Klein Attitude Race Frameset

Klein Attitude Race

Nikita   Cross Country Rider [Jul 07, 2003]
Strength:

Very rigid, superb handling, accelerates like a bullet, painting, very comfortable geometry.

None detected

This frame is simply the best hardtail frame I've tried. Light, rigid, controllable, and really FAST! It accelerates so fast that sometimes it scares me - 70 kph is quite good speed for a bicycle :)

Also, Klein's paint job is as great as always.

Similar Products Used: Attitude Pro&Comp, Treks, Gary Fishers
Andy   Cross Country Rider [Jun 03, 2003]
Strength:

climbing capability, responsiveness

none that i know of

i am 22 and 155 lbs, i think everyone posting should list their age and weight as it affects the performance and durability of the bike. for me, this bike is outstanding, i race and climb and downhill and this bike takes it all with a big smile on its face. i would recommend this frame and component set to anyone. heavier riders, or riders with little experience that tend to be overly hard on their bikes, meaning, bashing into every rock on the trail, not maintaining their bike, shifting at poor times..etc, dont bad mouth klein, they are a premier frame producer and their bikes work incredibly if you have just a little finesse on the trail.

Similar Products Used: pulse race, hard rock
matt gersib   Racer [Feb 21, 2002]
Strength:

-solid, responsive handling
-amazing build/paint quality
-sensitive to adjustments in setup
-did i mention the handling?
-climbs like a scared cheetah (when my legs are up to it)
-descends with confidence (when set up correctly)
-custom program produces one-of-a-kind paint finishes

-thin top tube is somewhat easy to dent
-sensitive to setup - it can work poorly (for me) if set up sub-optimally
-almost too beautiful to get really muddy

like several people posting below, i broke a '99 attitude at the right rear dropout and this was my replacement frame. thanks to a friend at klein, they hooked me up with a pre-production 2000 frame with full custom paint. well, since they sent me this frame, i have acquired two other kleins, if that tells you anything about how much i enjoy riding their bikes. they're superb in virtually every way. over the course of the last two years, i've had three different forks on the bike, recently graduating to a manitou black super air set at 100mm, which has reinvigorated my excitement about this bike. it's very sensitive to setup, and late last year, after riding my klein adept with a 105mm manitou x-vert super on the front, i was very dissatisfied with the performance of the 80mm travel manitou sx-r i had on the front of the attitude. i think my riding style has adapted to longer travel forks, so 80mm feels awfully short. the big 30mm stanctions of the black also make the most of the klein's stiff top tube, which enhances handling noticably.

coming off of a bontrager racelite, i was initially worried that the attitude was going to be too harsh for me. i was pleasantly surprised, though the ride is decidedly firmer than the racelite. it's certainly not objectionable, but i also run a bontrager fs ti-railed saddle on this bike (instead of the flite on my adept) to help smooth things out as much as possible. i've run tamer suspension posts on the bike in the past, but don't like the top-heavy feel that suspension posts add to the bike.

overall, this is the best balanced hardtail i've ever ridden in its present state of build. take care setting it up and you'll be rewarded

Similar Products Used: Bontrager Race and Racelite, custom geometry/custom paint Klein Adroit ('00), Klein Adept ('01), Schwinn Homegrown Factory ('00), about 30 other mountain bikes over my lifetime...
Bo Wacker   Weekend Warrior [Jan 08, 2002]

I have earlier posted my complaint about a broken frame. I returned a broken frame to the USA through the Danish distributor and have now received a new frame. It is a new model and another colour. It took 2 months......

If that is service - I am not sure I will buy the product again. Or maybe it is just my local distributor who needs a kick in the a..

Chad Peterson   Cross Country Rider [Nov 22, 2001]
Strength:

strong, excellent handling, light

it's a hard tail, Klein is owned by trek, the wal-mart of the bike industry

This is an awesome frame, I reccomend buying it as a frame and building it up. As klein, or trek has a tendency to mix up the components between high and low end parts, I have taken off over a pound and a half buy switching cranks, pedals and front der. Buy this frame if you know how to cut your lines coming down, as the key to this bike is its handling and responsiveness it climbs fast, definatley the best climber I have ever encountered, its also a great decender, I am more the back country rider and choose the klein for its reliability and strength, now I use it as a race specific rig. it makes a key addition to my full susp. rig. If you understand that a full susp. rig isn't always ideal then the klein is a good choice. I have also taken 3 foot drops on this bike, ( I do not reccomend this bike for this purpose ) but it still holds strong.

