Ellsworth Truth Frameset

Ellsworth Truth Frameset

Cross-Country, full suspension, 4" rear wheel travel, Easton aluminum tubing, shot-peened and anodized finish.

[Apr 19, 2010]
beachdad

Strength:

nice workmanship, all pivots sealed bearings, anodized.

none so far

Nice bike the only thing that has me off my Heckler for more than one ride, I would recommend it to any serious cross country rider. I am 6ft 225 lbs and have been riding on Mt. Tamalpais daily for fifteen years.

Santa Cruz Heckler, Titus Racer X

[Aug 03, 2009]
onza

Strength:

Fast, light, plush suspension for a 4" bike, awesome looking

a bit too much bob in the steeper ascents and out of the saddle climbing/sprints

Liked the climbing on my Epic better, but thats it! Everything else on the Truth kicks its butt! Tracks great on the single track, climbs great...in the saddle, ICT does what its supposed to. Will probably end up switching to the Fox RP23, to firm up the climbing (wish I did that in the first place!). All in all, a killer XC bike!
BTW-hoping Ellsworth will take care of me if any problems...after reading some older posts. I have the '08 model so supposedly the frame is stronger than the older models? Also, if it weren't for the bobbing on the steeper climbs, I woulld have given it the highest rating!

'08 Specialized epic expert

[Jul 20, 2009]
ellslover

Strength:

climbs like a goat, very responsive downhill, so far very strong (lots of 2-5 foot drops), coolest color ever (green - project rainforest)

none so far, price if I had to complain

This bike ROCKS!! Knocked 12 min off my local 9 mile ride with 5 miles of tough climbing and 4 miles of fast tight downhill. The bike really shines however on the 30 - 40 mile rides we often do. I did not trust this until I took my very nice YETI out to ride again, and sure enough 12 min slower. The group I ride with could not believe I was this much faster with the Ellsworth Truth. I can truly climb faster than with my hardtail. I have only had the bike for 2 1/2 mo but have over 500 miles (in Bend we have fairly hardcore xc trails) so far and no problems (hope I don't have any based on other reviews.) I loved my YETI but I have to say so far I am an Ellsworth convert! BTW I am 5 11 and 200 lbs (lots of beer muscle) and would not think twice about buying this bike again.

Yeti as-r, GT i-drive, GT zaskar

[Aug 30, 2008]
Lyle Mc Leod

Strength:

Good ride, very responsive. Cult-like following!

Serious lack of service, and crap attitude towards loyal riders!

Saved for ages, bought my dream bike, and have fought for 2 years to get frame warrentee, top tube welded off center. Ellsworth claim it is not a warrentee issue, and does not effect performance! Yeah like a Ferrari with Toyota doors! I will NEVER ride an Ellsworth again!! Sad, as they are fun to ride! I'd rather ride a tricycle! You should buy this product if you don't care about being a number with no money concerns and can BUY a replacement! You should not buy this product if you want to get the service that comes with a high-end bike!

Trek Fuel, Felt Virtue Team, Titus RacerX, Cannondale Scalpel.

[Jul 19, 2003]
Jake

Strength:

Stylish '02 frame and four bar linkage suspension. Pretty light and anodized finish is sweet. Fun to ride, good stiffness and maneuverable.

Chainstay showed stress fractures in 3 locations and since I bought it used, I was SOL. No big drops or hits, just stress. Thought that since I'd registered as a 2nd owner in Ellsworth website that I might get some love on a return. No luck, just $250 outta my pocket, plus shipping both ways. (They made me ship old chainstay just to tell me I get to spend some money). Pretty lame. They could at least pay shipping for faulty craftsmanship. New chainstay is beefier, feels a little heavier, my fingers a re crossed.

We'll see. I've ridden a Mountain Cycle San Andreas for many years and that frame keeps on takin a lickin. Sure, the Truth is more XC oriented, but it should hold up on some rugged single track shouldn't it? The cracked chainstay totally bummed me out, but hopefully the new, beefier one will hold up. Like I said, we'll see..... Wouldn't pay 2 Gs for a new frame though. Got whole bike with XTR, etc. for $2K used.

Mountain Cycle San Andreas

[Jun 24, 2003]
The Dime

Strength:

Reputation, Looks, Performance

What are these weaknesses you speak of???

