Giant 2001 XTC NRS AIR Frame Set Frameset

2001 XTC NRS AIR Frame Set

L.K. Foster   Cross Country Rider [Dec 17, 2001]
Strength:

No Bob
Adjustable rear suspension travel (3" or 3-3/4").
More sealed rear pivot bushing than the 2000 frames.
Cantilever bosses on the rear triangle that the 2000 frame doesn't have.
No ugly NRS Air paint scheme.
No cables or hoses on the top of the top tube.

Not as plush as the other dualies.
Shim needed (supplied) if you run a 27.2mm seatpost.
Cables and hoses on the bottom of the top tube makes trunk racks a question.

This is a review for the 2001 XtC Team frameset. Differences are two rear travel choices, Cu92 alloy instead of ALUXX frame material (my Taiwanese bike shop owner doesn't like the ALUXX because "it's made in Taiwan"), and a much nicer paint job than the 2001 NRS Air. Check out the Giant UK webpage for info on the frameset and better technical manual that I got with the frame.

Rear travel feels less plush than my old/wife's new 2000 XtC Team frame, more compression and less rebound damping. I'm a pretty tame XC rider and have so far only been able to use about half of the 3-3/4" travel in position 2, even less in position 1 (3").

I almost waited for a 2002 frame with the revised rear triangle that eliminates deraileur slap, but decided not to after I found that I tune the sound out anyway.

No problems yet with dented frame tubes, though I have seen it on one guys bike (handlebar hit the top tube in a involuntary dismount).

Similar Products Used: 1998 Specialized FSR Comp
2000 Giant XtC Team
2000 Giant MCM Team
Alex Langley   [Jul 17, 2002]
Strength:

Great for xc downhill riding.
Very nimble around corners.
Sexy paint job.

Compared to my hardtail, I feel that the full suspension loses a lot of power hammering up steep hills.

SID rear shock seems to slowly leak air. (needs to be checked before each ride)

Fantastic frame for the value. I bought the frame at cost through the lbs I work for, but even at the retail cost it is still a steal.

Basically I trashed my cheapo ATX 890 frame trying to bunny hop over a traffic calming island. There were dents in the top tube and the race face BB became permanently sealed. I saw the frame in the shop along with the XTR NRS1, but wanted the stealth look so I grabbed the XTR Air.

I was reluctant to buy a FS bike because I have been a diehard hardtail fanboy for years. Increasingly, though, I have had a lot of lower back pain in the races. With the new FS frameset, these pains have been virtually eliminated.

The Sid rear shock works like a champ. The rebound is silky smooth and very predictable. The frame is stiff, yet lightweight (relatively speaking). I love the geometry, it suits my long body perfectly.

All in all, I am very happy with my new XTR AIR frame.

Similar Products Used: Giant ATX 890 frame (hardtail)
Jason   Racer [Apr 27, 2003]
Strength:

no bob, stiff, flys

its a giant their are none

this bike /frame cannot be beat. i rode a feul 90 disc for a year and it was medioker(lots of bob) and when i saw this bike i had to have it. i've beaten it to the ground and it just keepes on tikin. my advice BUY 1. the price is in cdn$

Similar Products Used: none this is one of a kind
Olaf   Cross Country Rider [Aug 06, 2002]
Strength:

Light, no bob, stiff, anodisied black frame.

SID SL. Very thin frame.

This bike is made for Marathon-Racing.
It absorbes most of the shocks but no energy. The NRS-System definetly works. If we do OnRoad-Training i still use my MCM Team but on the trail i use the XTC. The frame even doesnt't mind my weight (210lbs) but my SID SL does.
I recommand this frame to all who mind weight and do not look for the most comfortable bike. This bike is made for CC-Racing (not for RF or DH) and that includes that you sometimes have to maintain this bike.

Similar Products Used: Tried different fullies from Specialized to Rotwild.
Ben   Cross Country Rider [Aug 12, 2002]
Strength:

Light. No bob.

Bushing lack durability. Low profile headset. Seatpost shim.

Very efficient frame. No bob but very firm ride even after switching the shock for a Cane Creek AD10 (for better tunability). The bushing durability sucks. The lower bushings require frequent lubing (I use chain lube) to prevent squeaking. The upper pivots are lose and knock on the trail. Low profile headsets suck. They are dependent are frame manufacturing tolerances - way loose in my frame. I currently use the adapters and a Chris King headset. Much better but the adapters do creak a little when stressed. The seatpost shim (not my Thomson post!!) creaks a little also. When I buy a new frame, it won't be another NRS.