Kona King Kahuna Frameset

Kona King Kahuna

Adam   Cross Country Rider [Sep 20, 2000]
Strength:

Geometry, strength, versatility. Does exactly what it should.

I have ridden a lot of bikes, including a custom-built steel hardtail. This is my dream bike . . .
But the bike that I am happy on is not necessarily one that you will like. I like a long top tube, a moderately steep head angle, and don't mind trading a little weight for extra stregth.
Nevertheless, I plan to ride this frame for a long, long time.

P.S. - Just in case you didn't know, Kona doesn't actually make bikes at all . . . they are merely an outsourcing and marking firm. Sorry Kona fans.

Similar Products Used: Custom steel, carbon fiber, aluminum.
brian smart   [Apr 03, 2000]
Strength:

US Sandvik TI, custom draw, gussets, great welds, beefy.

haven't found one yet and I've checked Moots, Seven, Merlin, proto-hype Yeti at interbike, Ibis.

Some of the Kings are being retrofitted for disk tabs, mine is one of them. Tasty 17" frame fits so nice, did my first test ride tonight and the Ti combined with the Next LP there is NO flex at all, if your legs have power it's all transfered. I've looked long and hard at Ti frames. Like I said, I checked them all in Interbike, Moots, Merlin, Seven, Ibis, and Yeti. The King may not be the lighest, but I didn't buy it for that. Bought it because it's just as clean as all the boutique, trust funders only, but less $$$$. I'm most certainly not second guessing my choice. The boys at Kona has a nice little secret.

Similar Products Used: First and last Ti bike
Jeff   Cross-Country Rider [Jun 04, 1999]
Strength:

workmanship, ride quality, gusseted, biovalizaed tubes, geometry

This is my first ti hardtail and I love it. Besides the riding position, the ti frame really soaks up some vibrations. The first few rides, I thought the rear tire was flatting, but it was just the ti rear end doing its job. Not the lightest bike, but it is really fun to ride. Climbs better than my Manitou HT, cause the ti rear end doesn't bounce around as much as an aluminum rear end.

fish   Cross-Country Rider [Apr 19, 1999]
Strength:

Kona design
hand built in USA
Sandvik custom drawn shaped, gussetted

$

This is just a prebuild/preride review.. I'm working on gathering all the parts for this awesome frame.. after emptying z wallet for the frame, may have to cut some corners on compenents till next year.. Have worn out my Kula, now on to my lifetimer frame! This frame is flawless interms of the welds and detailing and should track like a wet dream! Will be back with a ride review when completed.. 5 chili's for starters!

Similar Products Used: Kona Kula - only frame geometry is similar.
ron fisher   Cross Country Rider [Jul 08, 2007]
Strength:

I posted my original post above back in 99. I'm still riding this frame with different components. Rock solid and still going!

Great frame