DeKerf TeamST Frameset

The Team ST is the ultimate cross-country weapon. With its one-of-a-kind bonded-in titanium chainstays and pivotless softail suspension unit, the ST provides all-day comfort without the maintenance and power-loss associated with most full-suspension designs. A Reynolds 853 main triangle and our super-precise and stiff wishbone stays give the ST laser-sharp handling and maximum power transfer in a feathery-light package.

Of the Joe yes   Cross Country Rider [Jul 06, 2002]
Strength:

Seems pretty strong - it's survived world cup DH courses - and trails that make said world cup DH courses look like a sunday picnic. Worth noting that this might not be the case for everybody - I'm only 10.5 stone.

Pretty light for 853 - lighter than the 853 hardtails that I was previously considering. Makes a very satisfactory XC and endurance race bike.

Rear suspension may not soak everything up, but it takes the edge off, stops you skittering around so much, and leaves you feeling less beat up after an epic ride.

Geometry is confidence inspiring and fits me like a glove. Might not be the same for you of course.

Looks sweet, very well put together, work of art.

The paint job is pretty flimsy which is a shame.

The head tube is very short and looks gay.

On big bad terrain you feel like a twat for buying a frame with 1" of travel when you could have had 6.

In XC races you feel like a twat for buying a frame that weighs 4lb when for the same money you could have had one that weighs 3.

Great trail bike. Build it up to do it all. Might put some 100mm Marathons or Floats on to make it a bit more versatile, but apart from that, the only bike I think I'll ever need (tho there's plenty more I want...)

Value rating is in terms of what the frame costs new. In terms of the 400 UK squid I paid for it, 10/10/.

Similar Products Used: OCLV ST and various ti frames briefly, plus lots of ally and steel hardtails over longer periods.
mik fenwick   Cross Country Rider [Mar 02, 2002]
Strength:

rides like the wind
looks like true love
feels like i won

dont be silly[it`s a DeKerf!

the finest bike on the planet and if you disagree then you`re wrong!

Similar Products Used: generation/team sl/litespeed/moots/merlin
Chad Johnston   Cross Country Rider [May 28, 2001]
Strength:

The ride is SHWEET!!! I love this bike. The paint chips, but it looks sooo good. The frame has a little bit of flex that makes long rides so smooth. I don't know what is so hard about the suspension adjustment, got some directions and did it - easy as that. If you get a chance - buy this bike, you will love it. Oh - lifetime warranty.

paint, but it is painted - not powdercoated.

SHWEET!

Similar Products Used: Willits Ti, Cannondale
ben   [May 22, 2001]
Strength:

ok, so i sent my bike back in,
the fixer upper is very very nice.
paint problem has been fixed, and i dont anticipate breaking this bike.
this last weekend at fruita was supreme, and no problems. once again my fave bike.
i guess ebay will have to wait...

excellent

ben   [Oct 29, 2000]
Strength:

handles well, i agree. very comfortable...

a little sloppy tracking through the corners, you can feel the frame twisting when you turn. oh yeah, and it breaks. mine broke right where the ti stay is bonded in, and this is a common problem. just check the f/s reviews. 3 out of 6 folks broke this frame...!!!

ok bike. i will not buy another one. in fact when (and if) i ever get my frame back from them, look for it on ebay...! heh heh.

Similar Products Used: none
Nick Kraly   Cross Country Rider [Jun 21, 2000]
Strength:

weight, ride, style

paint chips very easily, rear shock was unmaintainable, frame cracked at bottom bracket

Great idea, great ride, frame was recalled within 3 months of purchase to inject epoxy to reinforce the bottom bracket weld. 5 months later frame cracked right at the bottom bracket, Dekerf offered to re-weld, not acceptable. Also,I was unable to take the rear shock apart to clean it after hours of frustration and a set of directions that didn't add up. I'm moving on to a less experimental more consistent ride. If you're looking for a bike to frame and hang on the wall I recommend the Dekerf. But if riding is a big part of your life go with something more predictable.

Similar Products Used: Dean, litespeed
Steve   Cross Country Rider [Feb 09, 2000]
Strength:

handling and craftsmanship

Ok so my paint is chipping pretty easily to but you forget about that when riding this amazing bike

What an amazing bike. Recent review in bike magazine called it the best handling bike in the world and they are right. Quick, nimble, smooth riding bike that carves a tight line but is still stable at high speeds. Climbs like a dream. Had a chance to ride this bike on the wet, twisty and rooty Vancouver trails where it was born and it never flinched once. The inch or two of travel in the softail smooths things out great and helps tons with the climbing. I ride this bike as hard as I can and it still wants more. Wow. this could very well be the last bike I buy. By the way I bought the 98 frame which had the Ritchey steel stays not the new titanium ones. Apparently the switch to the Ti stays was because of delivery delays from Ritchey and not quality. I've heard a few reports of the Ti stays breaking where they are bonded to the steel but I guess that's a repair issue to take up with Dekerf or your dealer.

Similar Products Used: Ritchey, Schwinn Homegrown
Al   Weekend Warrior [Oct 15, 1999]
Strength:

Flawless construction

Unbelievable craftsmanship

Similar Products Used: Cannondale Super V
Bill   Cross-Country Rider [Aug 18, 1999]

This bike climbs like a mtn goat, corners like a chetah and takes off like a jack rabbit. My only complaint is that the paint on the down tube is chipping. After 5 weeks and 200 some miles I expected more durable paint.This bike is so light and responsive that I have to learn to change my riding style. First time out I bunny hopped a water bar on a turn and cleared the whole trail... face plant...I am making it up climbs that I never even bothered trying before. And easily clearing many of those that often took two or three tries. Nothing is perfect so I would give it a 4.8, if available. Minus .2 for the chipped paint. Rounding off, I guess that would be a 5.

Sean   Cross-Country Rider [Mar 28, 1999]
Strength:

The frame handles exceptionably well in all phases of riding.

steel can rust

I couldn't ask for any better ride out of the TeamST. The bike is an exceptional climber and is actually inspiring through tight technical sections. I could rave all day about how great this frame is, but I don't want to sound like i'm just hyping my own bike. The only concern I have about the bike is that it is made out of steel and is therefore susceptable to rust. In any case, I strongly recommend it to anyone who want a great handling bike; just be sure to treat the inside of the frame with frame saver before building it up.