Fat City Cycles Fat Chance Titanium Fat Frameset

Fat Chance Titanium Fat

The Titanium Fat Chance is significantly stiffer than other titanium mountain frame designs, while not overriding the supple feel of titanium. Stiffness is the key to maximizing performance in a titanium frame. Stability and predictability have also been engineered into the ride of our Ti Fat resulting in the same "positive control without compromise" of our Yo Eddy. This frame accelerates better than all other Ti mountain frames, climbs like no other, and is more stable in all-out descents. Fat City's size-specific tubesets are proprietary and only available in our Titanium frames.

MIkeY   [Jun 01, 2003]
Strength:

The ride! The innovative touches such as the custom drop outs...

Isn't made any longer... :(

This is an update to my first reveiw-I saw this Ti Fat Frame (an older 94 model with the "mono-stay" rear) on the MTBR Classifieds and I scooped it up just to have it as a "spare" ;)

Similar Products Used: Titanium Fat Chance (My other one), Steel Full Rigid Fat Chance 80's Style...
Ryan P   Cross Country Rider [Sep 14, 2001]
Strength:

It's rarity. I've never seen another. The ride is amazing. I'm no pro, but I love this thing. This has to be the next best thing comfort wise to a full suspension ride. It's just wonderful.

The 1" headset is obsolete. I have an old Judy (w/Englunds) that fits it, You can still buy Marzocchi's to fit it, and I have an AMP Carbon fork that fits. I wish it came with the Big 1" Ti fork, but mine didn't. That's the only thing. I may pursue having a 1-1/8" head tube added as the guy below did.

Not quite as efficient as my fiance's Stumpjumper M2. but that's niggling. I'm not a super powerfull rider, so it's not an issue.

My brother sent me an email a few years back telling me some east coast shop had this frame for sale for $1000 (NEW!) I called them and had it on its way to me in 10 minutes. I NEVER thought I would ever have a chance to own one of these. Didn't the frame once retail for $2300?!

Yeah, there's newer stuff out there, but I don't think I'll ever sell this. I'll probably eventually get a 1-1/8" headtube welded on (if I can ever find a local shop to do it).

Anybody out there know where I can find a Fat Ti Big 1" Fork? I want one badly. Email me with any leads!

I use it for everything. Mtn Biking, dinking around town, road riding, staring at, commuting to work.

If I ever lose this bike, I too will join the effort to hunt down Chris Chance and have him build me another.

Similar Products Used: 1990 circa Fat City Wicked, 1997 circa Specialized FSR, Slingshot Mtn Frame(pre-folding I really liked this bike)
Lynn Johnson   Cross Country Rider [May 22, 2000]
Strength:

I've had the same Fat Chance Ti. frame for 9 years. The only thing that is still original is the kooka cranks, the king headset, a synchros seat post and one rear Mavic ceramic wheel (not the spokes). Everything else has worn out and been replaced at least once. The frame is bullet proof and the geometry is still modern. The rake and stem angle is perfect for the toughest of climbs and switchbacks. I,m not a weight weeny particularly, but without trying to make it light, the bike weighs in at 21.1 lbs.. I'm putting a Mazocchi Z2 AB shock on and taking off a 9 yr. old Rock Shock SL Ti. which has served me well. However, I'll probably be up to 21.6 lbs. when I do. I know of no other rider that has kept his frame for more that half the time that I've had mine, nor ridden theirs 1/4 of the distance. I take the time to do a two hour tough ride almost every day of the ridable year. In my estimation I have in excess of 10,000 hard single track miles on this frame. I probably will never have to buy another frame, unless I can't find a 1" thredless shock to replace the new one when it wears out. It just pays to buy quality and I've got the bike to prove it.

Its 1" thredless stem requirement will eventually be my bikes biggest problem. I may buy a second Marzocchi just to have a backup!

I know that this bike is a very expensive one. Most people have other priorities for their money and time. At least most people are not going to spend as much time and money on a bike as I. If you are only going to ride on weekends and then not that often, you can spend a third as much and have a very servicable machine. My thinking is to buy the very best frame that you can afford. Add to that less expensive parts and as they wear out replace them with parts that will last longer and are lighter. Weight is an important factor, but not something you should become obsessed about. Other companies make good frames also, but I've just never ridden them. Also, just because it says titanium, doesn't mean the geometry or the workmanship is good. Fat Chance frames are, however. I also have a preferance for hardtails, and some opinions (that I wont go into here) about why dual suspensions are being hyped as much as they are. Ride safe.

