Giant 2001 XTC NRS 1 Frame Set Frameset

2001 XTC NRS 1 Frame Set

Jay T   Cross Country Rider [Dec 10, 2001]
Strength:

Most good looking suspension design ever. Very stiff and climbs well like a hard tail. Does not bob even if you're climbing standing up if suspension is set-up to specifications. Very competitive price. Nice paint job. Integrated AHeadset. Availability of distributor warranty in the Philippines.

Rear suspension needs adjustment after every ride especially is you like dirt jumping. A little heavy.

Good looks, affordability and performance makes this frame an excellent choice. I recommend this to any cross country biker who wanted to have or upgrade to full-suspension that is fast and fun to ride.

Read the manual and follow the set up instructions for optimum performance especially suspension pressure and rebound adjustments. Though I suggest you add 5-10 psi to the recommended pressure.

I havent really tested the strength of the frame to the max because i have been riding only every Sunday since I bought it. Though I like dirt jumping whenever the opportunity is there.

I will post another review later when I cover more tracks especially technical ones. Kung may gusto ka pang malaman sama ka na lang sa trail every Sunday 7:00am at McDonalds Marcos Highway, Marikina.

Similar Products Used: My first mountain bike
John   Cross Country Rider [Feb 06, 2002]
Strength:

Hardtail ride qualities. No bob if set at Giant suggested negative air pressure. Fairly lightweight. Replaceable rear derailer hanger. Good rear shock. Color. Made in Taiwan!!!!

Brake induced lockout. Tube walls are thin (had to to cut down weight), those with bike carriers clamps beware.

This bike climbs like a hardtail with no bobing effect. I used to get lower back pain riding my xtc SE1, not anymore. I go down hills faster with it. Overall a great frame.

Similar Products Used: Schwinn S10, 1998 model.
Alex Tromp   Cross Country Rider [Sep 08, 2001]
Strength:

LIghtweight for a suspension design, great looks, up to date (integrated aheadset, newest shock, proper strengthening)

Matt paint

Very nice indeed. This is about a XtC team frameset. In Europe the models come a little bit different. Fact is that I'm riding the near exact frame as the team is supposed to ride.

The rocker has now got two mountinpositions for the shock, but you only need position 1. Pos. 2 bobs far too much, you need too much pressure to get it working a bit like an NRS. The thing is lighter than the old frame.

The geometry is a bit different too, like a little shorter top tube. It handles absolutely beautiful. Not expensive for a frame with these traits.

Similar Products Used: Giant XtC DS 3 2000 (Dutch edition)
Don   Racer [Sep 12, 2001]
Strength:

Excellent suspension design for both trail riding and racing - versatile, excellent handling traits, cartrige bearings at main pivots, climbs very well

Tubes are pretty thin walled in places, though I haven't dented any yet

I actually bought the NSR XTC3 bike and stripped it of all but the Deore shifters, Avid levers, Deore front der, and Diacompe integrated headset (I swear it is as smooth as my King HS). I did this because my LBS gave me a good price on the entire bike, and I used the parts to finish two other bikes which are for sale now. My frame is painted vs the anodized team frame (frame-only), but does include standard brake mounts as well as disc tabs, just as the team frame. Giant is on to something here. This frame is fast, comfortable, and versatile: it climbs very well, accelerates almost as well as my hard/softtails, yet it does this while absorbing trail shock. Traction and control on loose, technical climbs is sweet, and I am much fresher at the end of rides/races than before. The NRS design works. Set up like the manual suggests, the bike can be raced like a hard tail that happens to work like a FS when a bump is encountered. I don't know how it works, but it does. It accelerates like a hard tail, yet soaks up the bumps. When the shock pressure is dropped just a few pounds, the bike is a plush trail/training bike. I don't know what my bike weighs, but it feels light and maneverable. I struggled with stem length and seat set-back at first because my STP was kinda stretched out and I was used to it. I went back to the shorter stock Titec stem and the bike is very neutral handling and confidence inspiring. I have raced this bike 3 times in the sport vet class, and won my first race (technical and extremely rocky)by over 5 minutes, took second in the next (a roadie oriented course that a cross bike could have been used in: the bike was awsome, though I did give up a bit on the long climbs to the Ti hard tails so prevelantly used), and I led my last race by over 5 minutes with 2 miles to go when my rear wheel came apart, dropping me to fifth, no fault of the Giant. I had such an advantage on the decents and through rocky, technical sections that I felt like I was cheating. I have heard some riders say that FS makes them better riders: well I would change this by saying that if you are already a good bike handler and technical rider, you can go faster with the NSR at the same level of control than with a hard/soft tail and remain fresher at the end of the race. What I have noticed is that if I can stay close at the start of the race on the climbs, later, when the other racers start to fade, I am still strong and can open up a comfortable gap around the 1/2 way point. I was sold on the handling, the rear suspension quality, and the use of sealed cartridge bearings at the main pivot points. This is a sweet frameset that can be used as trail bike and a race bike depending on how you set the rear shock pressure. My only regret is that while I am pleasantly surprised with the quality of the cheap Deore shifters, front der., Avid brake levers, and Diacompe headset, the rear end can get a bit bouncy with the cheaper, non-adjustable RS Sid shock on the XTC3 frame. Can't say enough about this design though, it is versatile and race worthy. More travel than the popular crop of short travel XC bikes, and superior climbing traits to boot. While I am happy with my painted frame with the non-adjustable shock (I will try a Fox or Cane Creek later this month), I would recomend the frame-only option to get the rebound damping adjustment and the anodized finish. If only this frame was available with a carbon lefty...
dp

