Croll 853 Frameset

Ben Rainbow   Racer [Nov 15, 1999]
Strength:

supple steel
clearence
agile
tough

a real champ of a climber
point and shoot accuracy
this bike has TONS of fun

Similar Products Used: Bianchi
1x1
Cannondale
Nishiki
Micah Kohles   Cross-Country Rider [Jun 15, 1999]
Strength:

Steel frame.
Awesome Paint detail.
Superb handling.

Paint tends to chip easily.

I use to ride a Cannondale killer V 2000 before I got my croll and the difference across the board was huge. The Croll is the best handling, best looking and easiest bike to ride I have ever had. The guys who make these bikes do it becuase they love it not to make a buck and it clearly shows in the product. If and when I have to stop riding my Croll the frame is going to hang in my house as a token of absolute sweetness.

Dave Chase   Racer [Jun 11, 1999]
Strength:

very light for steel frames
absolutely beautiful paint
excellent welds
no chainstay bridge

paint can chip easily

I had a standard 21 frame for 2 years that was incredible. This October I got another one and had Frank adjust a few things - now it's even better!. I had the seat collar turned around to avoid muck in the seat tube. Also, this bike lacks a chainstay bridge. Any overly-stiff qualities of the other frame are now removed. 853, in my opinion, rides a little stiffer than other steels I've ridden. Without the chainstay bridge, the ride feels like a good steel bike should feel. Don't worry about the paint chipping, though - You can get about any paint you want.
This frame is the type that you have to tell it exactly what to do, but once told, it will execute flawlessly. The angles are fairly steep, with 16.5 stays, so I wouldn't exactly recommend it to someone without some bike handling experience. Climbs like a mad mountain goat and flies on tight singletrack.
I live and ride in CO, but I'm from the midwest, so I still prefer a bike that's more at home on singletrack and tight woods than a fire road bike. Easily the best, friendliest bike I've ever ridden.

steve   Cross Country Rider [Jun 20, 2002]
Strength:

853....need I say more. I have went thought bikes like crazy. This one I am going to keep. THERE IS NO WAY YOU CAN BREAK THIS BIKE! short chainstays make it a great climber. very light.

paint is as fragile as a woman going though pms.

if your looking for a bike that you are going to keep forever this is it, or a gunner rockhound. It 853...I am a light rider at 170lbs but I always ride hard. Accept no substitute. When you see a broken frame any 853 just silently says I told you so and smiles.