Similar Products Used: I've never riden anything else. If something happened to this one and couldn't get another, I'd kidnap Chris Chance and force him build me one.
mike snare   Cross Country Rider [Mar 12, 2003]
Strength:

fat legendary build quality, the paint job!

errr, non!

this is just a follow up to say that I've got the fat chance yo! eddy that I was after for so long, a 92 pearlized lavender baby thats mint!

i'm going to be organising fat chance rides on a regular basis in the Uk for all those interested mail me!

scant

Similar Products Used: fat chance ti
mike snare   Cross Country Rider [Mar 02, 2001]
Strength:

this is by far the stiffest drivetrain ti bike ever made. did i say the amazin build quality an flawless handling

fat city shut down last august due to the availability of cheap f.s bikes and lack of demand of quality hard tails.

part of mtb history died when fat city shut down.
this was an still is for the lucky few, one of the great bikes of all time. cambria bike outfitter probabily said it best in their adverts, fat city yo eddy, best steel hard tail, fat city titanium, need we say more.
i could go on about fats legendary handling and build quality, but u know all that, i'm just here to tell the new skool generation, fat city cycles, u missed out. big time.

if anybody has a 2nd hand yo eddy in med to sell i'm def interested!!!

Similar Products Used: merlin, xizange, litespeed kona etc
Kevin   Cross Country Rider [Jul 31, 2000]
Strength:

Everything you can think of and more. I have been riding FAT'S since 1990, I had a "Clasic" then a "Wicked" and now the TI FAT. Fast on climbs, fast and stedy on downs and flawless workmenship

Weaknesses are you jokeing???

The best ride I have ever had. If your looking for a Ti frame and are not so worried about price get one.

Similar Products Used: mirlin
kevin queenan   Cross Country Rider [Jul 19, 2000]
Strength:

I've had my s/m ti fat chance since may of '95, and since then I have worn every single part out a few times over. durability is bomb-proof welding gorgeous, double and triple butted tubes-you do the math-this frame is simply a work of art that rips. I have had the 1'' head tube removed by the folks here in seattle named Ti cycles. They installed a 1 1/8 headtube, and adjusted my cable routing from the side of the top tube to the top of the top tube. (nicer for v-brakes..) next is my disc brake mount.....

the only weakness is your legs and lungs-not the bike dummy

this is the finest mountain frame I have ever ridden-by far. there is no comparible frame out there that is made with so much LOVE. The feeling this baby gives you is worth whatever it takes to buy one.

no gimics, no ads, just a fine frame.

if I wanted another bike I would have used the 1'' headtube excuse to upgrade, but to where? a new fat would be nice, but I have so many miles from the east to west on this frame that it would be a waste not to keep hammering on it.

so now I have my ultimate bike, built up like I want. see you on the trail.

-kq

Similar Products Used: yo eddy! chris chance road/klein/specialized/santa cruz/serotta/crackinfail...i mean cannondale...
Christian   Racer [May 15, 2000]
Strength:

Durability, handling

Price, durability (lasts longer than your own skin)

I used to have this bike. Now I don't have it anymore, but I want it back. I've ridden many different bikes after I had the Fat ti, but still the FAt is my dream bike. How's that for review?

If you have one lying around, send me a mail. Myst be acceptable condition, but all offers will be considered! Medium please!

Similar Products Used: various alu and steel framed hardtails
Brian   cross-country rider [Oct 26, 1998]

Simply the best climbing and handling bike I have ever ridden, without ANY doubt. Instantly made me such a better rider. I converted from a full suspension to this hard-tail without any remorse. The thing bombs on the downhills and is so responsive to every input you give it. Sure its pricey, but if you want the best... Perhaps only Moots or Merlin could even come close.
Mine is set up with mostly XT, some XTR, Kestrel Tiger Bar, Nuke Proof stem, King headset, and Avid's new cables - 23 lbs. for a M/L (18). Five chilis for the all-time sweetest Fat!

ROBERT O.   cross-country rider [Jun 19, 1998]

If you are looking for a titanium hardtail this is it! Fat City is back better than ever! The bike seems to read my mind. I am one with my FAT. Stiff as steel yet has that sweet TI feel. No joke! The welds are perfect and the external butted tubing is cool.Check it out.
For more info see FAT CITY'S web site or call them direct. Mark and Wendyll are very helpful.
THE FAT CITY EVANGELIST