KHS FXT LT3 Frameset

KHS FXT LT3 Frameset

KHS FXT LT3

[Oct 29, 2008]
Big Kuya

Strength:

weight to strength ratio of frame. adjustable seat tube angle and seat tube tower. first of its kind. Easton tube main triangle, gusseted heatube junction, greasable pivot fittings,active rear horst link, square welded chainstays and seatstays.

limited production

unique frame. Elusive in its debut at the turn of the century (frameset sold in limited producion). I believe Im the 3rd owner (rebuilt from frame up)an its still a strong ride. Fine tuned the bike geometry with an adjustable seat tower (71 - 65 deg). Head tube at 69 degree with 5 inch travel fork. Gusseted in key areas before other frame manufacturers followed. Rocker link is short and tight but suspension is supple with Fox RP23 and 5 inches rear travel. All the fine tuning adjustments allow rider to center to middle of the bike. Amazing climber with respect to age and pre-freeride frame heritage. smooth descender with the fully active Horst link rear suspension. Out of the bikes I've had built & owned this is one of the smoothest and comfortable bike frames I've ridden. Definitely a keeper if you can find one around. The geometric adjustability to your custom fit will make it one of your favorite bikes around.

specialized fsr, kona stinky,

[Jun 18, 2003]
I LIKE TO RIDE BIKES

Strength:

THIS REVIEW IS FOR A "02 KHS FXT RAGE

4.5 TRAVEL.
LIGHT WEIGHT
GOOD HEAD ANGLE
LOW STAND OVER HEIGHT
O.K. B.B. HEIGHT
TAKES IT ALL AND KEEPS GOING

LACK OF BEARINGS IN THE REAR END. (WHAT IS UP WITH THAT)
TO LIGHT OF A SHOCK SPRING (RED ONE)
THE CRANK AND B.B.IS A COMPLETE JOKE
THE BOLTS POPED OUT OF THE STEM/HANDLEBAR CLAMP WHEN I WENT OFF A CURB.
THE RIGHT FORK LEG STARTING LEAKING AFTER 3 MONTHS

OVER ALL THIS IS A GOOD CROSSCOUNTRY/TRAILS BIKE. IT IT WOULD LAST A LONG TIME IF YOU DID JUST THAT. I RIDE IT LIKES IT'S A FREERIDE BIKE. I'VE HAD TO REPLACE/UPGRADE TO: RACEFACE PRODIGY DH CRANKS W/BASH G., PRO TAPER HANDLEBARS, TRUVATIVE DH B.B., 110 MM X-STEM, IRC KUGO 2.65 FRONT TIRE, TIOGA DH 2.10 BACK TIRE, THIS FRAME HAS TAKEN A LOT OF POUNDING AND IT KEEPS GOING. SURE THE BACK END HAS LOOSEN'D UP A LITTLE BUT THATS EXPECTED 'CAUSE IT DOSEN'T HAVE BEARINGS. THE BIKE IS HOLDING UP NOW, I RIDE IT EVERY DAY. I DON'T THINK I COULD HAVE GOT A BETTER BIKE FOR THE MONEY. ONCE I BUY A FORK I THINK I'LL BE SET. IT HANDLES GREAT AND LOVES TO JUMP. I REALIZE THAT IT CAN'T DO THINGS THAT A QUALITY BIKE WITH 6" CAN DO, BUT I STILL HAVE FUN. BOTTOM LINE, THIS BIKE IS A STEAL AT 899, UPGADE A LITTLE BIT IT WILL LAST YOU, IF YOU RIDE TRAILS AND "GO OFF" SOMETIMES. IF YOU LIKE DOING DROPS AND JUMPS ALL THE TIME, DO YOU'R SELF A FAVER, AND BY A BIKE WITH AT LEAST 5" OF GOOD TRAVEL.

"02 K2 BUMPY MONKY
AZONIC HARDTAIL
'99 ROCK HOPPER

[Feb 06, 2002]
darwin k

Strength:

pedals just as good as most other fs bikes costing a s**t load more, adj travel, uses same r seat & chain stays as the norco vps line so no shortage of parts.

khs still lists the frame in their catalogue but try an get one. its takin too long to get my 6" rockers.

hey why bother spending up to 3500 cdn on some overpriced frame that doesnt give anything up to this cheapie? u can get up an mash the pedals without the thing bobbing like some other bikes and still have a full 5 or 6 in of travel. if youre cheap like me and still want a bombproof freeride bike try an track one of these down while u still can. if u want an even better ride pop a rhomic or a progressive shock on it and go. peace out yo

khs dominatrax (FLEXY PIECE OF S**T) norco vps, olt khs fxt team, brodie diablo bla bla

[Jul 25, 1999]
Maple
Downhiller

Strength:

PLuuuSH !
no flex
upgrade 7 kit
4 bar linkage

not monocock front triangle

This is a sweet ride... it's a friends bike and it's sweet ... a lot better than my DH rig ( 4.5 front and rear ) but he offered to sell me frame and fork ... and I will buy it if I can get the $$$ for it...

