darrell   Weekend Warrior [Jul 06, 2001]
Strength:

Incredibly stiff frame, very nice welds, gusset at the headtube

A little heavy, no disc brake bosses, odd size seat post (had to search the internet for an odd size shim)

What a sweet ride! The bike climbs well, decends better and carves turns like a Lotus Esprit Turbo. It holds its line without much effort and is strong on the drop offs. If you want a sweet frame cheap, you cannot beat this bike.

Similar Products Used: Giant Iquana SE-1
cheapass   Weekend Warrior [Dec 22, 2000]
Strength:

nice color schemes, strong as hell, Great clearance on bottom braket shell, great handling.

no disc brake mounts, need a rear brake arch for the aluminum stays. comes with heavy seatpost.

I walked into a shop and they laughed at my frame and asked why I had but those great components on it. I simply said because it was cheap. It is a great frame. it is more than just a recreational rider frame. For amatuer racers it is a great start. I am a lite rider 130lbs. I destroy wheels, frames, and bars. Hence the velocity rims. This frame will still be good when I die.

Jm Jm   Cross Country Rider [Dec 22, 2000]
Strength:

Strong frame
Stiff frame
Nice features like teardrop shaped downtube, octagonal chain and seat stays, gusset at head tube.

No disc mount(but there are holes drilled in the dropouts..for an adaptor?)
Not the lightest alu frame at around 4lbs

A great frame for the price. They guy below has it all right. You can buy a $1500 hardtail at a LBS, but you would not have something that works any better. The guy at his LBS must have just been really sore that he didnt buy it from him. I spent arond 700 total on this bike, and for the price it is sweet. I see similerly equiped bikes in my LBS going for around $1500. The frame isnt the lightest, but it is plenty stiff and transfers power well, so it sort of evens out. With the huge tubes it is probably a bit stronger than those lighter aluminum frames anyway. The parts I used are by no means the lightest or the most expensive, but all are proven and should hold up, I especially like the Z2 and the Avid brakes, even though they are low-end they are top preformers. I like how it rides so far, I am relearning how to ride a hardtail. I usually ride my freerider, but I want to have a bike to race both XC and DH, so this is what I will use and practice on for XC. Buying a complete bike at a LBS fine for less experianced and not-mechanically-inclinded Mountainbiker, but when you have the experiance of putting a bike together and the know-how, you can beat the deals that are out there and you can put together a screamen bike for not as much $$$ as a shop will charge.

Similar Products Used: Specalized Rockhopper, Raleigh hardtail, KHS 4000.
Ryan B.   Downhiller [Nov 26, 2000]
Strength:

Sick Frame, very strong, different than most, light, limited flex, burly dropouts

The rear end, at high speeds, I can really feel the rear flex, it flexs a considerable amount.

Great bike, I built it off the internet and it turned out to be awesome. Rides great, and you can use it for anything..I use it for DH, Salom, trials and XC when time call for it..Light,strong, dependable, Brian Lopes look a like, except for color and some parts...If you can buy the frame, you can use it for anything, and they're cheap...

The bike does trials well, nothing bad there. It climbs well, except for my super-plush fork, it decends great, and jumps even better. Its an all around bike good for anything and anyone.

Similar Products Used: Nothin
Technician   [Nov 18, 2000]
Strength:

Lightweight, Intelligent Monococque Design, Non-Flexy, Beautiful Paint Job

None of Importance

I ride a Mongoose NX 7.3 hardtail frame, and I keep an NX 7.1 frame around for emergencies. For $125, I got a 4.2 lb. monococque hardtail frame that takes more abuse than most downhill bikes I've seen. Even after tons of hard hits, urban assault rides, and trail riding, this frame performs flawlessly. The complete bikes are an excellent investment. Don't let the brand name fool you - the NX hardtails are a worthy investment.

Ronen   Cross Country Rider [Sep 02, 2000]
Strength:

Very Stable Bike (NX 7.3) Looks and feels great. Easy to pop off technical trails and can open up a can of whoop ass on those other bikes (Mainly GT's) Even as stock is competitive. STABLE....VERY STABLE

The front end of the bike tends to dip over drop offs. Easily fixable though with a shorter stem and by popping the seat WAY back.

Sweet bike, good price....Its a pity that the Mongoose Name has been shamed with their cheaper bikes. Either way...better than the other Bikes ive ridden (GT'S) but GT's are ok.....ok

Similar Products Used: GT Zaskar, GT Tequesta.
Jaromir   Racer [Jul 19, 2000]
Strength:

STIFF
LIGHT
good looking
pretty comfortable

can't think of any

oooh man! I bought the NX 7.5 frame a week ago and it really is STIFF! I owned a CrMo IBOC 0G from 1997 and it was a great frame, but this one really rulez. It's light, stiff, nice looking, etc..... It's great for on-road riding, but it's even better off road. I just returned from an all around bike trip (121km long) and I feel great. Before, I had trouble pedaling after 60 km, even though the IBOC was great.