Similar Products Used: Fuel, C-dale Scalpel/Jester/Raven, FSR, Santa Cruz, D-Back, Dean & Trek soft tails, many others
jacques modiano   Weekend Warrior [Nov 17, 2001]
Strength:

it eficiently eliminates pedal bobb while absorbing bumps.
costs half of other efficient full suspension frames (i.e. titus racer x, ellsworth truth)

don't know yet

it gives the rider much more control and thus speed on downhills, rocky terrain and wow! even adds traction on steep, slippery uphills which makes having a full suspension bike way more desirable than a hardtail.
don't get if you're a speed scared brake hugger

Similar Products Used: none. nobody rides or sells full suspension bikes in this town. i couldn't even try this frame before purchasing....was hoping to compare with titus racer x and ellsworth truth
len g   [Nov 28, 2003]
Strength:

-noBOB
-decent components

Lots of flex on chain stay which causes the rear tire to rub. Workaround is to re-dish the wheel

great bike with the exception of the chainstay flex. This is a major design flaw because a pivot was placed too close the center of the chainstay. When torque is applied to the cranks on steep uphills or quick peddle kicks, the back wheel WILL rub.

Similar Products Used: GT
John   Cross Country Rider [Jul 11, 2001]
Strength:

Lightness, rear SID XC

Bottom Bracket seems a bit lower, likely a result of the NRS chainstay design

Awesome. I was a hard tail die hard and was upgraded to this frame. I loved my hardtail(s); I'm obsessed with this frame. It does what it says it should. Climbs really well and descends beautifully. I have a slightly different version in that the there are brake bosses vs. disc only seat stays. This is an awesome frame and very worth the money.

I ride a lot and fairly hard and this frame has endured quite well on the eastern roots, rocks, stumps and so on, while enabling greater speeds with greater control. It is a very tight handling, solid and fast ride. If you are looking for a fs/xc rocket try this frame or at least something with a similar set-up. It's a blast. Your riding enjoyment will achieve a new level. Promise.

Similar Products Used: None -- came from hardtail.
Dean   Downhiller [Aug 12, 2003]
Strength:

Unbelieveable climbing for a full susser; Python tires are superb in loose sand.

Occasional ghost shifting in Granny gear

Love it. I went from a struggling climber to actually enjoying the climbs. The bike is awesome uphill, and downhill it is very chuckable. I'm a large rider (6ft, 102kgs) and this bike seems to make me much lighter. I was initially skeptical, but am floored.

In comparison to my previous brakes (XT Discs), the Hayes are not as powerful; they do work damn well however!

Anyone looking for a bike that will take you across the country, will be fairly comfortable, wil climb with the best of them, and make your downhills massively enjoyable, get the NRS! I was at one stage contemplating going to a hardtail to climb better, but the NRS was a much better option.

Similar Products Used: Marin Shorline Trail, with Marzocchi shocks, bontrager disc wheels, XT discs
mountainbyte   Cross Country Rider [Aug 09, 2004]
Strength:

light, fast

Like others said the flex in the rear end. It can be minimized perieodically by replacing all the suspension bearings in a kit from Giant that costs about $50.00

Bike is fast but tempermental. It needs its second set of bearings and I wore a hole through the rear chainstay riding with backend slop. Do not use any tire bigger than a 2.2, if possible. Back hub always craps out, for some reason. Regardless if its Mavic or Hugi or XT.

Light weight achieved through extra delicate frame. Don't crash this one hard. It is a good race bike for those who want to keep the componentry and moving parts fresh, sharp and shiny. If you like to wear your stuff out before replacing, you need a bike that will last longer.