Mantis Pro-Floater Frameset

Pro-Floater

conrman   Cross Country Rider [Jan 07, 2010]
Strength:

Ahead of its time. lightweight. power to the ground. Great bike in its day.

After 15 years very-flexy rear end. Suspension induced pedal kickback. Traction loss in low gear. Aggressive ergonomics. Critical racing brakes lack power(but are cool looking). Limited travel 2.5"-3" Max.

I learned to ride this bike well everywhere. Owned it for 13 years, without the need for upgrading. It has ridden trails in through out the southwest 3 days per week for that long. replaced main pivot bushings with bearings, upgraded to v-brakes, rebuilt shock. Great bike, which I will replace with a DW flux this year (similar geometry more active suspension design, laterally stiff).
Sold Mantis for $900 to a collector in Ca.
The DW flux maintains all the good qualities of the pro-floater, and addresses all the weaknesses!!!! (increases travel, eliminates chain torque/pedal kickback, active under braking, traction increases on climbing).
5 chilies for the price I paid minus price I recovered from the sale...I used the bike for 13 years (countless miles) and it cost me roughly $300-$400....:)

Similar Products Used: Most full suspension designs on the market.
flyingsuperpetis   Racer [Jun 08, 2003]
Strength:

Design, Engineering, & Fabrication.

Nil.

Wow. Welcome to the dreambike.

Take a look at the finest xc+ softails on the market today, and what do they have in common? When you see them next to the Pro-Floater, it becomes rather obvious where they all came from, making this about the most time-tested and proven design in the dirt.

Clearly, this is where the industry peaked. Think of a company today with the skills to build such a masterpiece taking all the time neccessary to do so. And entirely by hand? Got about 10,000 dollars? Everything everywhere is asymetrical, and precision machined (no cnc's), the weldments are flawless as fishscales, and every surface is faced, reamed to a mirror-like sheen. The legend of "no one's ever broke one" may or may not be true, after all it is aluminum, but it's huge aluminum, not of the large OD, beercan thickness type either. Burly. And such massive gussets! Three benders jumping at once might have trouble bending anything here... Strangely it has all the trick gobbledyguk of a modern day factory downhill rig, but here it's tucked subtly and tastefully into the frames corners. Meaning it doesn't look like a 45 mph slag heap careening down the trail. It looks, if I do say, refined, almost... classy. Hm. Where did this turn into a mercedes ad?

I got this about six months ago and it had never been built. It's the last version of the bike, with the box section aluminum swingarm & machined strut wishbone, 1-1/8th" standard headset, and heightened geometry for a longer travel fork. Now I'm jeopordising the authenticity of it all (yep, sorry) by having a custom disc brake mount made to bolt trough the triangular rear dropout, and probably going to send the swingarm off to the builder below for a bearing pivot. Sure, everyone used bushings then, cause they handle higher loads, but they're harder to seal, and when it comes time to replace it, it's nice to have a standard bearing to pop in & out. Id rather the frame wear around the bearing from day one, if it's going to wind up with a bearing in a couple years anyway.

What a knockout, and in such a red.
Get one if you see one.
Enjoy.

The FlyingSuperPetis.

Similar Products Used: Many. Yeti fro, 2 Trimbles, Mt Goat mudlsinger, Fat Chance yo, McMahon ti, etc...
Josh Tango   [Jun 25, 2006]
Strength:

14 years of super single track the frame is fine and its still a fast, stable and predictable ride

Rear brake was replaced with an Avid V brake is much better

A classic XC.

Peter Vos   Weekend Warrior [Jan 03, 2006]
Strength:

rides like heaven

its 2 old now

It was my first fully, but....hes to old now, not of this hour anymore.

Similar Products Used: Giant, GT, Yeti
Matt Carter   Weekend Warrior [Mar 09, 2001]
Strength:

Awesome frame design. This bike was awesome in '95 when I waited 8 weeks for the frame. Flies on the rolling singletrack trails. Looks better than every other bike since. Updated rear swing arm keeps it tight.

Rear brake was weak from the wacky cable routing --- fixed when v-brakes arrived in '96. Company not around anymore to buy another.

Unlike some other Manits riders I have seen 3 others on the trail. 1 in Reno, 1 in Las Vegas, 1 in Moab in early '90's. These bikes are ideal cruisers. With the Square tubed swing arm mine is prenty stiff for my 240lbs weight. It is faster riding than my Ventana. It is cool to take it to a shop and no one knows what it is (so I go to another shop!) I dreamed about this bike when I first saw it in MBA in '91 or '92 and then when saw it in Moab I new I had to have one. It took me several years to be able to afford it. I still have it and I'll never let it go!!

Buy one if yu find one -- they are true bike art!

Similar Products Used: Diamond Back Apex Le, Ascent Ex, Ventana Marble Peak - owned
Borrowed ATX 890, Gary Fisher Mt Tam, Slinghot, Stumpjumper
Erwin van Geel   Cross Country Rider [Nov 12, 2000]
Strength:

Great great great

none, eccept that the company is out of buisness

I'm afraid that oneday my Mantis will get stuck (but i don't think so)and that I can't get anotherone since they will no longer manufacture them. This was and is the best bike you can get.

So, Richard Cunningham thanks for making this great bike.

Similar Products Used: giant and gt
Clark W Griswald   [Oct 09, 2000]
Strength:

Strengths? It's a hardcore classic, what else do you need? Okay, okay. It's got 16.25" elevated stays and climbs like a chairlift. It's red. It's in my size. It's got a 24.25" top tube - even now some companies can't even get this right.
And the best adavantage? No one else has one :o)

Weaknesses? Heck, its 6 years old! Still, I'd have it over a Santa Cruz Superlight Cookie Cutter anyday. Well, 3" of travel won't amaze most ppl I guess.....it is kinda heavy even with light parts....and it's probably only got another 2 years left in it, although I maybe wrong considering the condition it's in. Oh yeah, I forgot the 1" steerer. That's a pain in the butt.

Remember when bikes were crafted by people? Well, this bike is one of those. Sure, it's old. Sure, it's heavyish, but it's got style, character and that undefinable something. Plus, I went through hell to get this bike back to Australia, so it owes me. Thanks for letting it go Martin.
So if you're on a nostalgia/retro trip like I am, go find a 94 Pro-Floater. It's as good a bike are you are a rider.

Similar Products Used: There ARE no similar products! Hehe.
Mantis Rider   [Jun 29, 2000]
Strength:

Great design, beautiful machine work, relatively light, definitely ahead of it's time

No longer made. Mac struts are maybe not the best for large riders or thrashers

I wish I could buy more of them for backup. A sweet, lightweight ride as nice as anything out there yet the bike is 5 years old!

Similar Products Used: Tons
bub   Downhiller [Apr 05, 2003]
Strength:

Amazing light frame, super fast, quick steering, low top tube for tech stuff,

Originally had a Vector front end, bombproof but weird goemetry for dropoffs and tech stuff. Ovalizing the swingarm pivot, it is only a bushing!?

Great bike, would own another if I found one. I got the smallest frame I could find(I think a 15.5") and it is almost as good as my old WhiskeyTown 16" in the technical bits. In Toronto, there is a guy named Harvey Cameron(on Greenwood I think) who makes handmade custom frames in his basement. He can sell you a similar frame with bearings instead of a bushing at the swingarm or he can modify your frame. But I would get it done if you are a hard rider.