Litespeed Ocoee Frame Frameset

Litespeed Ocoee frame

thor   Cross-Country Rider [Jul 21, 1999]
Strength:

The frame is really laterally stiff yet vertically compliant, which is much appreciated by my ruptured L4-L5. It hugs the trail nicely. It definitely climbs better than any other rig I've owned.

These are tall frames with high top tubes. At 6'2 with a 34 inseam, the 20 gives my boys barely enough room. I had a Kona at the same size and the sloped top tube made me a bit more daring. It looks like the new models have more of a slope....
Also, even though this may sound a little nitpicky, the frame's compliance makes it feel a bit dead. I'm no aluminum fan, but I'm a tad nostalgic for steel's feedback.

The bottom line is that this is by far the greatest bike I've owned, but, purchased after a series of injuries that have left me slower and a deskjob that's left me fatter, I'm still learning to love it. Through no fault of its own, while I admire it, I still see it as a spoiled brat's bike.

Similar Products Used: Kona, Raliegh Tomac, an 87' Specialized StumpJumper, Giant
Rudy Mason   cross-country rider [Jul 18, 1997]

Excellent Customer Service and a Quality product. Mail order purchased, but the frame
showed up without rear brake studs (mail order house had repacked the frame prior to shipment). Litespeed customer service shipped (overnight) a pair of brake studs without question. Frame is of the highest quality and the ride is top shelf.Quality product from a fine US company.

jerry   cross-country rider [Jul 09, 1997]

The Ocoee is a superbly crafted and beatifully executed work of art (that is if bike frames are your thing). The welds are top notch, the materials and looks are flawless. I've noticed an improved climbing feel over my older True Temper OXIII CrMo bike. I'm still learning the Ocoee's feel for downhill single track but in the logging road blast its tight and stable. My bike is fitted with a White SC70, XT shifters and brakes, King Headset and wheelset, Race Face everything else and it tips the scales at 24 lbs (17 frame). My only complaint was that the seat tube/post was too tight, the Race Face XY was 27.2mm exactly and the tube was under 27.2mm and requires a ream and hone job at the LBS. Litespeed is a very responsive company, all pre-purchase questions and calls were answered and the tight fit problem was referred back to the manufacturing floor. Also, compared to many other top names, the Ocoee can be had for a relatively reasonable price ($1300 from a mail order house in LA). Plus I built it up myself for that personal relationship you need with your ultimate bike.
How many chiles can I give it? 10!

Ski   weekend warrior [Jun 10, 1996]

This is the Obed frame, but with butted and tapered tubing and asymetric s-bend chainstays. The ride is definately unique. It soaks up bumps like a sweet steel frame, but doesn't give as much. It's very light, but amazingly forgiving. It climbs well, is comfortable for a long ride, but even though the geometry is something like 72/73, it is still maneuverable on a fast singltrack. Welds are of excellent quality. My decals aren't holding up well, though (a minor gripe). They are cracking and peeling after a year. A fantastic frame, though.

sam angle   Cross Country Rider [May 27, 2000]
Strength:

stiff, comfy, and makes me smile

lame stickers

I'm a busy person. For the last three years I have taken this bike out, ridden it hard, and put it away wet. It still works like the day I bought it. It's tough, and light. It rides through everything, and it does a body good (that's only a guareentee if you stay ON the bike). This bike is definitely for a person who likes to ride hard, race, or is just looking for longevity.

Similar Products Used: litespeed obed
Dan Burros   Cross Country Rider [May 15, 2001]
Strength:

Light, stiff, comfortable, doesn't rust.

Expensive.

It's wierd to use the terms stiff and comfortable in the same description but that's the best way to describe this ride. I've ridden CF, ALU, and steel. I fell in love with the ride of steel and didn't think I would ever buy a Ti frame but I got a great deal on this one and I am so happy. This frame is like sticking a rocket between your legs. It's fast, stiff, comfortable, and inspires my "I can do that" attitude. It's got the feel of steel, like it has a personality, and a good one, but it doesn't rust and it climbs like a goat. After taking all my parts off my steel Bontrager and putting them on my Litespeed my bike was 1.1 pounds lighter, and I could really feel the difference. I'm not a weight geek, but let's face it light is better as long as it holds up, and so far it has and I hope it continues to do so. The ride is magical!

Similar Products Used: No Ti, steel (Bontrager Race), Aluminum (Cannondale, Specialized, Jamis, etc.), Carbon (Mongoose, Trek)
Captain Kirk   Cross Country Rider [Aug 08, 2000]
Strength:

Aggressive, Quick response, Geometry and welds

Decals must go!
I stripped my off... Mat Ti frame only!

