Ellsworth Dare Frameset

Ellsworth Dare Frameset

Full suspension, DH or freeride, Easton tubing, 7" rear wheel travel.

[Sep 27, 2001]
dave .
Downhiller

Strength:

light (for a dh rig) but strong. air assist rear shock gives mega adjustability (no need for multiple springs). awesome build quality and attention to detail. rides like most other 7" dh rigs plush as a plush thing. u can set this bike up for hard out dh racing or make it a massive travel freerider. with the right set it could be ridden up not to badly.

the pivot bolts bolt directly into the frame. so... if a bolt comes loose and u dont pick it up for a while the frame threads can be damaged. wide lower swing arm stays
make fitting a chain guide difficult. ( i had to hack into my mrp to make it fit) max rear tyre 2.5. could be a little slacker heas angle for dh.

i have this bike set up for dh hill racing not freeride.
so... its super soft with big tyres at low pressure (10-15 psi).

i have tried a several other downhill bike and havent ridden one that feels better than this.

dammit writers block!

if u want an brillaint dh frame and something thats a little different buy one of these it wont dissapoint.

specialized dh shaun palmer fsr. giant atx dh, foes slammer
kiwi (like a turner) gt lobo

[Jul 22, 1999]
Mike
Downhiller

Strength:

Suspension is amazing. Super plush on bumps, even under braking. Takes big hits and ripple bumps equaly well. Yet it can still climb and sprint with little biopacing. Lightest downhill rig around.

Expensive. A little too heavy to be a cross country bike. Hard to get, I waited 5 months to get mine.

Simply amzing, a downhill bike that you can ride anywhere. My cross country bike sits at home while the Dare goes trailriding with me! Sounds like hype up you need to ride one to understand.

Lawell straight-8, Intense UZI and M-1, Foes slammer, Ventana El Habrenero

[Jan 03, 2001]
Steve Abbott

Strength:

Climbs pretty well
Great downhill

Best all around free ride bike I have ridden from the list above. It climbs as well as the GT in most situations and alot better then the Mountain Cycle and Intense. As far as downhill it's better then all the bikes I've owned. The rear end is softer and the steering is very precise with a 5" fork.

96&98GT LTS Mountain cycle 6" travel Intense Uzzi DH 6" travel

[Dec 03, 2000]
Michael

Strength:

This is a review on the 2000 model Ellsworth Dare.
I figure it is about time for the review.

In April, my SC. Bullit got stolen. That was one of the
best things that ever happened to me. Home Owner's
insurance covered it and I got what I always dreamt for,
the Dare.
My bike set up for DH w/ chain guide over 10lbs heavier
than my bullit still outclimbed it!!!!
I have made it up some
scetchy accents and it weighs in around 38 lbs (DH wheels
and tires) It is the best freeride bike out there as
the only other one that might come close is a Turner RFX.
It can indeed go down too! Not saying it is a world
cup racer but it does decend awesome. The wheelbase is
nice and tight with the proper fork. It can handle
drops as well (did a 10footer at mtn creek)
Brake jack? Nope. the way the linkage is designed
there is no noticeable brake jack.
I rode it this summer downhilling and did well in sport
class-first year racing.
After the season I started riding on my XC nite
rides and kept up my buddies on 24 lb hardtails and
my bike weighed 38lbs! Well, total rubber-tubes/tires
is over 7.5lbs.
Ellsworth Customer rocks too! Michael and George are
awesome to deal with. I always end up talkin with
those guys for at least 10minutes just shootin the poop.

Weaknesses... Riiiiiiiiiiiiigggggghhhhhhtt.

If you want a bike that you can ride with your XC
buddies during the week, Race or freeride on the weekend then buy a DARE!!
Read the ultimate freeride bike.

I am getting the 2001 model for next years DH season,
can't wait.

michael

S.C. bullit-extensively
ridden a S.C. Super8, Chumba... but nothing besides
the Bullit over 6 months in its class.

[Oct 11, 2000]
Adam Stein
Downhiller

Strength:

Nice looking. Light

Swingarm is practically made of tin foil

The bike has a good ride, but the rear swing arm is extrememly fragile... not good for a DH bike.

The worst thing about the bike isnt the bike at all, its the customer service.

I was forced to pay over $300 for a new seatstay arm for my Dare. The customer service representatives I talked to were extrememly unhelpful and unwilling to hear my side of the story. The first person I talked to even went so far as to say someone might have kicked or hit my frame with a hammer. What type of customer service is this? I pay $2500 for someone to mock me. I even showed the arm to some LBS and they said that any other company would warranty that part, and take a loss if they had to just to please their customers...not ellsworth. Not only that they charged me $225 for this part!!!! It has no bearing on it, and the derailluer hanger was fine. They even made a profit off of my bad luck.

To make a long story short, I layed the bike over while riding, I was moving sooo slow that I landed on my feet. The bike falls over and I pick it up to continue to ride, and the seatstay arm was dented and kinked so badly that my wheel wouldnt spin. And all the bike did was fall over.If this is normal for a Dare then the material they use is extrememly weak, and I do not recommend this frame to anyone who rides even remotetly hard.

So... if you want a bike that will bend and kink easy, and get the worst customer service available... get an Ellsworth you cant go right!

