Jamis Komodo Frameset

Totally flickable and absolutely air-worthy,The Jamis Komodo II frame should be atTheTop of your list if youre building a dirt jumper. With input from pro rider Jordie Lunn,The Komodo has short chainstays and a smaller/lighter seatstay, dropouts, and chainstay yoke assembly--all inThe name of "flickability." 7005Triple gauge aluminumTubes 1.5" headTube 31.6mm seatTube 73mm bottom  bracket shell ISCG 05 Gusseted main frame Heavy duty stays RifledTopTube Replaceable derailleur han

Fernando   [Feb 19, 2013]
Strength:

flat black color is awesome and the welds seem to be strong.

haven't found any yet

Went to a Jenson parking lot sale back in 04 and found this hardtail frame for $150 so I bought it and
put it together with components I had leftover from upgrading my f/s bike. Most riding is done in the trails
with an occasional big drop and the bike handles it very well.

Ben   Cross Country Rider [Oct 19, 2003]
Strength:

VERY lightweight (3.5 lbs), very stiff, great weld quality, replacable rear deraileur hanger, easton aluminum tubing through and through (always a +), sturdy rear triangle, and candy apple green color (they call it 'beetle' green for some reason)

rear deraileur looks a bit flimsy...errrrrrr im thinkin here....

This is the first part i bought for a project bike im working on still. This frame is great for people who want a light, strong, and relativly cheap frame. Don't be fooled by the cost though, this is a very good frame. If you are interested in anything from XC to dirtjumping/freeride, this bike is pretty good. It's built more for the light stuff though, so for all of you jackass wannabees out there, dont try running this one off a cliff. That would just be stupid...

Matt   Cross Country Rider [Apr 02, 2003]
Strength:

light, stiff hardtail, perfect size for me(21.5"), Awesome color!, comfortable geometry

haven't found any yet

I wanted to build the perfect hardtail bike for myself, light enough for XC, and tough enough to handle anything that I could throw at it. I do a lot of city hucking at night as I am currently going to college in Pitts. and I like to do some jumping, and downhilling when I can, as well as blast through singletrack, or do some winding technical XC. I must say that this is the best bike I have ever owned. It is tough as nails. My friends think I am nuts for downhilling on an XC hardtail, but Jamis has all the angles right to make a bike I feel comfortable doing anythng on, I think it will be a long time before I bust this frame, and when it comes time to retire it you can bet I will be going after another Jamis.

Similar Products Used: Diamondback Apex, Topanga comp, GT avalanche 2.0, Jamis Durango
db   Weekend Warrior [Jun 19, 2001]
Strength:

light, strong, and looks

very nice handling frame, responsive, qick. the bike does not feel to rigid, a nice cmfortable ride on long trips. it does take the abuse from a 220lbs rider and still no strange noises associated with alluminum frames.

Similar Products Used: haro, mongoose
Tom   racer [Jul 18, 1998]

just got it. likes to climb. rides very nice. really stiff. suggest a suspension post with this one. hardly any flex in stays with xtr brakes. when i got it the bb threads were a bit mashed. nothing terrible though. bet mine was the only one in the whole bunch with this problem. eventually threaded in. over all the bike has good geometry. good finish.. ball burnished. 3.75 pounds. not too shabby. alternative frame would be a khs alite 4000. that's a nice bike. 3.5 pounds and it HAS a nice reinforced gusset at the head tube and the downtube.

Mike   Cross Country Rider [Jul 23, 2003]
Strength:

Lightweight yet still a tough XC frame. Looks sinister with the black paint and red striping. 'Coke bottle' curve chainstays allow fat tires.

Replaceable derailluer hanger is flimsy.

I bought this year 2000 frame used and built it up. I've only been seriously into mountain biking for about a year and a half and although I've improved I still have my sloppy moments. This bike has taken all the beating I've dished out except for the derailluer hanger. I have replaced it twice so far. I would recommend a chainstay protector as there is a fair amount of chain slap especially when descending long sets of stairs. The frame looks fairly beefy yet it is still light. When I weighed the bike it was just over 25 lbs and that was with a fair amount of mud on it. And fatties will definelty fit on this bike as my new rear tire is a 2.35 IRC Kujo. (Yes I know this is a downhill tire but I have a thing for fat tires).

As far as sizing goes, I am 5'10" and I ride the 19". However with the way the 19 fits me I think I could also ride a 17" comfortably.

Similar Products Used: '02 Jamis Durango
SirRobin   Cross Country Rider [May 02, 2002]
Strength:

value-this thing is monogrammed easton program elite in the front!
weight
strength
versitile geometery

01 model beetle green--love it or hate it color (I love it)
welding is not "high end"
tubes can ding easily

wonderful compromise in geometry, does everything well, do not mount less than 80mm travel fork or sacrifice some handling. likes to climb, dart, sprint, coast. seems durable enough. certainly light enough. I like the rear dropouts with disk brake mounting and rim brake bosses!Do not even consider this frame without a shock post! the RS ATB post in 26.8 is a perfect match (coincidentally this is the one Jamis provides on factory builds)

Similar Products Used: Trek, Gary fischer, Giant, Kona, GT
Ralph   Cross Country Rider [May 06, 2002]
Strength:

Light yet sturdy, Easton Elite tubing, relaxed geometry, stiff, really nice welds, canti and disc mounts, very nice dropouts, loud green color

Loud green color

OK, I have a bunch of parts leftover so I go into Supergo to look at one of those Weyless frames to hang the parts on. Those frames look kinda cheesy, then I see these Komodo frames and they are beautiful - looks like really nice workmanship. Weight is as advertised at 3.6 lb. A good deal at $249, plus the bright green looks cool with my bright red SXr fork. I get it out on the trail and I tell you, this spare parts bike is a bulletproof and fun hardtail. Handling with an 80mm fork is nice and mellow on singletrack, you don't have to stay on top of it, yet I feel very confident in all situations. Seems to go where I point it, the rear end also tracks very well. Descends/climbs equally well. It is very stiff, I put a Thudbuster on it and it's a great combo. Very cool thrasher hardtail that works well and should last a while. Highly recommended.

Denis Volkov   Weekend Warrior [Jul 09, 2002]
Strength:

Price
Light
Color

Color

This was my first experiment in building a bike. I had a 2000 GT agressor, that was too big for me (18"), so I bought a 14" Komodo frame. This frame is light and great for type of riding I do: dirt roads, trails, some jumps. The bike feels stable and maneuverable.
I will however get a thudbuster seatpost eventually. And switch to disc brakes.