Similar Products Used: cannondale, bontrager privateer, psycle werks wild hare,
Bo Wacker   Cross Country Rider [Nov 07, 2001]
Strength:

Very nice finnish, looks cool

Broke after normal XC race

The bike was wonderfull until it broke. It broke just next to the géar drop. I have now send it to the local Danish distributor and hope to get a better service than the the other reviewer....
5 chili´s before the brake........
Lets wait and wait for the Klein service

Similar Products Used: Principia MSL
Mike   [Sep 18, 2001]
Strength:

REVIEW IS FOR '99 ATTITUDE MEDIUM FRAME

Frame cracked at rear derailure after 5 months of riding.

Until then the bike performed wonderfully as other reviews have stated.

As I understand the '99 Attitude had a weak spot in the frame at the rear derailure. I had called Klein and they were quite helpfull and promised to send a replacement frame with in a few days. They gladly did not have to wait to see my broken frame before they sent the new one in order to expedite matters. Unfortunately it is now almost SEVEN WEEKS later and I am still without a bike. Without going into too much further detail, apparently Klein and possibly my LBS had 'dropped the ball.'

I've personally made numerous calls to Klein and to my LBS, but to no avail, for I am still with out my bike.

How do I rate this one?

When the bike worked it was a 5; when it didn't: O.

If Klein or my LBS offer some sort of condolences and this all finally works out I will repost.

Greg Ames   Cross Country Rider [Jul 26, 2001]
Strength:

Stiff, responsive, climbs like a monkey.

That pretty paint is fragile.

I think I got a freak bike on close out from Trek. My Attitude race has external cables, disk mounts and a replaceable R.derailhanger. They said I was getting a 99' Attitude(thats why so cheap). The cables are all routed along the top tube. Allowing use of the sweeet XTR top pull I could not use on my old Attitude. The replaceable hanger is a very good thing also, ask me how I know. I think Klien has been tinkering with the tubing because this new frame dosent have as harsh a ride as my 97. Though more compliant, it tracks, climbs and accelerates better. For those looking for a good SS. Those great drop outs allow you to run single speed without a tensioner by tinkering with gearing. The tired old dented 97 Attitude is know a bad ass 17lb fixed gear. I've been waiting for the 97 to die but it has been hanging on. I bought the bike for xc racing but it was also my DH, UA, and commuter bike. A super light XC frame shouldent take non-XC abuse for four years but it has and is still goin. And the new frame is better! Lots-a-chillis

Similar Products Used: 97 attitude race
Eric   Cross Country Rider [Jul 11, 2001]
Strength:

light, stiff, paint, welds, tubeset, micro-dropouts

I have the '00 model and I have had no problems with it. It has very good power transfer compared even to other aluminum frames. Looking at the chainstays of the klein and then looking at those of another aluminum frame, you can tell the quality of the klein frame. Even with its $800 retail price tag, it is a good deal when compared with other high-priced hardtail frames which are of inferior quality.

Similar Products Used: fisher aluminum hardtail
Pete   Cross Country Rider [Mar 01, 2003]
Strength:

Light, fast, comfortable; a very good ride. Nice paint job....

Internal cable routing; cables routed under bottom bracket; rear Hayes disk mount rather than IS, thus limiting choice of disk system used; poor clearance if you're running larger tyres; long headtube; bottom pull front mech required; seems to suffer quite badly from chainsuck (with a brand new XT chainset); possible longterm durability issues.

I got this frame in late 2002 as a warranty replacement for a Trek & two Fishers I'd snapped. It's not a frame I would have bought with my own cash, certainly not at the £600-£700 asking price.

The Attitude rides very well indeed but it's not a great bike for the UK. I've had problems with water freezing around the gear cables where they run under the BB shell - c'mon, this kind of cable routing was passe a decade ago! The internal routing is just a pain when it comes to replacing cables.

Note that the headtube (at least on the XL frame I've got) is very long. The forks I'd been swapping around between other bikes for a few years, despite being run with 20mm of headset spacers, had a steerer that was too short for this frame (without any spacers). When you add in the fact that you'll probably also need to buy a new front mech, you may find yourself unable to simply swap over components from another bike. It could cost you.

This is compounded by the rear Hayes mount; I had to buy an adaptor and new caliper half to run my old C2. I had been running an old Magura rim brake, which I was quite happy with in terms of braking performance. Unfortunately, the tight clearance of the seatstays round the 2.1" tyres I run made getting the wheel in & out a performance.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great ride - fast & responsive, and a great climber. However, the design flaws mean it's not the best option for the UK. Over the last three years I've become somewhat cynical about lightweight aluminium frames (I've had three, all of which have broken within a year). When this one snaps sometime in the next twelve months, which I'm confident it will, I'll be asking for another hardtail from the Trek Co stable rather than an Attitude.