Intense 2001 Tracer Frameset

Cantilever or Disc Brake Ready
Replaceable Derailluer Hanger

[Jul 14, 2003]
Darin Chester

Strength:

Plush, responsive, climbs excellent, design, warranty, adjustment friendly.

Derailleur slaps frame and is noisy, not portage friendly, decals are ugly, makes it tough to mount on hitch rack due to top tube design.

The weaknesses are moot, after researching every other frame in it's category/price range, this was the obvious choice. Intense created a standard of how XC full suspension frames will be made (Blur, Spider). They have been designing frames for other makers for a while, which tells you that the industry standard will be built around them.

The Tracer is light, nimble, and is an excellent climber. With the lock out on the Fox RC Float climbing becomes even easier. Depending on your rider compartment setup, you can adjust the geometry to best fit you. I haven't messed with it but it is there if you need it.

The magazines even said the Tracer is the best XC frame. Now that the Blur and Spyder are out, it makes the Tracer stand out as the one that started the new era of frame design. C'dale wasn't innovative, they just dabbled too much and never got it right. Intense got it right the first time.

Super V

[Nov 27, 2001]
Dirt Surfer

Strength:

Strong and smooth. Looks great and welds are like butter. No sweaks or creaks. stiff up front and in the back. feels like every ounce of power goes to the back wheel with or without using the lockout

rear derailer slap. I glued a piece of rubber on the frame and now I don't hear anything.

Awesome trail bike. Climbs good, downhilling is awesome. makes you want to jump and fly. saved my butt many times. I now look for things to ride over instead of trying to avoid them. corners like on rails. I let a "friend" borrow it over the weekend to try it out and he won't give it back!

GT, Diamond back, K2, FSR

[Oct 30, 2001]
Thomas DeLaney

Strength:

Bombproof design and finish (gray anodized)!
Incredible craftsmanship!
Too many to name 'em all here!
Great cable routing.
Came with 2002 Fox Float RL! Sweet!
Nice headtube badge!

Stickers are pretty weak. For an expensive frame, you'd expect better stickers, but then, some people would just as well take 'em off. So, it's not that big of a deal.
Accompanying manual could've been a little better.

I can't believe the whiney reviews people are submitting for this frame -- "it's too heavy" or "not enough rear travel" or "only one water bottle mount", etc. ad nauseum. PAAALEEEEASE people. You want light? Shut up and buy a hardtail! You want more rear suspension? Shut up and buy the Uzzi SL! You want more water? Shut up and buy a CamelBak! BB too high? Take up BMX'ing! Bottom line: This is the best built frame in its category for what this bike was designed to do: RIDE! I race mine and at 25lbs, it's light enough! Straight up people, if you want the best trailbike on the planet, this is it! Pictures in magazines or on the web DO NOT COMPARE with seeing this thing up close and in person. It is that awesome!! 5 chilis across the board, because you get what you pay for. Face it, you can't buy a Ferrari for the price of Yugo, and neither can you buy a Tracer for the price of a Huffy!

FSR
Moho CXS

[Feb 16, 2004]
Carlos

Strength:

Proven FSR design, articulated with sealed bearings. Lightweight yet strong.

Rear derailleur slaps frame.

I resolved the rear derailleur problem by padding the contact area with some rubber -- so am not taking off any points for that.

I have experienced better climbing ability with the Intense Tracer than with my trusty old hardtail. The Tracer semms very forgiving, and gives me a feeling of control, even in the most technical climbs. Going downhill is where the big advantage becomes clear -- the Tracer can negotiate a lot of stuff -- and it makes it look easy. The bike is quiet and lets me focus on the important stuff.

What separates the Tracer from other full suspension bikes is the execution of a proven design. The sealed bearing and super strong costruction execute the FSR design flawlessly. Add the best components, and you will end up with a serious XC machine that will impress you with its performance for many years.

CAAD2 hardtail.

[Jul 17, 2002]
Tristan Beck

Strength:

This bike is great. It is way stiffer than my Trek fuel. I don't know why I waited so long to upgrade. I really like the way it feels stable while flying through rock gardens. Also it climbes great. I am able to clean tech climbes that I would have never been able to on my other bikes.

None to speak of!

The bike makes me a better rider. I feel more stable which makes me go faster. The angles make it possible for me to climb stuff I couldn't before. I would recommend this bike to anyone. Also, a plug for BeyondBikes.com, these guys know what there are doing. They helped me select the parts that really work well with the frame. Bonus: I got to watch my frame be built on there live shop cam. Check it out!

