Merlin Fat Ti Frameset

Merlin Fat Ti

Stephen   Cross Country Rider [Sep 07, 2001]
Strength:

I'm not super technical but I can tell you that this is a very nice setup. I have always prefered the handling of the headshock over other shocks. The Fat Ti provides the precision steering of the headsock with a much better, smoother handling frame (titanium vs aluminum). It is also a very quiet bike without noise I've become accustomed on rough stretches. And for those who don't like Cannondale, you don't know what your missing when it comes headshock suspension and true lockout.

Price - Just under $2000 for frame and fork.

If you have the cash...it's worth every cent. I was concerned when Lightspeed took over Merlin that the Fat (Headshock) series would cease to exist. So, I made my purchase sooner than later. However, the bike shop through whom I purchased the frame indicated that the Fat series would remain in production. Either way, I'm very happy with my new ride.

Similar Products Used: Multiple Cannodale MTBs, titanium road frame
Joe Lundberg   Cross-Country Rider [Sep 02, 1999]
Strength:

Headshock-Fatty SL Ultra
Quality of work
Classic Ti feel
No frills looks

Price might be too high for some

Of all the bikes I own, THIS ONE ROCKS!!!!
I find it very hard to get onto any of my other rides, now that i have the Fat Ti. Merlin is known for its quality and workmanship, and one ride on a Merlin, and you will know why!

Similar Products Used: I also have a 96 DEAN Ti Colonel, 98 Santa Cruz Heckler, 97 Bontrager RaceLite, 99 Klein Adroit Pro
Michael   Cross-Country Rider [May 25, 1999]
Strength:

Ti, custom setup, staff, reputation, plush ride

geometry can be deceiving.

Visit the shop meet the guys who build the bike and build the relationship with Merlin. The ride is soft and predicable with the benefits of 21.8 lbs. Keep the colors to black and white and you will have a bicycle that will last forever.

Similar Products Used: came from the world of dual suspensoin
jason   Racer [Jun 09, 1999]
Strength:

Light
Superb Ride
Precise Steering (headshock)

Price

I rode them all...Seven, Moots, Merlin XLM, Ibis...and every frame had a similar ride. Really. No kidding. They are all fantastic. If you ride a Ti bike, you know what I mean. They are all responsive, stable, and really sweet when things get rough. The biggest difference was the handling on downhills that the headshock gave. No more noodle-like front suspension. No more front wheel deflection in technical terrain. I spent three months researching titanium frames, and trying out as many as I could. The Fat Ti was the last frame I rode during my search for the perfect bike, and it was the one I bought. The price sucks, but if you have that kind of cash, I highly recommend trying this frame. I was a headshock non-believer until I did. If you have any questions about the bike, send me an e-mail.

Similar Products Used: Most Ti frames made including Seven, XLM, Ibis etc.