Merida Merida Dakar 670 1999 Cr Mo Frameset

Merida Dakar 670 1999 Cr Mo

Merida Merida Dakar 670, 1999 Cr Mo

Yuriy   Cross Country Rider [Jul 20, 2017]
Strength:

Heavy??!! unblrakeable

Wight

usning that frame already 20 YEARS! There were 3 cases of road transport incidents, only cars and I, on a frame only of scratch suffered. Great frame, even not what cool looks for 2017, but it's steal works.

Sandor Nagy   Cross Country Rider [Jun 06, 2007]
Strength:

cromo frame... unbreakable, strong, flexible, durable, retro style :) durable painting, nice black-orange.

heavy, but this is one of its strength -> massive
doesn't have rear disc brake mounting point. must do it at home.

I like it, and never be for sale :) Try to get one.

Similar Products Used: few noname steel, and cromo frame. 2-3 alu frame too...
Mark   Cross Country Rider [Oct 13, 2000]
Strength:

Unbreakable, flexible, forgiving

possibly a little heavy but what do you expect out of a cro-moly frame. But if you want to flex with the big hits then this is the trade-off you got to make

Bottom Line: "If you want a workhorse and not a showpony, then go the Dakar frame."

Since this review is about the frame, and not the entire Dakar package, I will concentrate on the cro-moly frame (because some of the components on the package need real attention, e.g., forks, brakes, etc.). This frame takes the big hits without the nagging worry that some little fracture have unearthed itself and spreading with each pedal stroke. If you want a frame that will go where you want to go, and your not a feather-light freak, then go the Dakar. Alot of the guys I ride with have alloy frames and, considering the lightness of the alloy frames, I've never found myself puffing at the rear of the pack struggling to haul a weighty frame around; I am up there with them without a hassle.

The virtues of the Dakar shine when any one of us has bitten the earth. Your aluminium framers are fussing over any possible little hairline fractures, while me and my Cro-moly vintage mates are straight back in the saddle pulling the pebbles out from under the skin. I've thrown myself and this frame into some dirty situations and this workhorse comes out without a groan.

I give the frame 4 flamers for both value and overall...don't want manufacturers thinking they have perfected anything because there's always room for improvement.

Show me an aluminium frame that can take it like cro-moly and I'll get on. In the meantime I'm riding my Dakar with confidence. Now shouldn't you get your posterior off that chair and into the saddle....because I'd sure as hell rather be riding.

Similar Products Used: Trek 8000, Giant ATX, Mongoose 6.5,
Igis   Cross-Country Rider [Dec 21, 1999]
Strength:

Hard to break, sporty, flexible, pushing hits

I do not desire to have suspension from the time I have this frame. With 2.1 tires you can do a weaker downhill with this frame.