GT RTS Frame Frameset

RTS-1 Frame

yfrnaks   All Mountain Rider [Oct 05, 2014]
Strength:

Ride quality:
Very good climbing considering there is no lock out feature. The RTS handles very well in loose/technical climbs. The suspension design is ingenious.

Descending in any 2014 XC style terrain and Super D.

Servicing
Rear suspension pivots require little maintenance; inspect and grease once a month for a squeek free ride.
Replacement parts are available through aftermarket.

Not for large >2 foot drops. I suspect given the front and rear travel (2.5" rear with 4" up front).
Not recommended as a park bike.
Rear triangle can get 'flexy' during hard sprints.

The GT RTS at this age in 2014 will make a great Super D bike where you may enjoy lapping up complements for this now rare and lauded mountain bike. In fact, I used the 1996 GT RTS-3 bike and actually won several championship XC and Super D races this year around Washington State which serves to show that skill and conditioning may help you overcome with bikes weight, wheel size and 'handling'.

The RTS-3 with 2.5" of rear wheel travel might make you think either the rear suspension is sort of stiff or that you're used to too much travel from riding other bikes and this feels like a soft tail bike but to not be mistaken for a Proflex sort of ride. I'm 5' 7" riding an 18" frame with a 110" stem and yet the cockpit feels sort of tight. A stem half the length makes the bike handle better but I'd only recommend this on rides where you plan on doing some jumps on the trails vs. high three foot drops.

What is impressive about the bike is that I own a 2000 Schwinn Rocket 88 and by far, the GT RTS designed in the early 90s generally handles better overall. But for those that have ridden Specialized FSR designs or the GT LTS or iDrive designs including the new AOS, may find this RTS 'okay' or a pile of junk.

For those of you looking for an up front inexpensive bike, this is a marvelous choice. BETD (http://www.mountainbikecomponents.co.uk) and Risse Racing (www.risseracing.com) make replacement rear suspension parts for this bike. Or, dismantle the rear original Noleen coil-over and for $100 + shipping costs and you will get a rebuilt rear shock. Even if your rear suspension body is toast, Noleen has been known to replace the entire rear shock body at no additional cost to you (besides the $100 you spent).

Overall, this bike falls into the "oldie but a goodie" category as you may hate the bike for certain handling 'quirks' about it but after riding other dual suspension bikes, may find it to be a great ride!

Similar Products Used: 1996 GT LTS-1
2000 Schwinn Rockett 88
1999 Univega DS 950
2014 GT Sensor 9R Comp
Steve in PA   [Jun 24, 2013]
Strength:

I gave a high value rating as I picked up my '96 RTS2 for 700 bucks in '98 while living out in cali. The frameset is bulletproof, and I have had not problems with the rear suspension. It is an XC specific bike, but will downhill if you are courageous. wish there was a source for MCU elastomers as most of my blue 'firm' bumpers have become powder. Trying some elastomers from an aftermarket source, we'll see how things go.

It appears that if I break anything substantial (other than available components), I will have to find an aluminum fabricator which might mean a new bike.

All in all, this bike from GT (prior to being bought) is rock solid, and it's weight isn't a problem, as another poster said: Dieting is much cheaper than buying esoteric components to shave a tenth of a pound of two.

Richie   [Sep 06, 2012]
Strength:

I have a GT RTS for sale. Nothing wrong with the frame, just had it serviced and a new bottom bracket on as I couldn't replace the old pace one. A few niggles with gears and the back wheel but other than that still a great bike. It's chrome with black rear suspension and yellow and white original decalls. £150 if anyone's interested. E-mail muzzarm@yahoo.co.uk

None, frame is sublime!!!;)

Pick up a bargain!!!

nailr65   All Mountain Rider [Feb 10, 2012]
Strength:

Super reliable, love its response in the trails

All pivots specifically the hat washers or bushings if you will on at the rear suspension. Replaced them twice. At this point impossible to find replacement parts. May need to have them made.

Love this bike from the first time I saw it. The design was simple yet effective. I sold my truck back in 1994 to buy it. When I'm riding it feels like we are one. I have been riding it for 17+ years and I have been all over the country with it. I am writing this review in order to source parts. Is there anyone out there or anyone you know who may have parts for the rear suspension please help keep this awesome, awesome bike on the trails. Thanks Dave from upstate New York email: (ridegtrts2@aol.com)

cannetta   Cross Country Rider [May 25, 2011]
Strength:

Someone stole my GT RTS-2. Can anyone help on how to get it back?! Special gift from my dad before he died. Plus, I loved, loved riding this bike. I cried all day yesterday. Doubt I'll find the same one to replace it

Willing to buy your GT RTS-2 bike with the original parts and if it's not overly used or in pristine condition.

florel   Cross Country Rider [May 10, 2011]
Strength:

strong sturdy bike, smooth handling ,good climber,classic look and ride feel. cannot be beat i tried riding several newer bikes none feels and ride this old classic.
my bike is bare alum no paint and you can see the awesome welding job.

more on the heavy side, but the looks sure makes up for it.

great awesome bike, i would keep riding this baby and upgrade the components when needed. happy trails ! keep on riding......

Similar Products Used: cannondale/ santa cruz/ giant/
Jonathon Edwards   Weekend Warrior [Oct 06, 2005]
Strength:

Great bike! This bike is in mint condition still after 10 years of me riding my herat out. I have only replaced the stickers and have gotten the front and rear shock serviced.

Non

The best bike of it its time an still kicking A**!

Similar Products Used: Non
paul   Weekend Warrior [Dec 16, 2001]
Strength:

semi-active suspension locks out under pedaling force eliminating need for lockout shock. great handling

non so far

since the demise of noleen I had replaced the rear shock with a risse genesisse and set this bike up as my light weight xc bike and used the lts as my abuse bike. risse makes 3 shocks that fit the rts. the genny is air pressured
with no external damping adjustments. when you order a shock from them tell them your weight and they custom damp each shock. the air shock mates well with this design, set your air pressure so you have little or no sag. as xc bikes have gone full circle from short travel to long travel and back again,(trek fuel, fisher sugar ect.) now this bike is up to date again. if you have one collecting dust as i did because of the shock call risse and bring it back to life. englund air cartridges mate very well with the risse in the back. by the way i'm a 6'2" clydesdale at about 250 and have had no problems with either the risse or the england air shocks. overall a fine handling bike. also if you need to replace the pivot bearings take them to an industrial bearing supply house and they can get suitable replacements

Similar Products Used: gt lts, I-drive, crack n fail stupid v, trek i dont know y
Joe T.   weekend warrior [May 15, 1996]

If your looking for a bike thats reliable look no further. I had my bike for 31/2 years. This bike preety muck can do anything. From cross-country to downhill to even ramp jumping. Hook this baby up with XT parts and magura brakes and you got a bike that can go anywhere. The weight is a problem though, but if your like me it's how you ride counts. 2 inches of rear travel may not be much but a bike thats last as long as mine is worth much more.

Dylan Menes   cross-country rider [Jan 23, 1997]

The RTS isn't the lightest or plushest, nor does it have a lot of travel, but for rocky, gnarly, fast and technical cross country I have yet to ride anything better! I find it outclimbs my old zaskar and pretty much any other hardtail I'v ridden, particularly in loose or pumicicy conditions. It's super stable, the downside of which is that you have to muscle through tight turns, this is my only complaint.The solid feeling it gives has greatly improved my courage at speed.