I saved my arse off and bought my dream bike, and I couldnt be happier, this rides like a wet dream, no a tight wet dream ....oh yeah, If you are in the market for a new x-country racer, look no further. You get what you pay for.

Santa Cruz superlight

[Jun 01, 2003]
Grant

Strength:

It used to climb well and I felt fairly connected on downhills.

Instant Center Cracking technology. Yep, mine broke.

It blows. You spend this much money on a frame and expect it to hold together. The front triangle was built custom by Ellsworth for a guy that had busted three prior to this one. I purchased the new triangle that was over built and and with different tubing (supposedly beefier) and rode it for two years. I hate to use the ole' JRA excuse but I was riding along on a bumpy singletrack and crack goes the Ellsworth. No drops, nothing too fancy....just gives way.

Because I purchased second hand I have no warranty, my fault not theirs. With their reputation of bikes that fold like beer cans I should have purchased from them or a shop, but I digress so that I was at the very least covered.

No matter what, it was a long six mile hike out contemplating what bike I am to buy next. I can guarantee one thing, it won't be an Ellsworth.

None but will be trying the Turner 5 spot and the SC Blur out in the coming days.

[Dec 10, 2001]
Jim Dover

Strength:

Light weight, excellent rear suspension performance.

None that I'm yet aware of.

First of all I have to admit that I am a member of the Ellsworth/Mazda Race Team, so you can discount my opinions as biased if you want--but this is a no BS review.
For all of you weight weenies out there (I count myself among you) the 2002 Truth frame (medium), with Fox Float RL shock, weighs 5.3 pounds on a digital scale at Fed Ex and at my LBS. The SID CARBON weighs 2.73 pounds which is pretty close to what they advertise (2.68) so I'm pretty confident in the frame weight. I haven't weighed the whole bike yet, but I'm guessing just under 23 pounds.
I rode it for the first time on Saturday and it rides just like the one I rode to second place in the 24 hour World Solo Championships. It's hard to imagine going back to a hardtail again. I can feel the rear suspension working but it doesn't seem to rob any of my power to the wheel. The biggest advantage seems to be on flat, rocky or bumpy sections--you can put it in a big gear and not lose any power because the back end is soaking up the terrain. It definitely feels faster in those situations.
So far, I love it.

Schwinn Homegrown full suspension

[Oct 26, 2001]
Tim Eshelman

Strength:

gREAT ANO FINISH, AD-12 IS GREAT, CLIMBS LIKE A CHAMP

NONE

THIS IS AN AWESOME RIDE. I DID QUITE A BIT OF RESEARCH BEFORE I PURCHASED THIS FRAME AND I EMAILED AND PHONED ELLSWORTH WITH A NUMBER OF QUESTIONS AS WELL. EACH TIME THEY EMAILED A RESPONSE WITHIN 24 HRS AND WHEN I PHONED, THEY WERE MORE THAN WILLING TO LISTEN TO MY QUESTIONS AND GIVE ME ANSWERS. I WEIGH 250 LBS SO I AM STILL BREAKING IN THE FRAME SLOWLY. SO FAR SO GOOD. IF I ENCOUNTER ANY PROBS, I WILL LET YOU KNOW. PRICE IS HIGH, BUT YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

SPECIALIZED FSR, KLEIN ADEPT

[Jan 04, 2002]
Michael Jones

Strength:

Beefy! The rectangular shaped chain and seat stays offer super stiffness. Stand-over on the front triangle is perfect on my medium. I have thrashed this bike from North Georgia to Arizona for almost 3 years and only now is the rear starting to loosen. Time to service the pivots. I have raced this bike DH and sprint with the CC guys on weekends and it offers the best of both worlds. The bike is just amazing! When I first opened the box I sat in the garage for an hour just smiling at it. The paint job was exceptional before I hopped on the saddle.

The welds are very beefy, though not as attractive as the ones on my litespeed ht.

I still love this ride which I originally purchased in '99. My riding style is jekyl/hyde and this bike satisfies both. I would like to hop on one of the new ID's w/ 5 inches in the rear, but I digress. I have punished this bike in DH races and practice. The first rear shock (Statos Helix Pro) could not keep up. The Romic has stood tall for 6 months now and the Z1 is the bottom line. I have placed a lot of $ in this ride no doubt, though it does not collect dust and is still delivering the buzz and that is the Truth!

Santa Cruz, Rocky Mtn Pipeline