My Ocoee frame is old school (pre-asymmetrical chainstays), I abuse this frame day in and day out. It is unequivocally one of the most durable Ti frames available.
If you really want to ride, this bike wants to run. If you are interested in titanium buy from the pioneer in the industry... Litespeed. These frames as I well know are not cheap, if you are going to fork out the cash make sure you settle for quality. Litespeed has the quality and the craftsmanship to fulfill all your needs and dreams.

Similar Products Used: I knew what I wanted, I rode a Raliegh MT500 for one season.
After that, I didn't mess around...
Fab Dogg   Weekend Warrior [Jun 05, 2000]
Strength:

nice soft Ti feel, absorbs the bumps but still feel rigid enuff to make me give it a nice review

Okay, I'm like 6'2" and about 185lbs, I got a 20" frame and I feel a little "forced" on the bike... It fells a little long (like from my balls to the stem)...hmmm?

this '99 frame is sweet, well, I just kind of wish I had tried out a similar geometry before I bought it... when I first bought it, I slept with it... that's right, in the same bed, i needed to feel each and every weld for myself, and that bottom braket, well, let's just say it was the purrrfect size for my weiner...just kidding... good frame, got it for $1100 at the Village Peddler in Marin County, CA, USA...(okay deal), soft, with enough flex for me, and a fairly stiff downtube...

because of the framesize I've had to invert my stem (so I would have more weight on the handlebars), angle my Selle Italia seat more forward, and dicked around with the barendzzzz... whateva, I dig the bike and would recomend it to anyone who can find a good deal on the frame...Peace Out yall and remember, "RIDE OR DIE"

4 chillies for the expense of the damn thing and 4 chillies cuz the geometry is a little cooky...

Similar Products Used: Marin Pine Mountain (crap), Bridgestone MB-1 (culty bike), specialized FSR M4 (still not as nice as my litespeed)
Sebastien   Racer [Mar 09, 2000]
Strength:

I've had my Ocoee for four years now. The original reason I purchased the frame is still valid. Those who chose to buy titanium may not be getting the lightest frames. What they are getting is long term durability that CANNOT be matched by any other material currently on the market. The reason I chose the Ocoee was that it was the workhorse frameset for Litespeed up until the mid 90's.

The frame is extremely stiff yet extremely compliant. The first time I rode the frame was in a race. I though I was riding a suspension frame. The finish on the frameset is immaculate, though perhaps not the best avaialble. The geometry is set up to make it an awesome climber. I can clear technical uphills with this bike that I haven't been able to do with any other bike I've ridden. Technical singletrack is a breeze. Downhill performance is pretty good, though a bit skittish at speed due to the quick steering cahracteristics of the frame geometry. Technical downhills are not at all a problem. A long steertube allows a rider to place his center of gravity further back on the bike. This allows for steeper declines to be cleared more safely. This frame is ideal for cross country racing.

Even though I have high praise for the frameset, I have had some problems with it, and Litespeed. I'm not a finesse rider, though I would have expeceted that a titanium frameset be able to withstand all I could throw at it, my being a 150 lb. rider. This wasn't the case. I snapped the frame wile pre-riding for a local race.

To get the frame repaired was a nightmare. It took three months. Litespeed strictly enforces its warranty requirements. The warranty is valid only for the original owner, and only with a valid proof of purchase supplied directly to them. Due to the incompetence of the staff at the bike shop that I delt with, the required paperwork was not sent to Litespeed and the repairs were put on hold. Although the bike shop screwed up, a rep at Litespeed should have contacted the store immediately to request the required information. I kept checking with the bike shop. They assured me that everything was on track. After a month and a half later I took things into my own hands and contacted Litespeed directly. Customer service wasn't great at first. It took a few weeks to get answers and a confirmation the frameset was going to be repaired. It still took two weeks to get the frame back from Litepeed. They did re-buff the frame and add new decals. As with all Litespeed decals, they did not wear well. I scratched them after one ride and decided to removed them.

I think this is a great frameset. It is a work of art. I would suggest a Litspeed to anyone wishing to purchcase a quality titanium frameset. If you want to buy a frameset that will last you a long time (5+ years of major abuse), make the investment and buy titanium from one of the pioneer framebuilders (Litespeed, Merlin, etc.). What sets Litespeed apart from the other pioneer manufacturers is the high quality and wide range of products and prices offered. Even so, Litespeed needs to improve their customer service and turnaraound time on warranty repairs. In my situation, if I didn't have the means to purchase another frameset, the warranty repair would have cost me a whole race season.