Litespeed Owl Hollow Frameset

Litespeed Owl Hollow

steveo   Cross Country Rider [Sep 04, 2003]
Strength:

light, strong, stiff, forgiving. The bike climbs super well and is super quick and nimble.

A little sketchy on high speed decents and a little rough through rock gardens, but it is a cross country hardtail, duh.

Pretty much built this bike in 00' with the help of MTBR reviews, thought I'd return the favor. This bike rules. Had a xfly 100 on it but felt a bit sluggish. Compared to the full suspension, it definitely requires more rider attention/skill. The payoff is reliability and overall superior speed through 90% of what I ride(singletrack); probably because of weight and handling. Less time hosing with shocks and pivots means more time on the trail. Gotta admit though, the fs is fun.

Similar Products Used: Jamis, diamond back arrival, bridgestone mb2, now have a db xsl beater.
Stephen Burton   Racer [Jul 26, 2001]
Strength:

Reasonable weight, amazing ride, bombproof frame, with durable finish, attention to detail, appearance!!

They don't make it anymore!

If doctors could provide an operation that made a bike part of you they would simply provide you with an Owl Hollow. I love riding this bike it is light, comfortable, (especially with the Spox wheels) handles well and has made me a better rider the day I got on it. I have to work very hard to find anything that I can moan about, but here they are. THe first thing of concern was that I have bent the, non replacable 6/4 drop out several times. Everytime this happened I was concerned, although it was easily corrected and appears none the worse for wear (after 3 years and 10+ corrections). I nevertheless contacted Litespeed about it they said it wouldn't be a warranty item which worried me more. But three years of savage NZ riding and numerous corrections and the drop out still looks like new has put my mind at rest. Other minor issues: the top tube is kinda short and the steering angle fairly steep, especially compared to my last steed, (Giant MCM), this makes it a very aggressive bike. Designed to go fast all the time. It makes it excellent through tight single track, fast in and power out. But can make it a little nervous on fast rutted fireroads, although the super smooth ride helps offset that a little. Also gotta use Tiprep grease in the headset or put up with creaks that will drive you crazy! But overall after three+ years and a hell of a thrashing including madman trails in the Southamerican Andes, and wearing out a complete set of XTR, I'm still loving it!!
I can only give a NZ$4500 frame 5 flamin chillis coz I know it is going to last longer than I do!

Similar Products Used: Giant MCM Monoqoque Carbon, Treck 9900, Avanti (NZ) Competitor, KHS Team,
Marshall   racer [May 21, 1998]

What we need here is a Weekend Warrior/Racer catagory.Anyway. Had this frame now for about four months, and have ridden it hard and ridden it fast! Like mentioned before, it's not the lightest frame your $$ will buy --but who cares? If you want light, buy a super thin wall aluminum bike that will beat your to death and wear out in three years... The massive 6/4 downtube Litespeed has conjured up covers the entire BB shell from left to right -so the frame has no lateral flex at all. I have taken this bike into corners at killing speed, and it carves a line like it's on rails. It's damn near voodoo. Now the really cool part about Ti frames and this one in particular. It's stiff as all hell under acceleration and cornering, but sucks up bumps and ruts like you wouldn't believe. Still a hardtail, no doubt, but a really plush one. And fast fast fast. On singletrack, my Owl still scares me. It's so point and shoot it's freaky. I crash more because I'm going so much faster on this frame. Like mentioned before, this bike begs to be ridden fast because it makes it so easy. For you SoCal people, rode the San Juan on this and hung with the dualie crowd, and that's a brutal trail.
I give this frame a zillion chiles. For the ultimate speed freak race bike, it doesn't get much faster than this.

Eric Jones   Cross Country Rider [Aug 31, 2000]
Strength:

Incredible ride quality, durability to last me into my 30's (17 now), superior craftsmenship, fits me well, love the color and decals.

The rear brake posts were loose, but that's hardly a weakness since it could be tightened up with a 9mm wrench easily.

I took a trip out to CO a couple of years ago and rode a full suspension. Within 2 weeks, I got a Specialized FSR which I upgraded over the years. I finally replaced every piece except for the frame. Then I began to get tired of the bobbing motion of the full suspension design. I couldn't keep up on group rides, and was having a hell of a time on the uphills. I wanted to switch to hardtail so I could build my skills, and get the speed I desired. Naturally I wanted to upgrade to the best quality of frame I could, so I looked at Titanium. I work in a bike shop that deals Litespeed, and it wasn't long before I was checking out the pro-deal information they offer. I took my summer money and purchased the frame at an excellent price, then used the shop's tools to switch over all my old components. I had to buy a new seatpost and bottom bracket, but it wasn't that big a deal with my discount. As soon as it got together I've been taking it out quite frequently, and am amazed at the ride. It's going to take some time getting used to the transition from full suspension, but I don't see how this amazing, high-quality frame could ever fail me. Five chilis for many years of riding bliss to come.

