Giant 2001 XTC AC 1 Frame Set Frameset

Giant 2001 XTC AC 1 Frame Set Frameset

[Feb 26, 2002]
Tom Dibley
Downhiller

Strength:

It's a light frame for what it is. Nicely adjustable. Good cable routing. Lovely paint finish. Can be built up for hard core XC or down hill. Also rides street very well. Also, i've got a 2.7" tire in the rear w/plenty of mud clearance.

The rock shox shock it comes with is quite frankly awefull. Everyone I know who has the same frame and my self have all had to send the shock away to be re-valved and a heavier weight spring put on. After that, it performs fine, but not like a Fox.

I've got a jump bike, a XC bike, a road bike and a commuter. I bought the AC to build up as an Alpine descent bike. I ride hour to two hour long descents every summer, in California and France. It's hard core enough to handle my 14stone weight during big drop offs, hard hits and street riding, yet, with lighter tires and tubes, it pedals really well. People look at me wierdly when they see those massive 8" travel Shivers riding up a hill with relative ease. I'm not using this bike much, in this country, but it will get thouroughly abused.

Specialized FSR Elite, Santa Cruz Heckler and many hardtails.

[Jul 05, 2001]
Chad Duffey

Strength:

Frame Geometry, Suspension, Finish, Adjustability, good cable and brake hose routing, Price & Value

Early production out of spec linkages.
Cannot use dual crown forks if I had a need for them.
Bottom pivot bolt became lose during the first ride.

I have rode the bike on one ride. It is great!! I think that the bike climbs better than my lts did. The extra travel tracks the ground very well. I havent jumped the bike very high, as i am waiting for a heavier rear spring. I will write again after I thrash this bike for a while. Plush, Plush, versitile fun bike!!!! Buy this bike if you ride to have fun and you don't have the bank account to buy three different bikes for different types of riding. I don't think that you should buy this bike if you are only into hucking and dropping of of high places, there are much stronger and heavier bikes that are made for this type of Frame Fatigue Riding.

1999 GT LTS 2000DS

[Mar 19, 2003]
Jeff

Strength:

Tough eEnough for some solid drops (I've done some 6 footers).
Climbs as easily (though maybe not quite as fast) as a hardtail.
Very manoueverable and fast in the corners.

Stock rear hub was terrible, the cassette kept coming loose. Shop replaced it for free with a shimano hub and I got a new wheel out of it after 3 months.
S-shaped seat tube makes for difficulty changing seat height. Resolved with a telescopic seatpost, now I get a great range of height.

After a short break in period (eliminating squeaks and some loose bits) this bike has worked flawlessly for 2 tough seasons of long climbs and pounding decents.

Miyata and Nuke proof hardtails

[Sep 13, 2003]
Matt K.

Strength:

Terrific handling, stability, geometry. Manitou Swinger 4-Way Coil is OUTSTANDING for '03.

DERAILLEUR HANGER!!!!!!! How many times can this thing break!!! The rear shock bolts (both) have broken numerous times.

The '02 17" has no top tube/seat tube gusset so the frame broke at that junction. Giant had a new '03 frame at the shop for me over the weekend (thanks, guys). Top tube is burlier so I don't expect to break another. The shock bolts are the same so I'm sure they'll break soon. I drilled out the holes and intalled larger ones on the '02 frame and that worked well - so I'm sure I'll be doing that for the '03, as well.
--Giant, make a hanger out of QUALITY f*@#ing material, not that cheap a$$ crap - AND, larger, stronger rear shock bolts would help.
Other than the shock bolts and derailleur hanger, this bike is great. Very responsive and handles very well. The '02 shiver is a little twisty, but I rather like it. Terrific 'free-rider' and all around abuse ready - though I wouldn't buy another.

[Aug 14, 2002]
MTBMADNESS
Downhiller

Strength:

After riding the XTC AC 1 I have had some really good times on the bike. What made me purchase was 1. price 2. components 3. the travel. You can't ask for more. If you are on a budget and don't want to spend buku bucks then this is the bike for you.

Besides blowing out the Rock Shox Deluxe and going through chains like thier giving them away, I haven't had any issues with the bike..what do you expect when your on a budget!!. .

Remember, the price, the components, and the travel is what made me purchase this bike.

I rode a Cheeta for three years...

[Aug 03, 2003]
Shawn Antonelli

Strength:

Agile and light (relatively)

lot of movement in the backend and very nasty cracking from the headset

if you are a light weight and ride more technical than big hit type DH tracks then an AC-1 is very fast and durable for all the big hit guys out there though a Kona is more likely the bike to buy

[May 01, 2003]
al duff
Downhiller

Strength:

Very light frame yet fairly strong

Broke the swingarm the second day I had it. But Giant got new swingarm to me by the end off the week.

Super light for the amount of travel and burly frame. Rides excellent for now.Great for the hard core freerider who wants to still be able to pedal. Not for XC. Can be built to be under 35 pounds.

Rode custom Trek fuel 90

[Sep 22, 2002]
alex horwath

Strength:

awesome frame ,sweet rear shock when it has oil,stiff

shock leaks when seals are dead

this bike is an awesome freeride bike and dirt jumping and lite downhiller,and even cross country racer

giant rainer gt outpost

[May 26, 2002]
Josh a.k.a. "tough guy "

Strength:

Strong frame design, very huckable, tackles any uphill climb (best taken down) with ease. Excellant groupo. Taking 6 footers is like droping a curb. Tight through corners.

Rear wheel hub blew out on my 3rd ride (very disappointing). Cable too rear derailer wore through paint and is working on my frame now (under seatpost/toptube) check it out-you have this problem also. Went through 2 chains within 4 months due to a tweaked 3-4 cog. Chain constantly skips chainrings under pressure.

Great bike fot the price. Bike shop took care of the rear wheel problem at no charge even included an upgrade. I can take this bike anywhere and do anything with it.

P.S. GO BIG!