Litespeed Tellico Frameset

Litespeed Tellico Frameset

Litespeed Tellico

[Feb 11, 2002]
Alex Elton

Strength:

So far...... Amazing ride qaulity, Looks... and feeling smug. The weight (just over 3 lb's for the frame)Crafsmanship)

I guess if bought new it would be pretty pricey..... I can't really coment on durability as yet as i have only ridden it a handfull of times.... other than that, None as far as i can tell, other than the deacals (stickers) i fear that their life may not be a happy one, and i don't know how easy it eill be to souce new ones!! and Price! i know i bought it cheap - but i'll bet getting a new drop out welded on won't be if i break the thing!!! (no garantee as second hand)

I was lucky enough to buy this complete bike second hand on Ebay for £1200 (UK) which i was probably the best buy of my life, and worth every penny, the bike had probably less than 50 miles on it (or if it was more it doesn't show) I swapped the SIDs that came with it for the Z2's off my old Marin IFT, and the tires too, so i could notice if there were manym, or any differences... The geometry of the two bikes is very similar, as are the components, so i didn't have great expectations, being a Ti virgin. I was blown away once i got to the first hill, only about 2 Pounds difference in weight but the bike flew up with half the effort, i put this down to a tail wind at the time, when it came to a really fast, rocky fire road the Ti came into its own, on the Marin my eyes were loose by the time i got to the bottom, the ride of the Ti is sooooo different, smooth and controlled, confidence building and fast. After reading various reviews i was sure that all this ride quality stuff was bogus, but no way, it was an eye opener to how frames could be, and should be made....

The workmanship of the frame 'looks' second to none, i haven't noticed any of the flaws stated in other reviews, but this bike has not by any means had a hard life (yet) and i will endevour to provide any further updates as events warrant!!!

I can not stress enough that this is the bike i was born to own, if it were a choice between this bike and the wife, i'd pack her bags for her...

Sell everything you own - Buy one!!!

Marin IFT for 3 1/2 years, Orange, Giant G.T etc...

[Dec 29, 2001]
Mike

Strength:

Excellent power transfer

Cost

I've tried similarly equipped bikes (and I've tried a lot) in the same trail a number of times, in average I can ride the Tellico one speed faster than the others. Compared with the Owl Hollow there is no difference in power transfer that I could feel, you just pay more for a little weight savings and for the proud ownership of a full Ti 6/4 frame. Called customer service a couple of times with general questions, the representatives were very friendly and helpfull. Overall I'm very pleased.

Litespeed Obed, Owl Hollow.

[May 01, 2001]
Jeff

Strength:

I loved the ride and feel of this frame so much that I bought it's sister the "Vortex." Placed in many races on my frame. Light

First of all I bought this frame from the shop owner. He told me he had not sent in the warranty card so if anything happened, there would be "no problem." The first time the frame broke (at the head/downtube weld) the shop sent it off got it back within a month. New stickers, brushed, welds were flawless. I basically had a new bike. Litespeed took care of me. This February 2001 my frame broke again. This time at the head/top/downtube junctions. Sent it back to Litespeed. Colins Bishop the warranty specialist said they would not warranty the frame. Said there was dings on every tube of the bike. Excuse me here, I thought this was a "mountain bike" here. A $2650.00 frame at that. Do you want me to ride around the parking lot at the trailhead so everyone will see the stickers so another person will be let down by your company? I ride and I ride hard. And I only weigh 143lbs. So to sum it up Litespeed is trying to charge me for a repair for one of their top of the line "6/4 titanium, flawless welds" because I didn't baby the thing. I have learned that the company has grown and some of the original founders have left. This company has gone from being my unspoken choice to nothing but scrap metal. You don't let someone down and cop out on the warranty, especially when you state a bunch of propaganda about how your product is superior on your website and when it is time to do some service you turn your head. They told me I should look into another tougher frame, but would not pro-rate my useless frame towards the new one.

Litespeed what happened? A certain someone at Bob's Bikes misrepresented the warranty factors when we made the deal. Why did you not just tell me "no warranty"? And people at the lbs wonder why people turn to mailorder. Why shouldn't you? When your local shop doesn't stand behind the products they sell. And say, "Well it's the second time you've broken it." So. I guess I should have bought a Trek or Specialized for $600-800. They would have sent me a new frame. And not welded up a tweaked frame and sent it back to me. I will not buy another thing w/ their name on it. They have outgrown their once outstanding business. Litespeed why would anybody want to trust your product? Bottom line, if you ride hard don't buy Litespeed.

Vortex

[Mar 09, 2000]
Bill

Strength:

Ti, light

not as light as a merlin, medioccre welds, way overpriced

Stiff yet compliant, climbs well, handles well. Quality not what you would expect.

MERLIN XLM

[Nov 20, 1999]
Mike Edge
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

Beautifully finished
Light, of course
Great ride

I know perfection has a cost...but $2,700...?