01 Trek Fuel, 00 Santa Cruz Super Lite, 00 Giant XTC

[Jul 18, 2002]
Nick

Strength:

frame looks hot even if it isn't the most professional craftsmanship and sticker placement. Eats up most everything you through at it. Addictive ride you will want to keep going even when your exhausted.

Grey Anno paint scratches of easily, Decals were put on like the guy was blind, came with a nice big scratch on the bb bracket area, replace two bushings on the fox shock it is very annoying creaking sound that won't go away. Now I am trying greasing the bushings still they creak. Very annoying

Rides great and climbs extremely well.
Once I get the kinks out of the bike I think I will be very please.
I don't think I should experience the problems I am having with the bike considering the amount of $$$ that I spent.
this bike offers incredible performance and will leave you wanting more. I think for the $ they should spend a little more effort on the little things Paint-Decals. In terms of ride their is no other

foes, rocky

[Nov 10, 2002]
Eric

Strength:

Bottom Bracket, No flex due to square tubing, Overall strong frame.

Derailleur hanger is made out of wax. I have broken 7. I zip tied a rubber tube patch around my r. derailleur to kill the noise of the clanking. Decals need to be clear coated. Lower pivot bearings seize up causing torsion on the pivot bolt, causing it to snap, Overall quality of bearings are poor. Cable routing is ok if you have disk. And about the fox air shock, lock it out and attach it to your road bike. Buy the manitou.

The frame is what Im rating and it is good maybe evan really good. Just not in New England. As I race against many pros and semi pros in EFTA, I see them riding Fuels and bikes equivalent to that. The tracer could be more bulletproof and thats a fact. With the frame design so strong it could probably shave some frame weight and still hold its ground.

[Dec 13, 2001]
Pete
Downhiller

Strength:

Design and build quality second to none and outstanding customer support.

Didn't come with naked Hooters girl

I'm actually reviewing the Haro Werx XCS, which is a beefed up Tracer. The bike rides like no other. I was comfortable on it from the first ride. It has allowed me to elevate my technical skills and speed. I have broken many swing arm bolts and Intense keeps sending them. I race the thing in DH and DS and do some freeriding. Other than the hardware it's holding up to my 200# fat Richie Schley wannabe ass. When it rains out I go in the garage and just look at it. My wife is jealous of Blue Thunder. It's just a dam good looking bike. I'm purchasing an Uzzi SLX based on the excellent customer support I've recieved and the quality of Intense frames.

C-dale Stupid-V

[Dec 23, 2001]
Daniel

Strength:

Very light. This bike loves to climb & scampers uphill. Extremely construction. Smooth and sure-footed on decents. High clearance means you'll smack into fewer obstacles and can thus maintain rhythm, keep riding longer. Comfortable for very long cross-country rides.

This bike has no weaknesses, but I do. It took me several rides to get used to the high bottom bracket and feather weight - I kept on falling while climbing (couldn't figure out how far back / how far forward to put my weight). That passed after about 4 rides.

I'm 6'2", about 205 lbs, 44 years old, not the most gifted rider out there anc certainly not a racer. I pound on my bikes fairly hard (OK, I'm an oaf), ride 2 - 6 times per week and prefer longer rides. My friends look at me like I'm nuts when they hear what I spent on this thing - until we hit the trail. Then they turn green with envy. This bike is making me look like I'm climbing better, decending with more confidence (and faster), and getting less tired in the process. Supergo in Santa Monica saved me about $1,200 off what I would have paid for this setup in Santa Barbara. It is expensive, but what's money for, anyway? What are you going to do, buy furniture? Clothes? Please. Buying the Intense Tracer (and paying to set it up with top-quality components) is worth every penny. Great bike! Start saving!

Trek Fuel 90, Specialized S-Works M5, Santa Cruz Superlight

[Nov 12, 2002]
Paul DeCamp

Strength:

Adjustability

Weak rear derailer hanger, swingarm pivot (next to bottom braket) bolt wear (yes the bolt) even though bearing is OK hmmmm a litle too much stress perhaps?

This is my second frame - the first was welded together incorrectly - the frame was misaligned (some may remember my last review here). They replaced it no questions. This one is slightly misaligned but within reasonable limits. I have grown to like this bike a lot. I set it up with a steep head angle and short wheelbase. I have not had any shifting problems others have complained about with this setup. In summary - I recommend you take a look at this one.

lots of different bikes