Similar Products Used: Have never ridden anything like it.
William   [Apr 12, 2000]
Strength:

rides like a dream, looks good all the time, fits me

people gauck at its beauty,

I'm 6'5" and needed a bike w/a top tube to match. Liked the ride of steel, and wanted a bike for life. It ain't cheap, but I't will last longer than an Al bike. The ride is identical to my Tange Prestige Stumpjumper '94, good dampening. The difference is in the down tube. It flexes little if any and there by provides efficient power transfer.

It's a beauty, 22" of Ti lovin'. Strong too the frame has smacked some rocks w/ not even a scratch to show for it.

Face it, it takes a certain person to buy a Ti hardtail, espically w/fullsuspension getting soo much better, but if you want a bike that is built to last and are a little bit on the old school side Litespeed it the way to go. The initial cost is high, but maintenance is non existant; think about owning a full suspension bike for 5 years+

Ride that donkey... All day long!!!

Similar Products Used: Stumpjumper (tange prestige not the M2)
Weeli   Cross-Country Rider [Jul 27, 1999]
Strength:

Strong,lightweight,cool looking, mean looking.

High standover height. Very stiff.

Not the most comfortable bike but certainly the best for fast racing. Handling is quick and excellent power transfer due to its stiffness. After more than 2 years of racing the Owl (1997 model) it still excite me to ride it everytime and everywhere.

Similar Products Used: Klein Adriot
Chris Brown   Weekend Warrior [May 27, 1999]
Strength:

Lightweight, strong, quick handling

This bike rocks! The lightweight, quick handling and supple fork make this thing an absolute blast to ride fast. It is a lot of money for one of these, but once you have spent some time on one you will be glad you spent the bucks. I give it 5 flaming dead mice!!!!!!!!!!!!

Similar Products Used: Cannondale Delta V 1000
Mike Edge   Cross-Country Rider [May 16, 1999]
Strength:

Supple, light and well made

Price

Rode fast over tree roots like I was on my full suspension (well, darned nearly), charging across rough terrain like a supercharged mountain goat. This is when you realize what the money really bought..!!

Similar Products Used: Mongoose Comp SX
Jamis Dakar Pro
Clint Roberts   cross-country rider [Jul 13, 1998]

Well, I have had my 18 1998 Litespeed Owl Hollow with all XT, Judy SL LT, Control tech stem (105mm, 5degree rise), Control tech seatpost, and Control tech stubbies (If you haven't seen the stubbies take a look at them) for about a week now. It is a great bike. Some reviewers said this is the stiffest frame, well apparently they have not ridden a Klein Adroit 9aluminum). Anyway, I am not complaining. My titanium Litespeed is a dream to ride compared to the Klein. Stiff enough yet supple in the rough. I also had trouble getting the right height to top tube length. My new bike is considerably taller than my Klein but has the same top tube. I also shortened the stem for quicker steering. Other than that I have a beatiful piec of titanium machinery at a great price. Thanks Chris and Beth at www.speedgoat.com and also thanks everyone and mtbr for posting this list. I got my bike at a great discount.

michael hsu   racer [Jul 04, 1998]

I applaud skepticalguy...clap,clap. as consumers we can only better the equip. we use by being skeptical and objective in its evaluation, considering the amount of hype that is at times prevalent in our sport. in response to skepticalguy ( who i will refer to as SG) the 2mm was my measurement with calipers from a new and confirmed true speedmax down at my LBS, we measured from the surface of the rim in more than one location to the center of the boss (sans brake), believe it or not one can see this just in the manner the v-brake arms are off to one side, 2mm is almost 1/8...pull your v-brake arms 1/8 to one side and tell me you can't see the difference. the frame was sent back to speedgoat (thanks again Chris) and measured and confirmed out of alignment, he then was authorized by litespeed with an RA. in my conversations with Eric in returns at litespeed he confirmed my, my LBS and Speedgoats findings and fixed it to the best of their ability... he admitted that it was more than 1.5mm out of center and also found the rear dropouts out of their manf. tolerences... they did not replace the frame because the dimensions still fell into tolerences which they could fix by resetting the rear end on a table. i'll quote eric at litespeed ....your frame is out of alignment, it should not have been shipped like this, we'er not sure how it happened i received my frame last week and it rides like it has wings...my advice is not to not buy litespeed (they came thru with honest and quality service) but to be skeptical before and after the sale. based on the service and the superb ride i am again a happy biker...5 for 5