Kona Hei Hei Frameset Frameset

Hei Hei Frameset

Kona Hei Hei Frameset

Major   Cross Country Rider [Jul 07, 2011]
Strength:

Lovely geometry, superb climber, resilient feel of ti.

None, really. Well, I do like the look of a nicely painted steel frame better than bare ti, but that's about it.

Probably the best handling hardtail I have ever ridden. Just does everything really well. Fast and nimble, excels in technical terrain, yet not scared of some downhilling either. Not wanting to repeat what has been said many times here before, but the titanium stays do soak up a surprising amount of chatter, bumps and vibration. Would like to get my hands on a 20" 1993 or earlier (non suspension corrected) Hei Hei some day.

Similar Products Used: Lots of steel hardtails
BIGern   Cross Country Rider [Mar 02, 2002]
Strength:

•lightweight
•Agressive Geometry
•Tight turnung
•Comfortable ride

•No disc brakes mounts ( Well thats why older model bikes are more affordable)
*Price for frame

I work at a bike shop and tried alot of frames and took my time looking for a good ride that worked for me a 5,11 165lb guy with more leg than torsoe length. The kona frame really seats me nicely. I have plenty of standover height and I can stretch out . I got this 19 in. bike to do a little bit of everything (Urban, Cross Country, Free Ride). So far I have no complaints. It weighs in at 24.3 lb's so you can throw it over stuff with ease and fly up hills. It is nimble as hell and handles fast speeds with ease. Get the urge to do some gnarley riding just lower the seat way down thanks to konas down sloping top tube design.................. I Love Kona frame designs. I love Titanium (soft and light).....!!! What a perfect match !!!!

Similar Products Used: •Rocky Mountain frames
•Marin Frames
•Trek
• Giant frames
Ti YourMotherDown   Cross Country Rider [Oct 22, 2001]
Strength:

Light, strong, beautiful Sandvik welds, American tubes, closeout pricing, nice graphics, perfect XC geometry, low stand over height, and let's not forget - the freakin' ride is awesome!!!

Uh... no replaceable derailleur hanger... no disc tabs... both seem to be facts of life with ti frames.

I'm 38 years old. I live in the foothills of Northern Colorado. I have been active in the MTB community since 1988. The guys I ride with usually do 20 to 40 miles at a time. I always thought of titanium as being for the chi-chi set who, without kids and dogs, could afford Merlin's or Litespeed's. I never thought I would desire a ti frame.

Over the past few years I started to develop a degenerative condition in my neck. I had to get off my alu hardtail immediately - way too abusive - too much high frequency vibration going right to the base of my spine. So, I went big and built up a GT i-drive carbon / thermoplastic frame - the STS 1000. I figured fully suspended carbon fiber with 4.5 inches of travel would buy me lots more time on the bike - and it did. This thing is plush. Unfortunately, even with the lightest parts this pig still weighs about 29 pounds. Add some 2.4's and a long travel fork and it's a 30+ pound trailbike. Of course, now my knees started hurting....

I had heard of ti's sweet, forgiving ride but always thought that at least half of the hype was necessary due to the prices people were paying. I rode an acquaintances ti FS bike and right away I felt the "ride". Based on a friend's recommendation I scored one of these frames on closeout. I am happy to say that not only am I one of the converted but that I will probably never ride anything but ti again. I am now a true-blue, chi-chi-ti man!!!

The ride is "plush", forgiving, predictable, fast, responsive and in NO WAY abusive. You can feel the trail slapping you around - not the bike.

Here's an analogy. I used to build and play guitars professionally. If you play guitar you might appreciate this. Aluminum hardtails are like beginner, laminate acoustic guitars - they're cheap, they get the job done and most people don't know the difference. Full suspension bikes are like electric guitars - lots of new tricks become easier to do. Your style of riding will change. Ti bikes (this one in particular) are like beautiful, handmade, solid wood acoustics. It's all about getting back to the purity of the sport and not losing any of the excitement.

Bottom line. The frame is the heart of the bike. No other part affects the ride so much. This may be the sweetest frame on the planet. If you have the chance, buy two!

Similar Products Used: First time on titanium. CANNOT compare to chromoly, aluminum, vanadium, scandium, etc...
Rich Matthews   Weekend Warrior [Mar 09, 2004]
Strength:

Hard to believe I've had this bike for 3 years, and it's kinda weird to look back on my review in 2001. I've been all over with this bike, raced it and beaten it up, and it still comes back for more. I've never found problems with having no dask brakes, and if in the future I decide to go that way, I can always have one added. In the thick mud of the UK, the cable routing has never been a problem, and I'm grateful for the sloping downtube when I've found myself in some tricky technical situations. The real strength in this product is it's agelessness (if that's a word!), I've upgraded a few times since I've had the bike, and never once have I thought, time to change the frame, as so many others have said, this'll probably be the last frame I'll own...truely hot potatoe!

