Habanero Ti MTB Frame Frameset

Habanero Ti MTB Frame Frameset

Habanero Ti MTB Frame

[Sep 21, 2000]
Thomas

Strength:

Hand-brushed Titanium for 700 bucks!
Three and a half pound frame.
Sweet ride!

Some complain about the decals peeling off, I've had no problems. My frame is set up for disk brakes which I never plan to use so there are extra cable guides for disc cables.

You can't beat the price. It's a ti frame for $700! I was a little worried about buying a frame unseen. MTBR reviews seemed favorable but it was still unsettling. Then I discovered Sheldon Brown's website on single-speeds, hard-to-find parts etc. He sells a Habanero touring bike. He was happy to respond to my email and confirmed the quality of the frame.
Airborne sells a similar frame for the same price (also made in China). However I wasn't excited about the "wishbone" seat stays.
Litespeed advocates will babble on about the inferior quality of Chinese titanium. If the Chinese aerospace industry can produce and manipulate ti with enough quality to launch rockets I think they can handle a bicycle frame! Riders who say they can feel the difference simply need an ego boost.
Oh yea..the ride....so smooth. It's lighter and stiffer than my trust old steel, climbs brilliantly, and tracks beautifully (this may be due more to the atom bomb)!
I highly recommend it. I saving or a road frame now!
Five steamers!

multiple steel hardtails

[May 30, 2001]
John Strupp

Strength:

I actually bought a road frame, but there is no place to put a review at roadbike review on the frame. I have to say it is light and compliant to the road and is responsive when climbing. I mated it with the EMS Pro fork.

I haven't found any.

I have to say the Habanero Team Issue road bike is the freshed ride I have been on. The Campagnolo 10 speed system is a dream. On the roads in Kansas and Oklahoma, I am the only limiting factor. The ride is smooth and compliant and is responsive when climbing. My old 531 is a great road touring frame, but this bike is sweet. The look of the brushed titanium is great and the decals are well placed. I asked Brian in New York about the bike before I went ahead, and he steered me right. The feel is light when you want it to be, and in total control at the same time. For the non-roadies that want to taste the magic, I can only say try it!!!

The only road bike I own is a hand built Reynolds 531 built by a German meister in 1973.

[Apr 02, 2001]
John Gunterman

Strength:

This was a custom built frame. we took everything I liked from every bike I've owned, and left out everything I hated, tweaked the geometry a bit and I have a perfect bike fit precisely to/for me.

None that I can think of.

I actually asked for my frame without any stickers.

friggin awesome!!!!!

[Sep 08, 2000]
Brian

Strength:

Price, Looks, Durability,

No Disc Brake mounts!!

This is a follow up review, I've had the bike for 3 or more years now and still love it. In fact I bought a Ti road bike because I liked the ride so much!!! It is a very good all around bike with stable characteristics. I would change a degree here and there if I had a choice but it really isn't necessary. This bike has travelled all over North America with me; I ride all over the North-East all the time and I take my bike on many trips including the North Shore, this bike has never let me down! I have never walked back from a ride (good parts help), but I am still no light weight (205-210lbs) and haven't broken anything.

The bike is scratched (the stickers are completely intact), well used, well maintained and the only thing I wish for is a soft-tail (I'm getting older).

If you're at all in the market for a good hard-tail - BUY this bike !! You will never regret it.

[Aug 20, 2000]
Kevin Nordine

Well the stickers do come off easy, but since the bike isn't clear coated you kind of have to expect it.

Well this is a follow up. And I still love it! I have really enjoyed it so fare and have had a few good crashes and the bike is not even go a scratch. The last crash resulted in 4 stitches in my knee and several more cuts and scrapes and bruses but the bike is just fine. I like the way the bike handles and would tell anyone it is well worth the money. "Get one!!"

[Aug 16, 2000]
Glenn Davis

Strength:

Relatively light, very comfortable, even over babyheads and
it was a great price.

Decals could be sturdier and it needs to be buffed regularly

I am completely satisfied with this bike and would recommend
it to anyone.

Litespeed Ochcee

[Oct 26, 1999]
Steve M.
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

frame geometry
stiff frame
price
looks

stickers -no big deal

I bought this bike secondhand from a fellow bike shop employee. This was the first Ti bike I ever rode and I was immediately amazed by the vibration dampening characteristics of Ti. The Habby is a very quick accelerator because of the stiff rear end and makes seated climbs more fluid. I use this bike mostly for urban riding, however, I am selling my full suspension Specialized Fsr-xc(piece of garbage) in order to turn this bike into a full-time trail machine. The complexities of full suspension and the added weight are making this transition happen. I will outfit my Habby with a Zokes A-bomb and a high quality susp. seatpost and let 'er rippppppp. This is all the suspension you really need for fast aggressive trail riding. I weigh 205 loaded and this frame doesn't flex (that I can discernably notice), handles like it is telepathically connected to your brain and most importantly it's designed in a way that takes advantage of the dampening benefits of Ti. Forget Aluminum, forget steel, forget Scandium, TITANIUM IS FOR REAL. I wish I could give this frame 10 smokin' Habanero's but have to settle for 5. Get this frame today, you won't regret it.

[Jul 01, 1999]
Mike
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

light strong and cheap, great geometry for all conditions

excellent value

stumpjumper, MB-1, KHS full susp. Raleigh something

[Jun 02, 1999]
Erik
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

Affordable, stiff, good looks, fairly light.

None really...

Great frame at a very affordable price. Beatiful brushed titanium finish, excellent welds. Emphasis is on frame stiffness rather than stupid-light weight, so frames are stiff laterally , but weigh a few oz. more than the high-end ti bikes (but compare the prices...). Climbs like a mouintain goat, inspires confidence on steep and rocky descents.
Dream bike for those of us without unlimited funds!

[Jun 06, 1998]
Chris Hughes
cross-country rider

Just got my 18.5 MTB. Right out of the box it is impressive. A real nice looking bike. I doesn't have some of the finer touches of the more expensive Ti bikes, but the dollar/value level must put it on the top of the heap. I've only done one 20.5 mile ride on it, but it is noticeably different and better then the Trek 7000 I replaced with it. First, it's quiet, that may sound strange but it's the first thing I noticed about riding this bike. I'm not sure that's the best way to discribe the feel, but it felt stealthy on the trail. It climbs way better the the Trek and handles better on a techincal climb. It will turn much tighter then the Trek which was the same size. Lastly it's much kinder on my 45 year old body then the aluminum Trek was. The roots and rocks here in New England can really beat you up, but the Ti frame really does help. Even without butted tubes and taper stays I could feel the difference after 20+ miles. It's well worth the money, I couldn't be happier with it. I'll do another 20+ miles sunday morning I can't wait to show this thing off.
Only problem was slow delivery on the 18.5 frame. I had to wait a month to get the bike, but this is the season for bike purchases. Five stars for the bike four for the service.