De Kerf Team Frame Frameset

De Kerf Team Frame

David Dowse   Weekend Warrior [May 28, 2000]
Strength:

('99 Team SL)Fantastic design, attention to detail and build.
Inspiringly smooth and fast ride sensation

Yes the lush paint soon chips and scratches too easily and touch-up paint not available.
My seat tube was poorly reamed and integral seat collar is neat but not as convienent as quick release type

Undoubtably Mr DeKerf has created a timeless masterpiece. A work of great pipe wizardry and I have to confess when I first got my Viper Blue Team SL I lovingly gazed for hours at all those neat unique details. But it's not just a pretty face, some in-depth structural thinking went into shaping this frame's beautifully welded tubes. But if like me you think the finish is smooth, wait till you ride it. Silky smooth, as it just seems to sail over ever trail trama. Leach like traction and not a moments drama as you try and keep up with a bike begging for the next gear. A bike for connoisseurs that excels as an all-rounder, but it's real show piece is scorching your favourite singletrack faster than you ever thought possible.

Similar Products Used: Other bike is a Kona Kilauea
AVERY   racer [Sep 20, 1998]

I drove to canada and got myself the team soft tail,this bike is the fastest bike i have been on ,steel is still the way to go.The bad news is i broke my clavical racing this rocket10 days after i got it.Now i spend my days dreaming of next season.The best part is i called dekerf and they helped me locate this frame.Never buy a cookie cutter bike they have no passion for what biking is still about.

Ryan Schnepf   downhiller [Sep 24, 1998]

I purchased a DeKerf Generation frame recently and am racing dual slalom and some x-country on it. This is the most unbelievable bike I have ever had. I have had a Kona which I liked, I had a KHS (which I hated),and my last bike was a Rocky Mountain Vertex T.O. I loved my Rocky but it was nothing compared to my DeKerf. I think the coolest thing about DeKerf is that you pick whatever color you want.

chris sikorski   cross-country rider [Sep 22, 1998]

98 dekerf team sl frame.i have ridden all the others but nothing holds a candle to my dekerf.Sweetest ride in the world.Hooked up with syncros it is a show stopper. Waiting for my custom prodigy road frame.Climbs as good as my cdale but still can walk after a 2 hour ride.Being 6'5' 195 the bike is stiff enough for a sprint or the toughest climb. paint is soso but waiting for a awsome custom paint job. Two thumbs up to Chris Dekerf and Rene . what a fine job

Drew   weekend warrior [Mar 24, 1998]

The paint job on these frames look's great out of the box but doesn't look that way for long. Paint chips off super easy. The derailer hanger is not beefy enough and is a common repair for this frame. The warranty service....well, not as good as one might hope. The up-side is that the frame rides like a dream. :>(

Nancy Coles   weekend warrior [Jul 12, 1997]

My '97 TeamSL is off the scale incredible. Light & lively yet stiff. A great climber yet comfortable down the otherside. These are the best kept secret in
mountain biking. Oh yea, green have never looked so good.

Deke   [Sep 14, 2000]
Strength:

Light! Strong! Stiff! This frame gets used for technical
x-country and trials riding, and has been as smooth as silk to ride (rigid!!!!). Very agile & responsive, with a aluminum like climbing ability.

The built-in seatpost collar isn't great for my use, but for a light steel frame a couple of grams saved is good.

If you want a high performance frame that rides like it's on rails, is stronger than a s*#t brickhouse, and you can climb
like it's aluminum, then this is the frame for you!! Steel is smooth to ride, & Chris Dekerf's beautifull welding and
the wishbone seat-stays make this frame one quick feeling
ride! Airbourne has the style right but they will never touch the incredible strenght of the DeKerf welds!
If you x-country ride and want a light bike the can be built a around the 23-24 lb. mark no problem. For trials it's a bit pricey, but you can't take it with you......

Similar Products Used: '97 DeKerf Generation frame, '94 TBL Ozone Pro frame,
and an old school Ritchey frame (great frame, U-brakes suck!).
Dan Paulson   Cross Country Rider [Sep 12, 2000]
Strength:

handling traits,craftsmanship,unique design,weight(relative to steel),spectacular "looking paint".

price,poor paint (in terms of durability

Best hardtail I've ever ridden.......hands down. I am a bit of a steel connosieur, and this is where it is at, sorry if'ers. My only complaint is the paint job, which looks great, but flakes oh so easily. Plus, I wouldn't have been able to afford it had I not gotten a deal, which also sucks for most people, yet it it worth it if you can muster the coin. I would recommend riding some lesser quality steel for a long time before getting this frame, then you will appreciate the finer qualities that much more.

HR (I rated it so high on value, because I believe you can't put a price on singletrack nirvana.)

Similar Products Used: Fisher Xcal 97' 853
Cuda a2b tange
SPec M2
Paul   Cross Country Rider [May 25, 2000]
Strength:

Fairly compliant ride, nice frame detail/design and 'exclusivity'(not really that useful in real terms)

The paint quality on a frame of this price is absolutely scandalous- paint chips really easily and with steel this is not a good look, especially when you live in this kind of changeable climate. The stiffness of the front triangle is also a bit of an issue- the physical flex is almost scary and makes for bad tracking over roots, tight turns and rutty stuff. Only really suitable for short-=travel(63mm)suspension forks.Also super easy to dent.

This frame is not worth the money. Dont get me wrong, it is a nice frame and rides ok-good for long rides etc. but these qualities can be gained for a lot less money(even though i got a staff discount).Too many drawbacks to justify it, and the *its a dekerf-wow!*(~lots of dosh)thing is not a justification for this.
On reflection, would have bought a Ti frame instead- stiffer and more durable.

Similar Products Used: cannondale, trek, marin etc.
Bill   Cross Country Rider [May 30, 2001]
Strength:

Strong, light, stiff

Yeah, the paint sucks

Well folks this takes a story,
I go out for a ride with some friends. We drive to the trailhead with no problems. It's a great day for a ride, the trails are dry and challenging, and the bike is amazing. We ride for the afternoon until my friends are getting tired, but not me because this frame is so forgiving. So we load up the cars to go home, with my bike on the back of the other car.
Well as we are traveling down the highway at a hundred km/h I watch with horror as my bike slides off the back of the other car. I see it bounce, and bounce, then complete anarchy reigns around it as it spins and flips down the side of the road. I think my conversation at the time went like this:
ME "that's my bike"
CHRIS (he is driving) "What?"
ME "that's my bike"
CHRIS "Oh my God"
Then silence as we slowed down and pulled over. I get out of the car and walk down the shoulder, images of tacos and pretzels going through my head. I reach my bike, pick it up and spin the rear wheel, it's still true. This is a good sign. We throw the bike in the back and take it home.
After going over my bike with a fine toothed comb all I could find wrong with it is a broken rear shifter, front deraileur and a bent rigid fork. The frame is still true for which I am extremely grateful as Dekerf is no longer brazing frames. Now I know I will never crash hard enough to abuse my frame the way it was pushed during that slight mishap, I would need to land sideways at 30 which just won't happen.
So I am now quite convinced that this frame is ultra strong, as well as being the nicest riding bicycle I have ever owned.
As for the rating I give it a five all around.