The bottom line is that quality ALWAYS costs good money. If you care enough about your biking to spend the big bucks and are fortunate enough to be able to do so, the difference is like night and day. In the end, it is a matter of taste and there are those that think titanium is for girls and steel is for boys...Happy Trails

Litespeed Owl Hollow

[Feb 13, 1999]
Mark
cross-country rider

First of all I would like to thank the thief that lifted my GT Avalanche. This allowed me to buy the best bike I have ever owned. The only way I can really describe this frame is WOW!!!!! I purchased the bike through Colorado Cyclist for a smokin deal (under 3 G's). I got the frame for 1500, and threw on 98' XTR, Chris King headset and hubs, Mavic rims, Kore stem, Easton CT2 bar, Syncros seat post, Flite saddle and Rockshox Judy XC(it was on sale, prefer Zokes). Anyways the bike is fabulous. I cannot feel any flex while riding, and the frame absorbs alot of shock from the slate and rocks that litter the trails in Arizona. As for the climbing and descending, it's so fast that I almost soil my drawers. I feel faster and stronger on this bike. If you have the opportunity to come across a Tellico, you too can soil your drawers. Any questions I can answer for ya' feel free to e-mail me. :-)

[Oct 04, 1998]
Shane Flores
racer

This is the only bike in production to be made af full 6/4 ti. It's the best bike I have ever ridden. I've ridden and worked on countless bikes. I purchased my bike at a great shop in Jacksonville Fl. They were the only Litespeed dealer in town. I decided to get the Tellico and only two days later it arrived. I couldn't be any happier with the frame. It went together beatifully and the ride is spectacular. It follows the line you want, it's fairly stiff due to the 6/4 ti, yet it's still forgiving and it soaks up a lot of the bumps. It climbs like a madman. Living here in Co., I see some pretty narly sruff, but this bike gives me the ability to conquer just about any terrain. I've won several races on this bike including a world cup event in Ga., and a couple races here in Co. I have my Tellico built up with XTR, Raceface, and Mavic components. It's simply the best bike you can buy.

[Aug 02, 1998]
Michael C
racer

I have owned many bikes and have ridden even more I worked in a bike shop for some time, and i must say that the tellico is the sweetest, lightest, most forgiving XC hardtail frame I have ever ridden. If you can fork over the money the frame is defintly worth it.

[Jun 03, 1998]
Clarke Clingenpeel
racer

I have been mountain biking for the last 8 years & racing for the last 6. I started off with your basic cro-mo frame, then moved to aluminum. I weigh 130lbs, and found the aluminum way to stiff. I would never recommend aluminum for anyone under 150lbs that riding technical singletrack. I bought my first litespeed frame used for $800. It was a 90' model (two years old) with the elevated chain stays. It was so light and soaked up the nasty bumps so well. I noticed one day the weld at the downtube/headtube junction pulling away. I sent it back in to litespeed, with a note telling them I was a racer. They called and said they could fix it, but if I was riding hard, it probably eventyually come on done. They offered to send me free of charge a brand new Obed. Instead, I asked how much to upgrade to the Telico. Compared to the cost of new, it was too good to pass up. I have owned the bike for three years now, and have been extremely pleased. The 14 frame ways less than 2.5lbs. The whole bike is 20.5lbs. The brakes are Magura, and the frame does flex, but with the eastern singletrack, it works well. I would recommend litespeed to anyone looking for a great singletrack bike.

[Mar 30, 1998]
Michael C.
racer

I have owned many bikes from road frames to mt. bike frames, from cro-mo frames to aluminum frames. And this is my first Titanium bike it is awsome if you can afford it. it will make you ride so much faster and if feels so good. i put all XTR and Chris King components on mine as well as some cherry picked items that come on this team issue bike and picked the white bros. SC70UL fork for it because unlike the sid it is a fork and is not supose to flex nor is it supose to break after a couple of rides after talking to the team rep. at litespeed and talking to others i bought the litest frame wich is also the stongest and also the longest lasting frame on the market this is due to the frame being 6AL/4V TI. you can't get any better than this! as for the XTR nothing needs to be said cause we all know it's better than anything else out there (the reason why is because it is made in JAPAN) as for the Chris King headset and hubs SWEET no one else comes close to quality or durability. (they make their own bearings unlike everyone else who buys someone elses mismatched bearings (also 10 year life time warrenty! HELLO!)) as for the Fork WHITE BROS. HAS BEEN MAKING FORKS LONGER THAN ALL THE OTHERS THEY WERE MAKING THEM FOR DIRTBIKES WHEN MT. BIKES HADN'T EVEN BEEN INVENTED YET SO THEY KNOW HOW TO MAKE A STRONG LITE, (KICK SID'S BUT ALL OVER THE PLACE) FORK AS FOR THE REST OF THE STUFF LIKE THE MAVIC 517X RIMS AND TIRES AND STUFF THEY ARE NICE AS WELL BUT NOT WORTH THE TIME WRITING ABOUT. this COMBINATION will WIN you MANY championships!