Super 8, BMW, Clifcat, Cortina

[Jul 25, 2000]
Robert Lombardi
Downhiller

Strength:

I love downhill but I don't have the luxury of a lift where I go. This bike doesn't hold you back. Uphill is a breeze. The rear end can go through it's entire travel and you wouldn't even notice. The only reason I lock out the rear shock is for super technical climbs or very long and flat uphill when I want to be super efficient at pedalling, otherwise, I just leave the awesome Stratos rear shock on and enjoy the comfort of over 7 inches of rear travel.
The Dare is extremely versatile, you can put a light medium size 5 inch fork on the front, and light XC parts and enjoy a XC bike that'll tear through single track and allow you to travel cross country trails in comfort all day. Or you can deck it out with massive downhill equipment and flatten the mountains as you scream downhill. You can buy two Dare's and have the best of both worlds. Or mix it up a little and have some heavy downhill equipment and three chain rings on the front, which is what I did.
One of the best features?, the Bike just looks awesome. The pictures on the web or in magazines do not do it justice. The anodized finish, the machined rear of the frame, the thick fat tubing, and artfull welds are extremely impressive. The bike will give endless hours of visual enjoyment to both owners and onlookers.
Of course, an exceptional bike would not be complete without exceptional customer service. The guys and gals at Ellsworth are extra friendly. I even recieved a courtesy call shortly after recieving my bike. They wanted to know that I was satisfied with the bike! Now that's service. The monday of the 4th of July weekend my Race Face bottom bracket was moving around while I was pedalling. I feared the worst, that my frame's threads where stripped up. There wasn't a single Ellsworth Dealer open, but Mike at Ellsworth was not only there to help, but had the experience necessary to help me solve my problem. As it turned out, it wasn't the frame, it was the bottom bracket. I threw a new BB in and was riding the next day.
Can't forget the Newsletter, this company periodically sends a newsletter with tidbits of interesting info. For example, this year they are having a Moab trip. I hope to be there. Hope to see you there too! It's always fun to see how others have their Dare setup. and to try out different configurations.

None, it's worth every penny. Oh wait, there is one problem, All your friends will hate you for having this bike. I have two friends that sold their Santa Cruz Bullits and bought a Dare. One of them loves his Dare soo much that when he crashed, he was focused more on the safety of his Dare than on his very own body.

Anyone that wants to have a fulfilling and new experience with a Bike should invest in the Dare. This bike has it all. Functionality, Durability, Comfort, Style and Character just to name a few.
Take Care.

Santa Cruz Bullit, ProFlex Beast.

[Mar 02, 2000]
George Wisell
Downhiller

Strength:

Being able to smoke my friends in rock sections, cornering. Its lightweight, and I especially like the jealouse looks from all the people who realize they made a mistake and bought something else

you can never ride anything else again. My first Dare was stolen last year, so I had to buy another. The only problem I've ever had is a loose bearing, which is an easy fix, and some custom "cnc" mahining I had to do to make some parts work

nothing can touch it from any standpoint. Nothing is built like it, nothing else rides like it, nothing else looks like it, although alot really try. Truly a work of art.
Buy it now!

Yeti Lawill 6/8 GT STS1 DH, Kona Stab, MOuntian Cycles Shockwave

[Feb 29, 2000]
Budha Bomber
Downhiller

Strength:

EVERYTHING!!!
It's a DH'r, Trail bike, All mountain, Freeride, XC(not racing though), Bad @ss mamer-jammer!!!!

??Price???- not if you concider the fact that this is the only bike you'll need though.

Bottom line?
It rocks!!!
What else can I say about a bike that does it all (and well for that matter). I can still climb w/ my hardtail buddies and when the trail starts to point down... It's all over. They get SMOKED!!!
Top quality construction.
One of the best designs.
Great on big hits and stutter bumps.
real tight steering w/ my setup.
This bike really shines on tight twisting DH singletrack.
The only place other DH bikes are any better is on REAL steep chutes/drop-ins b/c of the high BB and less slack head tube angle on the Dare.

Lots-none No other bike is like this @least that I've tried

[Dec 10, 1999]
Pup
Downhiller

Strength:

Stiff, Strong, PLUSH, Light, FAST!!!!

NONE

This bike is fast, plush, and light. This bike doesn't like to go slow. Mine is very light for a DHO. weighing in at 29 lbs. You can go off 15 to 30 foot drop offs with ease. A blast to jump.
BEST DHO BIKE MADE!!!!!!

Intence, Rotec

[Aug 30, 1999]
Randall Keegan
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

Light wght, sturdy construction w/ plenty of travel. Sucks up drops and steeps on demand - best at high speeds. Climbs as well as any XC bike - in fact better than most!!

Geometry makes some extreme technicals and singletrack a chore at low speed...momentum never meant more.

Much better all mountain ride than I ever imagined. Hardtails leave u behind only on the most technical ascents, but they're all just rocks on the trail as u mow them down on the decent!!! Handles steeps, and dropoffs better than anything I've ridden - but beware slow speed is ur enemy! Momentum never meant so much.

Kona Stab and Stab delux (too heavy), Intense Uzzi (weaker handling), Santa Cruz Heckler (can't take the beating), Rocky Mtn Element T.O. - great for less extreme XC.