Norco VPS-1
Intense M-1
SPEC FSR Pro Custom

[Nov 18, 2000]
max

Strength:

take take anything

everybody else says its heavy, but its fine for me, the frame is about 8 lbs

this bike kicks ass. its not really as heavy as people think. it can take any drops, stairs, or jumps i dish at it and does them with style. looks cool, performs awesome and is perfect for the freeriding/urban assualt that i do

hardtail (i broke the frame)

[Jul 07, 2000]
John Boy

Strength:

Plush ride. Beefy construction. Price.

HT angle slack w/ a long travel fork

This is definately not your ordinary mass produced frameset. KHS definately does their homework, as I spoke with someone there while I was researching some frames who told me that this frame was beefed up from the '99 LT2 version as they found out a lot of people where buying this bike to freeride, as it has 5" of travel. This bike is made to take whatever abuse you can dish out. Whether you choose to set it up as a cc rig, freeride, or recreational dh, you can't go wrong with it's plushness, durability, strength and stoutness. Mine is set-up basically for the latter two and probably weighs in at the 30+ lb mark. For me, I take it to the mountains when I know there is some sweet reward of a downhill after some not too severe climbing. Otherwiswe, I'm on my titanium ht. Surprisingly, it does climb pretty well, but pushes even worse when the going gets tough. My only compaint so far is, it already has a pretty slack ht angle (69), but with a long travel fork (mine is 5") it slackens it even more (probably to like 67.5 or 68).

none - first bike of this type.

[Mar 06, 2000]
Ed Jackson
Downhiller

Strength:

EXTREMELY plush rear end travel (5")
Improved reinforced gussets on 1999 version.
Lower yoke pivot axle rides on 32 German needle bearings.
Large pivots and bearings which require minimal servicing.
Easton Elite 7005 tubing. Seat stay pivots allowing riding geometary to be changed.
Fox's exellent Vanilla R constant rate coil over, with rebound adjuster shock.. SUPER PLUSH...

A little heavy, but rather heavy and strong than light and weak..Very hard to get hold of.. If you've got one your very lucky and even luckier if its painted official team colours like myne...

The bottom line is that if you havent tried the FXT LT3 you havent lived, go out and trie one today wether it be a brand spankin new one or just an old edition your friends got in the back of is garage.
"It doesnt belong in the back of your garage by the way"
Ive been all over the place on myne since I got it and its soaked up everything I've put in its way. It loves the big drops but is equally capable of soaking the little bumps up to...... At this price the competition can't even come close..... An Extreme machine well ahead of its time....
My bikes not got the best componentry but it rocks the competition, and i go out on it every chance I get.... Wether you have a really expensive bike or not Go out and enjoy all the obsticles nature and man can through at you on your own bike which to you will be the best bike you've ever had but not the best you could have.....

Aeon Isis
99 trek VRX 300

[Nov 15, 1999]
Michael
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

Plush but not flexy
Strong
5 travel (rear)
Well built

Somewhat heavy
Tough to find

This frame is a bit heavy for cross country, although not bad for trail riding (as built, it weighs about 27-3/4# -- switching to lighter wheels and fork would bring it into the 26's.) On the other hand, I weigh over 200# -- I'm not worried about breaking the bike.The previous model (1998 and prior years) were more flexy and less strong.This bike is great! It's responsive and plush. The suspension is very active, yet doesn't biopace. After borrowing and/or test driving several different bikes, this one worked the best for me.

GT XCR-2000
Marin Rift Zone
Marin Wolf Creek

[Sep 02, 1999]
Joel

Strength:

-very affordable price
-full easton main triangle
-needle bearing main pivots
-super stiff and built to last
-adjustable seat tower +or- 3 degrees
-perfect travel of 5 inches of travel
-disc brake tabs
-replaceable drop out
-beefy head tube braces

-a bit on the heavy side, frame weighs in at just under 8 pounds
- can't lower the seat below the seat post tower, it will hit on the suspension

This bike is super plush! The five inches of travel is amazing and feels like a lot more when ridden. The bearings are super smooth in the likage, making for a squeak free ride! A little bit heavy, but rather that and be strong than light and weaker. It corners well, bites hard and is very stable at speed, Lots of fun as a play bike or reacreational downhill rig. Mine was extremely hard to get ahold of, I work at a shop in canada and the distributor ran out of them and I got the first one that came into canada about the last week of august. Didn't think it would ever get here, but was well worth the wait! Definately worth the money!

-devinci contact
-kona stab delux
-mongoose nx 9,7

[May 13, 1999]
darwin

Strength:

All of the strengths mentioned above. Also, for a dually the old FXT handled respectably in very tight situations and did a damn good job while doing trials.

There are not any frames in stock in Canada at this time.

I am trying to get ahold of the new FXT frame to replace my old one so if anyone has any info e-mail me. The old frame was very decent but the new one is a hell of a lot stiffer in the r triangle/bb area

KHS FXT TEAM (97)