None, only that Kona no longer make the Hei Hei or King Kahuna.

What more can be said. There are still quite a few of these bikes floating about on Ebay both Hei Hei's and King Kahuna's.

They range in age from 1990 - 2001/2 so there's plenty out there..but it's just if you're lucky enough to get hold of one.

The Hei Hei will suit a variety of riders, from weekend warriors to tourers, to out and out race heads.

Ride on!

Similar Products Used: None simular, but previously owned, Trek 8500, Trek 970, and an Orange.
Matt   Cross Country Rider [Oct 01, 2001]
Strength:

light, nice welds, comfy for longer rides and still nible as hell for tight twisty single track...the bike is also super stable in everything which makes riding it fun as hell.

nothing really, it's not as nice as an expensive custom ti frame but then again it wasn't $4000

I love the bike, its fast in tight stuff yet good for longer rides and is light. I think that if you were to want something in a bike, the HEI HEI has it all. I ride tech. stuff all the time and it holds its own, lets you throw it around and get threw it... I say its a great bike for all kinds of riding so I give it a great score.

Similar Products Used: gt alum. frame and tested a few other ti frames
John   Cross Country Rider [Feb 27, 2007]
Strength:

Light, Flexible, Durable

No brake tabs

Beed riding this bike for 12 years! Not too many marriages last this long. Got into MTB back in 1993 and bought this as trophy thinking that it would be my last bike. Guess what? I haven't had another bike since I bought it back in 95. I recently updated this year as my son got into biking and gave him my old parts that survived.

Since I bought the bike, I've had 2 wheelsets, 3 bottom brackets, 2 headsets, and now on the 3rd fork and the 3rd drivetrain. This is one tough bike! Keeps a steady line even when being hammered down the hills. Climbs effortlessly.

Looking for to go FS but it's taking me some time to part with this old and trusted friend

Similar Products Used: Kona Cindercone, Trek 950, Specialized M2
Rich Matthews   Cross Country Rider [Aug 03, 2001]
Strength:

Well, this baby is just a frame at the moment, but I'm already impressed with the welds and light weight of the frame...it's got the 1997 decals on it too, which personally I think is better than the black decals of later years.

None found as of yet...maybe the downtube cable routing, but this frame was built in 1996-97, pre-top cable routing.

As I've only had it less than a month, I can't describe the ride, but from what other owners have said here, I think I'm gonna be hanging onto my hat...this is gonna be one heluva ride!!!!

Similar Products Used: None touch this, but my other bikes were, Trek 8500, Trek 970, and Orange Clockwork Deore.
Steve   cross-country rider [Sep 25, 1998]

I've been on a Hei Hei, not the King Kahuna though, for about a year and have nothing but good things to say about this frame. The handling is telepathic. Think about changing direction and its happening. I even have a sacked out Manitou fork on the front end right now and the handling is still that good. The quality of the build is awsome. Welds are clean, bottom bracket and headset went in nice and easy. No chasing threads or other B.S. required. After ten years on aluminum hardtails, beginning with one of the old late eighties Cannondales (WAY STIFF) I have to say the softer ride just kicks butt. When I first put this bike together there was a noticable amount of side to side frame flex around the bottom bracket area when standing and hammering. I don't really notice it now. Recently, I took a ride on my buddys Alu hardtail. The old feeling of instant power that I thought I might have given up was just not there. It was stiffer, but not in a way that made it any faster, just stiffer in a crappy, choppy way. Don't get me wrong, I'm not some Ti snob. I bet a sweet steel frame feels good too.
Just no more fat aluminum for me, thanks.Also, Kona was really cool as far as customer service. I bought this frame as part of an upgrade/warranty swap for my old Alu Kona that cracked. They were gonna give me a replacement for my old frame no questions asked. I didn't even have to break out the Just Riding Along.......bit. Good guys over there at Kona.

Bruce   cross-country rider [Sep 30, 1998]

This frame is awesome. I know that is what everyone says on this page, but it is true! This is my second Kona Mt Bike, the first was a Kileuea Steel tange prestige model. It awas a really nice frame but for the kind of riding that i do the Ti is even better, ( lots of Single track) It accelerates like A rat with on Steriods and climbs great too! And the workmanship is as good as the best frames out there! Love this Bike!!!!

Greg Barca   cross-country rider [Mar 19, 1998]

I bought mine in April of '91. Before that I had the original Paramountain, great bike. This has got to be one of the Hall of Fame classic frames. Pre-suspension bike that all other frames have copied from over time. Sloping top tube, high bottom bracket, large downtube, etc... Not originally made for suspension, today I run Z2's on it, and it's HOT! The only thing I can fault it on is high speed fire road stuff, attention getting for sure! Let's see how the Z2 smoothes out that issue over time. I don't know about the newer versions of this frame, but I sure as hell like the one I've got.